I purchased two 1602n Thermal Air Hova-Bators a few months a

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for one I don't understand how to set it up at ALL
15wfabp.jpg

t4v2j7.jpg

977ekk.jpg

2ildesj.jpg

It even came w/ papers on how to set it up and I don't really understand I don't know what the pieces are called so I don't know what is what and it's just all so confusing :p.

Also it says something about warm water on the bottom, please tell me exactly how to use this Hova-Bator so that when my bearded dragon has eggs I can easily take care of them, -thanks so much =)!!

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
lol. yeah, it is kinda tricky. I'll explain the best way I can for now:

1.) Place the plastic tray on the bottom of the incubator. The tray has different compartments for water, each of which provide different surface areas for water evaporation. You can regulate the humidity by selectively filling various compartments.
2.) Attach the metal clips to the corners of the wire mesh screen, then place the metal screen on top of the plastic water tray. The mesh should rest on the little ledge that runs all around the sides of the bottom half of the incubator. This keeps stuff from falling in the water.
3.) Start screwing in the L-shaped bolt into the hole on top of the incubator. This hole is positioned on the outside of the lid, and directly underneath that section in the inside of the lid is a metal shelf-like thing. Once the L-shaped bolt has been screwed through the top of the lid, attach the round copper-looking disc thing onto the end of the L-shaped bolt.
4.) Pour a little water into the bottom of the plastic tray.
5.) Put the thermometer on top of a container that's around the size you're planning on using for your eggs, and position it so you can see it through the clear spots in the lid.
6.) Plug the power cord into the wall.
7.) As soon as you plug it in, a red light should turn on, indicating that the incubator is warming up. The metal rods that run around the inside of the lid provide the heat, which can be regulated by rotating the L-shaped bolt (I think that either the elevation or position of the copper disc has something to do with regulating the heat emission).
8.) Let your incubator sit overnight.
9.) Over the next 24-48 hours, regulate the temperature inside by rotating the L-shaped bolt. The black arrows on the yellow section on the top of the lid indicate whether clockwise or counter-clockwise is warmer or colder. A 180-degree turn approximately equals one degree in temperature change. Allow several hours for the temperature in the incubator to adjust.

It took me 72 hours to get the temperature in the incubator at exactly 85 degrees F, so take your time, and remember that adjustments in the L-shaped bolt will take a couple of hours to register a change in temperature.

Good luck, and congradulations for starting early.

3beardies1cup

Original Poster
carmallarm":faea7 said:
lol. yeah, it is kinda tricky. I'll explain the best way I can for now:

1.) Place the plastic tray on the bottom of the incubator. The tray has different compartments for water, each of which provide different surface areas for water evaporation. You can regulate the humidity by selectively filling various compartments.
2.) Attach the metal clips to the corners of the wire mesh screen, then place the metal screen on top of the plastic water tray. The mesh should rest on the little ledge that runs all around the sides of the bottom half of the incubator. This keeps stuff from falling in the water.
3.) Start screwing in the L-shaped bolt into the hole on top of the incubator. This hole is positioned on the outside of the lid, and directly underneath that section in the inside of the lid is a metal shelf-like thing. Once the L-shaped bolt has been screwed through the top of the lid, attach the round copper-looking disc thing onto the end of the L-shaped bolt.
4.) Pour a little water into the bottom of the plastic tray.
5.) Put the thermometer on top of a container that's around the size you're planning on using for your eggs, and position it so you can see it through the clear spots in the lid.
6.) Plug the power cord into the wall.
7.) As soon as you plug it in, a red light should turn on, indicating that the incubator is warming up. The metal rods that run around the inside of the lid provide the heat, which can be regulated by rotating the L-shaped bolt (I think that either the elevation or position of the copper disc has something to do with regulating the heat emission).
8.) Let your incubator sit overnight.
9.) Over the next 24-48 hours, regulate the temperature inside by rotating the L-shaped bolt. The black arrows on the yellow section on the top of the lid indicate whether clockwise or counter-clockwise is warmer or colder. A 180-degree turn approximately equals one degree in temperature change. Allow several hours for the temperature in the incubator to adjust.

It took me 72 hours to get the temperature in the incubator at exactly 85 degrees F, so take your time, and remember that adjustments in the L-shaped bolt will take a couple of hours to register a change in temperature.

Good luck, and congradulations for starting early.

You sure the clips dont attach to the plastic in which u put water in, i was looking at it and tried it and it looks right and makes the wire mesh not all bent upwards

ALSO how much water do I put in && in which compartment? Also you can turn it right and left to increase and decrease yet it doesn't give an amount what do i want the temperature to be?

edit: How do I measure the humidity o.o? Or can you tell me a certain amount of water to put in that would be fine for sure, do I have to refill it? Won't the temp. get messed up? Explain please :D

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
I followed the directions when I set up my Hova-Bator, and filled the A-section of the plastic dish. However, a week later, I lost 12 of Sunny's original 16 eggs to mildew, so even the smallest plastic section of the tray seemed to provide too much moisture. I've heard of other people including a dish of water, and that seems to make more sense because you can change it more often and can control the amount of humidity by using different-sized containers.

As for measuring the humidity, you'll need to purchase a hygrometer. Most pet stores carry them in the reptile section. The instructions for the Hova-Bator are written primarily for incubating chicken eggs, however, and this is my first time using a Hova-Bator, so I'm still in the learning process.

As for the plastic clips, mine came attached to the metal screen, so that's just where I left them. I am unable to advise you at this time on whether it's better to attach them to the plastic tray or metal screen.

You can probably buy a larger, more expensive incubator that is set up digitally, where all you have to do is input the temperature that you want, and it stays that way, but these are cheaper for a reason. They do the job right, but you have to fiddle with them a bit to get the temperatures where you want (another reason to set the incubator up before the eggs are laid). Think of the dial as an oven knob with no temperature readings. You just have to find the right setting, and then leave it there.

Hope this helped.

3beardies1cup

Original Poster
What causes them to get mildew on them? Maybe i should just put a little water in the plastic thing?
What should the temp of the water be i put in?

carmallarm":03293 said:
I followed the directions when I set up my Hova-Bator, and filled the A-section of the plastic dish. However, a week later, I lost 12 of Sunny's original 16 eggs to mildew, so even the smallest plastic section of the tray seemed to provide too much moisture. I've heard of other people including a dish of water, and that seems to make more sense because you can change it more often and can control the amount of humidity by using different-sized containers.

As for measuring the humidity, you'll need to purchase a hygrometer. Most pet stores carry them in the reptile section. The instructions for the Hova-Bator are written primarily for incubating chicken eggs, however, and this is my first time using a Hova-Bator, so I'm still in the learning process.

As for the plastic clips, mine came attached to the metal screen, so that's just where I left them. I am unable to advise you at this time on whether it's better to attach them to the plastic tray or metal screen.

You can probably buy a larger, more expensive incubator that is set up digitally, where all you have to do is input the temperature that you want, and it stays that way, but these are cheaper for a reason. They do the job right, but you have to fiddle with them a bit to get the temperatures where you want (another reason to set the incubator up before the eggs are laid). Think of the dial as an oven knob with no temperature readings. You just have to find the right setting, and then leave it there.

Hope this helped.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Mildew is caused by too much humidity, but the eggs can dry out if there's not enough moisture in the eggs. Getting the humidity right seems to be the trickiest thing about hatching eggs.

I don't think the temperature of the water matters that much, especially since everything in the incubator will become the same temperature eventually. I would recommend either cold or room-temperature water, since hot water might throw off your thermometer.

3beardies1cup

Original Poster
My last questions:

1.Fluckers Temp Thing that costs $20 is this fine for measuring the humidity&temp in the incubator?
If no, what do I need to buy? (temp&humidity)

2.How much water do I put in&&in which compartment? Someone said they filled it and all eggs but 2 made it.

3.I have it in the kitchen my room is above 83 degrees which it needs to be (right?) is this fine?

4.The incubator has 4 open holes i'm assuming for one of there products to put on if you purchase it, do I need to cover these up or is air fine to enter? (it still stays at a solid temp)

5. When I check the moistness for the babies in the vermiculite the temp. will be wrong then, so how do i go abouts this?

6. Thanks for dealing w/ me =)

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
I have a lab report due tomorrow that I have to work on now, so I am unable to answer any more questions at this time. I would definitely recommend reading the instruction packet that came with the incubator. It might seem a little daunting at first, but I think you'll find that if you take a couple of minutes and read the whole thing, that the majority of your questions regarding the set-up and functionality of the incubator will be answered.

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
The directions suck!

If you want you can call me and i will help you, I have delt with my share :)

You do need to set it up a week before you use it to get it dialed in!

Heidi :)

(951) 244-7218

3beardies1cup

Original Poster
The eggs will be from your female i purchased from you =)

CalienteDragons":16458 said:
The directions suck!

If you want you can call me and i will help you, I have delt with my share :)

You do need to set it up a week before you use it to get it dialed in!

Heidi :)

(951) 244-7218

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom