I Think I May Need To Rehome My Dragons :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nereid

So it's with a heavy heart that I think I need to re-home my babies. I have started working a lot my hours so now I'm hardly home and today I realized I can't depend on my family members to look after them when I'm gone. Long story short because the adults in my house are lazy and didn't want to go out and get crickets while i was working doubles at work, my beardies haven't eaten all day today and I don't think they'll have food tomorrow either as I have to work again all day. I can't even depend on them to turn on the lights when I'm gone. Before this wasn't an issue as I was home a lot but with me working more now I don't see this working out.

I'm really sad about this as I love my dragons. They are the sweetest but I just can't see any other way and I really don't want them to suffer in my absence. So my question is, is there anybody on this website looking to adopt? They are still young and I would rather they go to someone who knows what they're doing. I really don't want to take them back to the pet store as they know nothing about dragons. They gave me the wrong information when I first got them so I don't trust that they'll be taken care of properly if I take them back.

Please if there's anyone that can help me. I'm not looking for money. Just want them to go to a good home. I live in Missouri.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you put their lights on timers (cheapo at the hardware store) and set them for lights on before work so you can feed them and lights off ~12hrs later would that work? If you can give feeders in the morning and put together a salad for the rest of the day that should do the trick.

Dante

Hatchling Member
Cooper is correct. buy a timer set the time about 1:30 earlier than you wake up so when you wake the beardie is nice and warm and ready to eat and prepare salads after the beardie is finished eating the feeders

Kryton

You could even prepare their salad in the evening or chop up enough to last a few days. That way you just have to empty their bowls,clean it,just dump some in and wet it. You wouldnt have to spend the extra time chopping it up in the morning.
Try doing these things that everyone suggests before giving up your beardies. :wink:

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I work 2 jobs and I'm only home 4 days a week. My mom does help when I'm not home, but she doesn't really have to.

Salad
- It takes 5 seconds to get a leaf of collard green from the fridge and shred it in a bowl in the morning. You could even do it every other day if you put the bowl on the cool side of the tank. Mine like their salad dry and crunchy anyway.

Food
- You can try different brands of pellets and see which ones work. Both of mine eat Fluker's Buffet Blend. Just leave it in a glass bowl in the tank so they can eat it whenever.
- For insects, you can breed your own dubia. I dump dried dog food in their bin when I don't see any left. Normally once a week or less. I put in 2 half oranges once a week. I clean the bin once every few months.
- They don't need to be awake when you put salad or food in their bowls so you can also do this at night. Dubias also can't climb out of a glass bowl that's 2" deep. They'll eat them when they get up.

Light
- Get a timer and make the lights come on according to your schedule. Mine comes on at noon and shut off at midnight. I normally get home between 10 - 11pm. My tanks are in the living room. It's not completely dark, but they generally stay sleeping till the lights come on.

Enclosure
- I use 18" x 36" Exo Terra glass tanks with shelf liners. I also have a glass casserole bowl where they poop in. I never taught them, but they just poop in there on their own. Kinda funny since that's where I put in the dubias. Even if they poop outside and make a mess, it only takes a few minutes to rinse the shelf liners. I just hose them off outside.

Bath
- I bath mine once every 2 weeks on a weekend or something.

I don't mean to guilt trip you, but what if the new owner is worse than you? You can make it work if you want to. :)

Nereid

Original Poster
Im keeping them :) I was just stressed out when i posted this. I have since then purchased timers for the lights and bought more feeders. I even bought a new tank for one of my dragons, the exo terra 36" x 18" x 18" was on sale at petsmart so I couldn't pass it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom