idea for a sticky...misc costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
I'm embarrased to say this but I never dreamed that owning a bearded dragon would cost so much. I did research (this site...and others) before getting my dragon and new that the set-up costs would be a few hundred dollars but had no idea that I would be spending so much on feeders, accessories, etc.

Please don't misunderstand me, I love my dragon and wouldn't give him up no matter what, but, had I known how much his care would cost I may have held off on buying him till maybe next year. I can tell you I've paid well over $400.00+ since July on several things (and this does not include the vet bills which were another $500.00+) I probably paid more for several things because I bought them twice. I bought the wrong items and then found here something better was recommeded and ended up buying something different. and Again, PLEASE do not misunderstand, I do not regret it and I would do it all over again....I am lucky to be able to afford it because he is such an amazing addition to our family. He is priceless!

What about making a sticky post that lists different items and their approximate costs....doesn't have to be really complicated with brand names and such just general items.

Maybe then when someone comes to the boards inquiring about getting a BD they could get a real-world estimate. Knowing what you need to get and how much it will cost can be two very different things :D Members then could just copy and paste the link to them incase they don't stumble accross it.

Some of the experienced members may be better at this and can edit through this as necessary....I'm still pretty inexperienced ... :oops: I also haven't had him that long so couldn't give an accurate cost for adult BD's needs and what they would add up to.
Everyone could just add on to the thread as they purchase something or if they recall and then it would be a little more accurate.

Just an idea-What do ya think?
(EXAMPLE ONLY.....APPROXIMATES....)

Baby and Juvenile
Feeders:
$80.00-$120.00 live feeders per month (via on-line ordering)
$20.00 fresh vegetables per month-maybe more (mine won't eat them but I offer anyway)
Lighting:
$25.00-$50.00 for UVB tube lights (2 x per year/ or yearly for MVB)
$30.00 - $50.00 clamp lights and UVB fixtures (once only)
$5.00-$10.00 misc. wattage household bulbs (1-2 times yearly)
Accessories:
$15.00 - 40.00 cage furniture (ramps, hides, etc) (1-3 times yearly as they grow)
$5.00 - 20.00 substrate (depends greatly on what you use how often you will purchase it
Health and Beauty :mrgreen:
etc.
etc.
etc.

Let me know what you think...If it is too "Messy" of an idea I won't be offended....Just thought it could help someone out there :D

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
That's a good idea. However, I'm surprised by the amount that you're spending on feeders. For my 3 dragons granted they are adults, so they eat less than dragons under a year old, I spent about $50/mo for bulk feeders. I would order 500 (crickets or super worms) at a time and it was about $25 each order (2 a month). I started my own roach colony now, which is sustained and does not require any additional cost. It was costly at first until I found some good suppliers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to come back to this tomorrow (or Monday) to get something put together.

-Alex

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie":e71a0 said:
That's a good idea. However, I'm surprised by the amount that you're spending on feeders. For my 3 dragons granted they are adults, so they eat less than dragons under a year old, I spent about $50/mo for bulk feeders. I would order 500 (crickets or super worms) at a time and it was about $25 each order (2 a month). I started my own roach colony now, which is sustained and does not require any additional cost. It was costly at first until I found some good suppliers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to come back to this tomorrow (or Monday) to get something put together.

-Alex

I didn't mean for more work for you....just lock a thread that other members have added to-or a link on a care sheet maybe.
I think I've spent so much on feeders because they have come in the wrong size a few times and or have grown too large for him before I could feed them off. I didn't want to buy them from the pet stores because they looked so dirty. And like I said, I had to buy some things twice because of lack of experience. But this comes with Newbie territory at the Beardie Slave boot-camp I guess LOL :D

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
zamboni":d6b4d said:
thats a really good idea items, prices, and the websites they are found on that would rock!!!! :blob8:

Actually, I'd prefer that such a thread stay more generic. As I think the intent of the OP also was, it should be a guide to help set expectations on what the costs and expenses can be. I don't want it to be a "sales" thread, otherwise I end up getting into the game of different vendors wanting me to add them to the list, and complaining I listed someone else, but not them... yada yada... I'll let people with first hand experience continue to recommend or discourage the use of specific vendors or products.

But it is a good idea. I would like the sticky to be nice and clean, and probably without replies and all, so it is more an informational post instead of a lengthy discussion.

-Alex

amime

Hatchling Member
But it is a good idea. I would like the sticky to be nice and clean, and probably without replies and all, so it is more an informational post instead of a lengthy discussion.

Hope this doesn't mean I shouldn't reply at all just not with discussion :)

I noticed a big item missing from the list.... The enclosure!

I think new buyers are sometimes told misinformation by the pet stores and wind up with a 20 gallon long for their baby dragon without understanding that a $100+ tank (unless they find it used) is in their future.

I'm building my own viv and I'm up at $200 + already :puke:
40 gallon breeder: ~ $130

Just a thought from a new dragon slave who's feeling the wallet pains (totally worth it though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom