If your going to charge me for a dozen then give me a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

payledragon

We've had this happen at a few places. Also, we got a bad batch of crickets.. which makes me nervous to feed them to my babies. One day, I went to the store, got a few crickets, gave them to Skitz and Toe and 10 minutes later, I noticed some regurgitated crickets .. and both beardies looking like they were not feeling well. Scared me to death!! Thankfully, they did not get sick from them. Probablly, due to them throwing them back up. In the past, I had a snake die from a bad rat, so I'm very picky on the live prey I feed my babies. If they smell slightly bad.. they are bad. Learned that with the last batch of crickets. :puke:

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
payledragon":67cb8 said:
We've had this happen at a few places. Also, we got a bad batch of crickets.. which makes me nervous to feed them to my babies. One day, I went to the store, got a few crickets, gave them to Skitz and Toe and 10 minutes later, I noticed some regurgitated crickets .. and both beardies looking like they were not feeling well. Scared me to death!! Thankfully, they did not get sick from them. Probablly, due to them throwing them back up. In the past, I had a snake die from a bad rat, so I'm very picky on the live prey I feed my babies. If they smell slightly bad.. they are bad. Learned that with the last batch of crickets. :puke:

I actually had a beardie almost die from live crickets at a pet store. I know since after eating them his poop smelled bad and I mean bad for about 4 months. Took him off the crickets and live feeders for a while. Now only give my beardies a few live feeders the rest is pellets and greens and fruit as well as the odd bit of canned bugs.

Also I have had some stories of pet stores. Such as this one where there was a ebardie missing most of his tail. I asked if they would sell me the beardie for half price. The lady tried to tell me that there tail grows back. I told her I knew for a fact that was not the case and she actually argued with me.

Or how about the time and this was a real costly thing they did to me by the way. Anyway they were selling what appeared to be a fabric cage. I asked them about it they told me it was fiberglass. I asked if sitting the light on it will burn it. They tell me it is deishgned for that. I asked if bugs could chew through it and they again assured me it would not. Well this was for a chamellion they have to eat live food. Well I feed my chamellion before going out the day after I bought it which I set it up that morning. Well I come home it smelled of burned plastic and noticed the light burned a hole in the cage and to top if off the crickets mostly all got out because they chewed through the mesh I was told they could not chew through.

I acontacted them about it and they would not refund my money and bassically said sucks to be you and that was it. So I ended up having to buy a new cage after I just bought that one and the cage cost me 180 bucks talk about a ripp off. They bassically lied to me about the product. Either they knew all the problems and did not tell me or did not know and just said they did without really knowin. Well later on that pet store stopped selling the type of cage I bought.

It is obvious to me I was not the only one ripped off buying that cage. Obviously other customers complained for them to remove it from there store. Not only that the owner when I spoke to him chuckled as if it was funny. Thankfully though the chamellion was unharmed. But the cage and the fake plants inside did not fair so well. Thankfully the chamellion seemed to know better then to go near the melting stuff. The light actually melted through the top and fell into the cage. The fake plants were mostly all melted and the wood branch it fell on was charred.

I certainly hope no one can top that bad pet store story. But any thing that stores do I say stores since not only pet stores do that kind of stuff. Though this is for living animals not a toaster or tv or something.

That pet store almost killed not just that animal but all my animals as I was lucky it did not burn my house down. Heck if I was in the house they very well could have also killed me with the stunt they pulled. Of course you can bet the pet store would not have given me a dime if that happened.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Grh15, Is it just me, or are you particularly unlucky with pet stores? lol I have read quite a few stories about you and petstores. :lol: Bd.org needs to open their own reptile store because we know what people and reptiles need! :protest:

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
haleygirl272":b4a41 said:
Grh15, Is it just me, or are you particularly unlucky with pet stores? lol I have read quite a few stories about you and petstores. :lol: Bd.org needs to open their own reptile store because we know what people and reptiles need! :protest:

No it is not just you with pet stores I have horrible luck. That is why the bearded dragons and the water dragon I have all came from breeders and not pet stores.

mavl666

That is why I like mom and pop stores. If there are extra crix, worms, etc they charge me for what I asked. I seem to end up with more.

boxers

Hatchling Member
ronni1221":878ca said:
YARGH! I know the feeling! The other thing a hate about petsmart's cricket ways is that after they've counted the exact 12, you get into the car and realize that one is dead/dying. Why are they so darn anal about the crickets. It's not like they take an inventory of them at the end of the day.

Not every day, no, but once or twice weekly. :?

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
Wow you all pay crazy prices for crickets. I pay $5.00 for 100 or $23.00 for a case of 1000. I think you should all move to south FL!! :mrgreen:

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Krisymof2":7d27f said:
Wow you all pay crazy prices for crickets. I pay $5.00 for 100 or $23.00 for a case of 1000. I think you should all move to south FL!! :mrgreen:

I agree move to florida to buy crickets, In my area 100 is 3.75 and 200 is 7.00 I forget how much for 1000 as I am currently buying small and adult crickets.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Krisymof2":dd930 said:

That is about the price here as well if you buy over 100. For me the crickets are simply a treat for my lizards so I never buy more then 30 at a time. only live feeder I keep in the house is super worms and sometimes locusts. Now the locusts I will buy 100 at a time when I get them and it only costs me 10 bucks for 100 locusts which is not bad they are much bigger then crickets.

But 23 bucks does sound about what a thousand would cost if you bought them where I live and my location is right beside my posts. I think it just has to do with many stores simply gouging people.

payledragon

Yes, I really dislike when I see 1-3 dead crickets when I get to the truck [5 minutes after buying them] and how dare I bring them back in and ask for replacements. :shock: The other week, my landlord bought the kids some worms . mealworms. I open the container and noticed a RANK smell. PHEW, it threw me back. I began to dig around and MOST of the worms were black and long dead. When I asked my landlord if she looked at the worms, she said "you know I don't like those things." I thanked her for the container and told her the store sold her a tub of dead worms. It was GROSS! I must SMELL, TOUCH and SEE everything I'm buying for my kids.

any news on the silkworm shortage? All the stores around here are telling me there is a shortage. Well, this shortage has been going on for 2 years now... is this true? I find it hard to believe.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
payledragon":0a946 said:
Yes, I really dislike when I see 1-3 dead crickets when I get to the truck [5 minutes after buying them] and how dare I bring them back in and ask for replacements. :shock: The other week, my landlord bought the kids some worms . mealworms. I open the container and noticed a RANK smell. PHEW, it threw me back. I began to dig around and MOST of the worms were black and long dead. When I asked my landlord if she looked at the worms, she said "you know I don't like those things." I thanked her for the container and told her the store sold her a tub of dead worms. It was GROSS! I must SMELL, TOUCH and SEE everything I'm buying for my kids.

any news on the silkworm shortage? All the stores around here are telling me there is a shortage. Well, this shortage has been going on for 2 years now... is this true? I find it hard to believe.

Reminds me of the first time I ordered a thousand crickets went home and 90% of them were dead. I stopped buying live criskets they were a pain to keep and many arrived to me dead. I think we all know how rank dead crickets smell. They did give me a new box but still that was gross. Trust me you never want to know what hundreds of dead crickets at once smells like. But they made good fertaliser for the plants I dumped the dead ones outside around the plants.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I get a 1000 delivered next day for $20 from a wonderful place here in NC. But they mainly deal with wholesalers, and wont ship to individuals unless they are in NC, they dont want to have to worry about crickets dying during shipping.
I have to say that luckily I dont think I have ever gotten one dead cricket in my shipments from them. I was glad to be over crickets since Waffle and Foster will NOT eat them anymore, but since I got the baby, I am back to ordering bulk crickets.

Jessd123

do you have any pet stores that and teenagers work at? i live in pa and we have a chain here called "pet supplies plus" and i make it a point to ask for less than i would even consider buying just so i only have to pay 2$ for like 700 crickets... i guess it just depends where u go and who is working... teenagers are good for the whole not caring thing... do u have any of those petstores around there? i personally hate petsmart... no offense to any good petsmart workers... but... the one around here cares very little for their reptiles... i try to never give them my business UNLESS i absolutely HAVE to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom