I think my dragon is dead ??

amr17

Original Poster
My bearded dragon was perfectly healthy yesterday, she is around 7 yrs old, she was running around & had a bowel movement it was either yesterday or the day prior. The movement seemed healthy, i guess a little bit more watery than normal but nothing crazy or concerning. I'm pretty sure it was yesterday but my bf thinks it was the day before but either way it was one of those(she has this weird thing about going to the bathroom in her tank where she basically will not do it at all costs& will start basically attacking the glass of her tank scratching &jumping up at the glass until we take her out& where we usually place her on some paper towels & she immediately goes, so anyways it was definitely one of the last two days& after she ran around for a while with plenty of energy & fine)
So...
Today suddenly I was going to put a salad in her tank when I noticed she was on her rock really lopsided to the point she was like almost sideways & it looked very odd like something was wrong & When I got closer I noticed that she wasn't moving or blinking or anything &her stomach looked like a balloon it was so enormous like it was going to explode, I freaked out& called my bf down& by the time he came down like 10 seconds later she basically fell of the rock completely onto her back no movement& looking dead, both her stomach& her beard literally look like they've been pumped up with air like a balloon.
At first I just thought something was really wrong but then my boyfriend said she was definitely dead. I think she is dead also but I want to be sure& understand what happened.
My bf thinks the bloated swelling look is probably like how when humans are dead& decompose they do that from all the gas released. Is that something that bearded dragons also do, how quickly would that occur under the heat lights, or is that not normal & likley from whatever caused her death? I can't figure out what would cause this so suddenly when she was totally fine just yesterday.

Jessss

Hi,
I’m so sorry this has happened,I am not sure of what the cause may have been but will tag someone who might be able to help a bit more @Drache613 Please keep her in her viv,right way up if possible.Not on her back.I would recommend keeping her in the viv over night and see if there is any change in the morning.Vets usually keep beardies over night to make sure they’re actually gone as they take a while bless them :( again I’m so sorry this has happened to you and to your girl.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow what a shock so unexpected as this does happen a lot- I wonder if she got bit by a bug- spider maybe- I really am guessing- like the other person posted maybe Tracie our vet tech could help--
@Drache613

HeathJenks

Beardie name(s)
Pi'lar (Pea-lar)
My bearded dragon was perfectly healthy yesterday, she is around 7 yrs old, she was running around & had a bowel movement it was either yesterday or the day prior. The movement seemed healthy, i guess a little bit more watery than normal but nothing crazy or concerning. I'm pretty sure it was yesterday but my bf thinks it was the day before but either way it was one of those(she has this weird thing about going to the bathroom in her tank where she basically will not do it at all costs& will start basically attacking the glass of her tank scratching &jumping up at the glass until we take her out& where we usually place her on some paper towels & she immediately goes, so anyways it was definitely one of the last two days& after she ran around for a while with plenty of energy & fine)
So...
Today suddenly I was going to put a salad in her tank when I noticed she was on her rock really lopsided to the point she was like almost sideways & it looked very odd like something was wrong & When I got closer I noticed that she wasn't moving or blinking or anything &her stomach looked like a balloon it was so enormous like it was going to explode, I freaked out& called my bf down& by the time he came down like 10 seconds later she basically fell of the rock completely onto her back no movement& looking dead, both her stomach& her beard literally look like they've been pumped up with air like a balloon.
At first I just thought something was really wrong but then my boyfriend said she was definitely dead. I think she is dead also but I want to be sure& understand what happened.
My bf thinks the bloated swelling look is probably like how when humans are dead& decompose they do that from all the gas released. Is that something that bearded dragons also do, how quickly would that occur under the heat lights, or is that not normal & likley from whatever caused her death? I can't figure out what would cause this so suddenly when she was totally fine just yesterday.
That is crazy. I'm so sorry. If that happened to my girl I would freak out also. Hugs. Please let us know if u get a cause of death. So sad.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Like the others i am saddened by your loss. I lost one in April in a very similar manner. She was fine when i went to work and dying when i got home, so i know what your going through.
Again I'm so sorry for your loss

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, how terrible! I am so sorry for your loss.:cry:
Could she have been bitten by something like a poisonous spider? Maybe a stroke
or heart attack, it is very hard to know exactly what happened.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom