I think I bought a uv light that is too long...

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
I just set up a new 120 gallon tank for my beardie (Scooby). I bought a 34 inch t5 10.0 and I think it is probably too long??? Any opinions are appreciated. I wonder if I should have bought a 24 inch? My guy is 5.5 months old.

20230226_170424.jpg

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
I just set up a new 120 gallon tank for my beardie (Scooby). I bought a 34 inch t5 10.0 and I think it is probably too long??? Any opinions are appreciated. I wonder if I should have bought a 24 inch? My guy is 5.5 months old.

View attachment 78427
There is only bout 1/4 of the viv that doesn't have uv coverage.
Can you exchange it for a 24"?
No, too late...I bought it over a month ago in anticipation of getting the new viv. It's okay, I will buy the 24 , and will save this one in case we eventually go to a 160 gallon. Thank you so very much for answering...it didn't look right to me, so better to know early on.
Edit to add: I just looked in my beardie storage area, and the 24 inch (I already have) was the one I used for my 40 gallon...I will switch it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Last edited:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i've got the longer light and haven't had any problems. it's what came with my custom build and is pushed all the way to one end.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can use the 34 just be sure to offer a hide big enough for your beardie to get in if it wants less uvb. You can safely cover 2/3 of your habitat.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
You can use the 34 just be sure to offer a hide big enough for your beardie to get in if it wants less uvb. You can safely cover 2/3 of your habitat.
He is a very pale beardie so I feel safer with half the tank with uvb. That being said, other than chasing after dropped dubias or eating his greens on the cool side, he spends almost all of his time in the hot to middle part of his viv. I am probably stressing too much...he is happy and healthy so I probably need to stop worrying.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom