If I am using BSFL and silkworms to top salads - how do I cut her bugs down?

sconley

Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
My 1.6 year old female doesn't naturally know what salad is, she does eat it when her salads are topped with BSFL and silkworms, dubias etc, I gutload them with nutrients, top her salad with Arcadia earthpro, dragon fuel occasionally and herbimix flowers safe for beardies from a reptile shop, she likes bee pollen too. But if the salad has no bugs she won't eat it, also she is aiming for the bugs so naturally leaves the greens behind, I'm worried she is getting too much protein and not enough greens. What can I do here?

I have thought about offering a slurry and seeing if she'd lick that off a syringe?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 1.6 year old female doesn't naturally know what salad is, she does eat it when her salads are topped with BSFL and silkworms, dubias etc, I gutload them with nutrients, top her salad with Arcadia earthpro, dragon fuel occasionally and herbimix flowers safe for beardies from a reptile shop, she likes bee pollen too. But if the salad has no bugs she won't eat it, also she is aiming for the bugs so naturally leaves the greens behind, I'm worried she is getting too much protein and not enough greens. What can I do here?

I have thought about offering a slurry and seeing if she'd lick that off a syringe?
You can try the slurry- I would cut her insects down to 2-3 times per week- sprinkle the bee pollen on the salads when you do t feed the insects- she should only get the insects now 2-3 times a week- you can also use super worms to lure her on the days she doesn't get the insects only use 2 hornworms can be used as well

sconley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
You can try the slurry- I would cut her insects down to 2-3 times per week- sprinkle the bee pollen on the salads when you do t feed the insects- she should only get the insects now 2-3 times a week- you can also use super worms to lure her on the days she doesn't get the insects only use 2 hornworms can be used as well
Cool thanks, do you think that will be ok then if she only ends up eating a bit of her greens when she gets her bugs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cool thanks, do you think that will be ok then if she only ends up eating a bit of her greens when she gets her bugs?
Yes as long as your getting some into her --- eventually she may come to eat them -- I now have a 4 year old that has just started eating his greens - took me putting them into his tank since he was a baby to get him to eat them --- but I didnt have the tips I have now to get him to eat them --- it takes lures when they are a baby and man are they stubborn creatures --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't go down the slurry route. A lot of dragons that get used to being hand fed slurries like that become extremely stubborn and picky and only want to be hand fed the slurry.

I always recommend just cutting out live insects completely until they start eating their salads.

-Brandon

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom