I scared my beardy, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza771

So my beardy is with me for almost a month. He started trusting me and in the last few days, he would take his whole food from my hand and even hang around with me sometimes.

I guess I made a mistake yesterday by trying too hard to make him eat salad. I would pick up pieces of salad every while and try to get him interested in it and even try to put a piece of salad in his mouth after he was munching on an insect. So today he totally freaks out when I enter my hand into his enclosure and won't take any food.

Just want to get back where I was with him and take the slow approach. I definitely learned my lesson, but what do I do?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
There are some problems when beardies start trusting you and then you did something that scares them and they lose your trust. You need to bond with him more by approaching him and just kinda "play" by like hanging out with him and pet his head to let him know that it is okay. When you try to pet him, DO NOT at ANY CIRCUMSTANCES approach him by the top of his head due to them having a third eye on the top of their head and approaching there will make him nervous or even frightened and he will run away thinking your a predator trying to attack. Just start on the back and see how he reacts. And then if he reacts chill and not running away, then you can SLOWLY approach him by the head and gently pet him. You can also take him out for like 10 mins or until he can't handle it.

Tell me if this helps a little:)

Reza771

Original Poster
There are some problems when beardies start trusting you and then you did something that scares them and they lose your trust. You need to bond with him more by approaching him and just kinda "play" by like hanging out with him and pet his head to let him know that it is okay. When you try to pet him, DO NOT at ANY CIRCUMSTANCES approach him by the top of his head due to them having a third eye on the top of their head and approaching there will make him nervous or even frightened and he will run away thinking your a predator trying to attack. Just start on the back and see how he reacts. And then if he reacts chill and not running away, then you can SLOWLY approach him by the head and gently pet him. You can also take him out for like 10 mins or until he can't handle it.

Tell me if this helps a little:)
Thanks for the repy!

I know about the third eye and was cautious about this :). I think I was on a very good way to gain his trust, slowly taking one step after another. Until I messed up yesterday ofc :(.

But now I will take some steps back again and start as I did in the beginning and hope that he doesn't hold a grudge against me.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Thanks for the repy!

I know about the third eye and was cautious about this :). I think I was on a very good way to gain his trust, slowly taking one step after another. Until I messed up yesterday ofc :(.

But now I will take some steps back again and start as I did in the beginning and hope that he doesn't hold a grudge against me.
Animals are a lot better about living in the moment and not holding grudges than humans are. Doesn't hurt that their brain is a lot smaller so the memory is much more limited!

Beardie name(s)
Hazel
A 3rd eye is for when they are in there natural habitat and a bird flies above them or other preditor that tries and approach them. I am so sorry that he is starting to act like this

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
That is not true. they actually use that eye to detect light, measure temperature and checks shade differences. That's how they detect seasons changing from summer to fall, fall to winter, winter to spring, and spring back to summer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom