I Need Urgent Help

SavannaJC

I just bought a baby beardie from PetSmart (ik, ik I shouldn't do that, but it was living in awful conditions), and it had eye issues from day one. It always had its eyes shut and scratched them on surfaces. For around a week, it has refused to eat. I've tried crickets, small mealworms, and a variety of greens. So, I've been giving it carnivore critical care. It's lost two pounds. Yes, the lighting is brand new and works great, however, its enclosure is only a 10-gallon atm, but we will be upgrading shortly. I've had baby beardies many times and know they eat all the time. I'm worried about its health and can no longer return it. What should I do?

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
I just bought a baby beardie from PetSmart (ik, ik I shouldn't do that, but it was living in awful conditions), and it had eye issues from day one. It always had its eyes shut and scratched them on surfaces. For around a week, it has refused to eat. I've tried crickets, small mealworms, and a variety of greens. So, I've been giving it carnivore critical care. It's lost two pounds. Yes, the lighting is brand new and works great, however, its enclosure is only a 10-gallon atm, but we will be upgrading shortly. I've had baby beardies many times and know they eat all the time. I'm worried about its health and can no longer return it. What should I do?
Hey! I wish I could be of help but I got my beardie (also from PetSmart lol, but in my location they have the beardies in pretty good living conditions! But PetCo on the other hand...) only 5 months ago so I don't know much. Have you tried maybe giving them a bath and gently rubbing his eye with a soft washcloth just a bit wet with water? That's why I would personally do. As for food, maybe try some dubia roaches? Beardies tend to like those a lot. Continue with the critical care. Has he been having bowel movements?
Also! I applaud you for buying this beardie! I know you said "I shouldn't do that" but saving it from those awful conditions is what you SHOULD do!

SavannaJC

Original Poster
Hey! I wish I could be of help but I got my beardie (also from PetSmart lol, but in my location they have the beardies in pretty good living conditions! But PetCo on the other hand...) only 5 months ago so I don't know much. Have you tried maybe giving them a bath and gently rubbing his eye with a soft washcloth just a bit wet with water? That's why I would personally do. As for food, maybe try some dubia roaches? Beardies tend to like those a lot. Continue with the critical care. Has he been having bowel movements?
Also! I applaud you for buying this beardie! I know you said "I shouldn't do that" but saving it from those awful conditions is what you SHOULD do!
I rubbed the eye with a Q-tip gently. I'm in the middle of building a dubia colony, so I will try to feed it some of those. Ty, btw
I should have mentioned this before, but it was living with two other beardies, and one of them was sick. I felt bad, but I knew it wasn't going to make it, unfortunately

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB and surface basking temps are crucial here --- what kind of UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture and I recommend you get him out of the 10 gallon and go to a 40 -- small tanks are too hard to keep good temps in -- hes going thru relocation stress that could be one factor but the other things I mentioned are critical -- also the other dragon that was sick this one may have caught what he had

SavannaJC

Original Poster
UVB and surface basking temps are crucial here --- what kind of UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture and I recommend you get him out of the 10 gallon and go to a 40 -- small tanks are too hard to keep good temps in -- hes going thru relocation stress that could be one factor but the other things I mentioned are critical -- also the other dragon that was sick this one may have caught what he had
I just moved it into a 40-gallon. It is shedding and pooping a small amount

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just moved it into a 40-gallon. It is shedding and pooping a small amount
Ok so let's go over your husbandry uvb coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps how are you taking them ? Stick ons are inaccurate you want a digital probe thermometer- babies temps 105-110

SavannaJC

Original Poster
Ok so let's go over your husbandry uvb coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps how are you taking them ? Stick ons are inaccurate you want a digital probe thermometer- babies temps 105-110
I am using a strip bulb for UV and a 75-watt heat bulb. The basking temp is 103, the cool side is 80, and the humidity is 25%. I measure using a temp gun and digital thermometer and hygrometer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using a strip bulb for UV and a 75-watt heat bulb. The basking temp is 103, the cool side is 80, and the humidity is 25%. I measure using a temp gun and digital thermometer and hygrometer
Ok the strip bulb is what brand and is it a T 8 or T 5? Where do you have it placed

SavannaJC

Original Poster
Ok the strip bulb is what brand and is it a T 8 or T 5? Where do you have it pla

Ok the strip bulb is what brand and is it a T 8 or T 5? Where do you have it placed
The strip bulb is a Zilla T8 and is on top of the screen lid about seven inches from the basking spot. Today, I have fed the baby critical care and it has gained one gram from me doing so. I'm very confused, as it's very active, but it refuses to eat. I've checked for mites and it's feces do not give any indication of parasites.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The strip bulb is a Zilla T8 and is on top of the screen lid about seven inches from the basking spot. Today, I have fed the baby critical care and it has gained one gram from me doing so. I'm very confused, as it's very active, but it refuses to eat. I've checked for mites and it's feces do not give any indication of parasites.
Please get the T 8 unobstructed No screen and take the clear plastic cover off the fixture leave it off-- he will not eat w/ out your surface baking temps and uvb is on par- please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches and please get a reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb they are a way better bulb-- please do this right away - he should start eating something his eating will be off till he adjust to his tank and surroundings then his appetite will pick up more

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon's eye? Shedding oftentimes causes eye irritation. Since you had mentioned
he was in a tank with a couple of other dragons, it is possibly an injury but not sure. You can keep
it clean by washing it out with a sterile saline solution daily. You can even thin some raw unpasteurized
or manuka honey out with some warm water & just drip a few drops into the eye for infection help.

Tracie

SavannaJC

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your dragon's eye? Shedding oftentimes causes eye irritation. Since you had mentioned
he was in a tank with a couple of other dragons, it is possibly an injury but not sure. You can keep
it clean by washing it out with a sterile saline solution daily. You can even thin some raw unpasteurized
or manuka honey out with some warm water & just drip a few drops into the eye for infection help.

Tracie
The eye did shed, but I don't think the baby will make it. Despite my attempts to give it critical care, it continues to lose weight and looks weak. I have experienced quite a few reptile deaths in my time, so this just breaks my heart. I know it doesn't have a ri or parasites, so I don't know what's wrong with it. It will no longer allow me to give it critical care as it refuses to open its mouth or lick the formula. I'm at a loss

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The eye did shed, but I don't think the baby will make it. Despite my attempts to give it critical care, it continues to lose weight and looks weak. I have experienced quite a few reptile deaths in my time, so this just breaks my heart. I know it doesn't have a ri or parasites, so I don't know what's wrong with it. It will no longer allow me to give it critical care as it refuses to open its mouth or lick the formula. I'm at a loss
I am sorry to hear this --- this is typical of the chain stores -- do not beat yourself up you are doing only the best for the baby --- sometimes they are strong enough to bounce back sometimes not-- it was probably already getting sick when you rescued it -- you could force feed by prying the mouth open -- your tank is good for the UVB and the surface basking temps correct?

SavannaJC

Original Poster
I am sorry to hear this --- this is typical of the chain stores -- do not beat yourself up you are doing only the best for the baby --- sometimes they are strong enough to bounce back sometimes not-- it was probably already getting sick when you rescued it -- you could force feed by prying the mouth open -- your tank is good for the UVB and the surface basking temps correct?
Yes, the basking temps are a little high for its immune system and the UV lighting is working great (I tested it). As I said before, one of the other babies it was living with was sick, so you're probably right. Thank you for everything

SavannaJC

Original Poster
I have leftover ceftazidime shots in my freezer, and my friend is persisting I give a small dosage to the baby (it weighs 16 grams, mind you). I heavily believe it's a bad idea, but they're angry with me for not doing so. They think that since the baby is passing anyway, the injection won't do any harm. What should I do?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom