loriloo23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Figment
Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and still pretty new to owning a dragon. I need some help. I’ve done lots of research and tried different products and tried different ways of setting up the tank and I’m just at a loss here. I did just fill out the account info on the products/setup I’m currently using. I feel like my dragon doesn’t bask enough and doesn’t eat enough and doesn’t drink enough. I thought my dragon was male but now I’m seriously thinking he is a SHE. I have to physically put her on the basking spot or she won’t bask. And even when I put her on the spot she only basks for a little while and then goes back into hiding again. She is always hiding. I have to physically put her on her food dish or she won’t eat. Same with drinking. She goes crazy for live Dubia roaches and freeze dried mealworms, but is mostly uninterested in ANY other food I put out. Only small nibbles here and there (when I physically put her on her dish). Greens, veggies, fruits, dry pellets, moist pellets. I’ve tried tons of different things pretty much to no avail. She passes bowel movements (when she eats enough to) just fine. Stools look normal. She looks healthy (I think). She’s growing. When she walks/moves around she’s not stiff or limping or any other visibly questionable movements. I use calcium powder every time on her live Dubia roaches. She eats 15-20 live dubia roaches in one sitting about 2 times a week. Hottest basking surface temp is about 113. Then it’s a gradient down to the cool side that is 80 at its lowest. At night the tank can get to 60-65 due to a portable air condition unit and a fan I have in my bedroom. I have 2 lamps on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. One lamp is a PowerSun Mercury vapor bulb 160watt and the other is a zoo med repti basking bulb 150 watt. I’ve also moved physical locations of the tank around a bit because of my other pets being near her and thinking maybe they stress her out? (I have an aquatic turtle/fish tank, and 2 parakeets and 2 axolotls in a different tank - i MIGHT be a little obsessed with animals! Haha!) I will attach pictures. The plants in her tank are all fake silky plants. I just don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if I’m expecting too much activity from her or what. It’s honestly like if I didn’t pick her up and move her about to food/water and basking she would just stay hidden and laying, in and out of sleep, in this one spot. The lady I got her from was pretty clueless as to her age. She told me she was 6 months old but she was CLEARLY mistaken because my dragon was way too tiny to be that old. Like maybe 5-6 inches nose to tail. So I’m guessing, by her growth rate and measurements she’s currently probably about 9 months? Or just under a year? She’s about 15 inches long currently. I’m so worried about her and just don’t know what to do and really want to do this right. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AFF35182-DF14-4B0C-B6E7-7080881616B5.jpeg
    AFF35182-DF14-4B0C-B6E7-7080881616B5.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 453905A6-12F1-49D8-BC10-3593019591DA.jpg
    453905A6-12F1-49D8-BC10-3593019591DA.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 6D5150C5-EC11-4693-9AB9-EB9D12B8CE61.jpeg
    6D5150C5-EC11-4693-9AB9-EB9D12B8CE61.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 7E9D095D-2B1D-4567-AD40-22C140810BCF.jpeg
    7E9D095D-2B1D-4567-AD40-22C140810BCF.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1E4FEEC4-19C7-48DA-92DD-CE034EEA48CD.jpeg
    1E4FEEC4-19C7-48DA-92DD-CE034EEA48CD.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 7C061D9A-B428-4445-B0CE-F0FE2CA57E42.jpeg
    7C061D9A-B428-4445-B0CE-F0FE2CA57E42.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 88
  • C96151E2-FA4C-4EAB-A3D0-1AEAA39EB564.jpeg
    C96151E2-FA4C-4EAB-A3D0-1AEAA39EB564.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Stinky / runny poop can be caused by parasites which can come from crickets-- they are known for that - you want good surface basking temps and good UVB to help him ward off the parasites or keep them in check - all dragons have them its when they get out of control and then meds need to be giving to kill them -- I would go w/ the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb if you can get it and for your tank it would be a good one- you will need to have it in the tank if the screen is a fine mesh screen --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They can get parasites from food, crickets are usyally the culprit i ithink.
Does that viv. have a place for a long tube uvb? The compact/coil uvb are not good and will cause your beardie health issues.

loriloo23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Figment
I got rid of all my ZooMed lights and switched to the Arcadia 12% t5. They are very good lights. Since the first of the year 4 out of 4 brand new ZooMeds failed. I'll link a post i made with a video. You don't want the uvb to be the full length of you habitat, they need to be able to get out of it if the wanr to. 2/3 tops on ratio. Some liquid in the poop is ok as long as it is still formed, if they are well hydrated that can happen. Super stinky though could be parasites, having a fecal test done by a vet would be a good idea. Collect it yourself and get it to a vet within a 24 hour period. WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET THE VET GIVE AN ENEMA!!! It can end in tragedy.
This is the link to a thread i posted with a video of one of the ZooMed fixtures that failed.
ZooMed light fixture issues revisited | Enclosures | Bearded Dragon .org
So with his pooping not being very scheduled, do most vets let you drop off a fecal sample without an appointment? Does it need to be kept refrigerated until I can get it delivered?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
our vet wants samples that are within 24 hours and NOT refrigerated. i usually keep it in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel so it doesn't dry out.

as far as dropping off without an appointment, i'm not sure. i bet it varies from vet to vet. our vet is almost 2 hours away, so we always have an appointment if we go in.

loriloo23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Figment
The Arcadia are good fixtures w/ the 12% bulb - wide hole screen the 12% can sit on top 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor -- No 14% bulb unless your tank is 24" tall --- -- if the poop smell is bad enough for you to leave the room it is probable parasites -- please take a fecal into the vet have them test it go from there --- as stated before you do not want a UVB covering the whole tank - they need to be able to sit in the tank w/ out having to hide from the UVB -- 1/2 is good -- please get your cool side up to 80's during the day --- the temps now are for night time --- 65-75 nite temps --
So my tank IS actually 24 inches tall. I have his basking area built up though so that he can climb up to what would easily be like a 12 inch distance from an Arcadia light sitting on top of the screen. So would I want the 14% then?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It depends on the screen, if it is small hole like a door screen then the 14% should be ok, if its a large hole the 12% should be ok.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my tank IS actually 24 inches tall. I have his basking area built up though so that he can climb up to what would easily be like a 12 inch distance from an Arcadia light sitting on top of the screen. So would I want the 14% then?
I would go w/ the 12% bulb --- you can call the vet tell them you have a fecal you would like to drop off for testing for parasites --- is your vet a reptile vet? Here is a website in case you need it www.arav.org
if your in a small area type in the biggest city close to you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Loriloo, I tried to read everything here but to answer your very first post, all of Figment's behaviors are perfectly normal for a sub -adult or adult that you've only had for a short time. It IS time that many dragons will start to brumate , others will simply slow down, hide off + on. Figment looks very healthy and even if there's extra water with a solidly formed poo , that's fine.. I don't think you need a fecal test right away, the behavior is normal so let Figment settle in. The Reptisun 10..0 t8 mounted inside is fine for now, you can upgrade to the Arcadia if you like but Figment will et a decent uvb output from what you have. A 160 watt Powersun probably is too hot though, try to mount it a few inches above the tank. Fig's gender is iffy......try the flashlight method to be sure.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Wow thats a great image for sexing dragons, I'm going save it for future use if thats ok.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom