I think it's a boy, but another opinion would be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, and that's how it is with my cats, dogs, and crested geckos too. The males are always more chill it seems D= My sister's bearded dragon has a major attitude where Scout is more... simple in his wants haha.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll just have to keep you guys updated on what Maes turns out to be. Because it still doesn't look as female as other females I've seen, but there aren't really obvious hemipene bumps, though there IS a divot in the tail between where the hemipenes should be, and when I candle it, there is a small line on one side I can see, so it might just be a slowly developing male. I know secondary sex traits aren't the most reliable way to sex, but Maes also has a nice broad head and a THICK tail base, so we'll see =P I'm so impatient

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks haha. We named our adult female dragon Riza Hawkeye. If only I was watching FMA when I got Scout, then he might have a fullmetal alchemist name as well!

I've wanted a little boy dragon named Hughes for several years now, but only now I've been able to care for another baby dragon!..... and it happens to rebel against my hopes and dreams of a male dragon haha. She's still a great dragon. I'm still hoping she's a he and is a slow developer. Won't know until she's a few inches bigger I think. But she eats like a pig, so it shouldn't take toooo long!

seacrab911

i have a question has anyone heard of a female trying to lock up with another female i am sure its a chick did the flash light test .

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You definitely have a girl, looks just like Cierra:
11887-6462511713.jpg

This is Gabriel, he's a 4 yr old male and you can see his "boy" bumps along the side of his tail.
11887-746654976.jpg

I can see the lump above the vent on your girl, just like Cierra, so you definitely have a girl. Congrats!

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
when trying the flashlight method, I usually take my beardie into the bathroom, or my closet where it is really dark. It makes it easier to tell, and it makes my beardie calmer. Just a suggestion.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Khalilizard, the bathroom was where I flashlighted her =)

And my problem with this one is that while I know what to look for in the male vs female dragons, this one kept playing tricks with me!

HOWEVER!!! My sister's friend has 3 beardies of her own, and just got one in November that is the same exact age as my baby. When we took my sister's friend home yesterday, I went in to look at her baby dragon and that one is DEFINITELY a boy! He's the same size and age as Maesie, who, by now, I'm positive is a GIRL! :blob8:

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I should say I know what to look for in adult dragons, having an adult male and female already. What I didn't know is how soon it would be obvious if my young dragon was a male or female. And when people send me pictures of ADULT dragons to compare to, it just isn't as convincing since my dragon is 6 months old and isn't all the way grown up. But now that I've had another 6 month old dragon to compare her to, that one being an obvious boy, I'm much more comfortable accepting she's a girl

But I do thank all of you for your help!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You're welcome. Even though Cierra is a year old, she's very small. She was 15" long and 185g when I got her from our local rescue society. She's gained weight and grown an inch since I got her in February, but I could hardly tell her age when I got her.

I'm so glad you figured it out, though, enjoy your girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom