I need heating help

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I'm having troubles heating my 4x2x2 enclosure. I have a reptisun t8 10. uvb on top of the screen and a 100 watt reptisun basking bulb. I had 2 but one broke. My temps are maybe raising like 2 degrees on the cool side and like 5 on the warm so its not even getting above 80. I should be getting more wood things today which I am hoping will raise the temp. I haven't measured the basking area because I'm not sure where it's gonna be yet. The doors to the enclosure are off right now which may be letting more heat escape. I'm using a paper towel substrate and the dubia.com 4x2x2 bearded dragon enclosure. I've never owned a bearded dragon and the only time I've owned a reptile was when a lizard came out when the weather was too cold so I kept it til I started to see its kind come out. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm having troubles heating my 4x2x2 enclosure. I have a reptisun t8 10. uvb on top of the screen and a 100 watt reptisun basking bulb. I had 2 but one broke. My temps are maybe raising like 2 degrees on the cool side and like 5 on the warm so its not even getting above 80. I should be getting more wood things today which I am hoping will raise the temp. I haven't measured the basking area because I'm not sure where it's gonna be yet. The doors to the enclosure are off right now which may be letting more heat escape. I'm using a paper towel substrate and the dubia.com 4x2x2 bearded dragon enclosure. I've never owned a bearded dragon and the only time I've owned a reptile was when a lizard came out when the weather was too cold so I kept it til I started to see its kind come out. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.
Please put the doors back on the tank --- next how are you getting the surface basking temps? You want two digital probe thermometers - place on the basking spot where the dragon basks -- temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a 6 month old and up ---- please invest in a T 5 UVB - I will post links -- T 8's are good but only for smaller tanks like 30 gallon and smaller -- and T8's need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- T 5's inside the tank as well since its 24" high and distance of 12-15 inches ---
if you have a Pet Smart try the store or you can order it on line
you want a 24" fixture 24 watt 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one you will need to get the bulb I posted for the Zoo Med
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you want two of these they are a must to get accurate surface basking temps - one for the hot side of the tank and one for the cool side of the tank please Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
you also want a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer they are more accurate than analogs it needs to be placed on the back center wall of the tank -- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - let me know if you need any more help ---

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Please put the doors back on the tank --- next how are you getting the surface basking temps? You want two digital probe thermometers - place on the basking spot where the dragon basks -- temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a 6 month old and up ---- please invest in a T 5 UVB - I will post links -- T 8's are good but only for smaller tanks like 30 gallon and smaller -- and T8's need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- T 5's inside the tank as well since its 24" high and distance of 12-15 inches ---
if you have a Pet Smart try the store or you can order it on line
you want a 24" fixture 24 watt 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one you will need to get the bulb I posted for the Zoo Med
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you want two of these they are a must to get accurate surface basking temps - one for the hot side of the tank and one for the cool side of the tank please Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
you also want a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer they are more accurate than analogs it needs to be placed on the back center wall of the tank -- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - let me know if you need any more help ---
If I put my T8 in the tank with the right distance from the basking spot will it work just as well as a T5? I'm measuring my basking temp right now I'll let you know what it is when its been on for a bit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If I put my T8 in the tank with the right distance from the basking spot will it work just as well as a T5? I'm measuring my basking temp right now I'll let you know what it is when its been on for a bit.
yes but you want to upgrade as soon as you can -- how long is the T8? the bulb needs to be changed out in approx 6 months from when you first installed it - I recommend 5 --

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
yes but you want to upgrade as soon as you can -- how long is the T8? the bulb needs to be changed out in approx 6 months from when you first installed it - I recommend 5 --
The T8 is 36 inches. What do you recommend for mounting the uvb inside the tank? also I'm using a www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge on each side. I won't be able to give you the basking temp until the wood comes in because my hammock needs extra support

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T8 is 36 inches. What do you recommend for mounting the uvb inside the tank? also I'm using a www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge on each side. I won't be able to give you the basking temp until the wood comes in because my hammock needs extra support
ok take the probe for the humidity and place it on the back center wall of the tank please --- you can use these things to hang inside the tank fishing line picture hanging wire -- 3 M Velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties --- does the screen on the tank have vertical bars going across on the inside ? basking temps are extremely important for your dragon --- this is what starts digestion

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
ok take the probe for the humidity and place it on the back center wall of the tank please --- you can use these things to hang inside the tank fishing line picture hanging wire -- 3 M Velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties --- does the screen on the tank have vertical bars going across on the inside ? basking temps are extremely important for your dragon --- this is what starts digestion
it came with bars however I didn't put them in because I couldn't get everything to line up. Also just to make it clear I do not have the dragon yet and will not be getting it until my tank is doing everything right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
it came with bars however I didn't put them in because I couldn't get everything to line up. Also just to make it clear I do not have the dragon yet and will not be getting it until my tank is doing everything right.
Ok thats a good idea --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so hes eating will be off but its going to be very helpful that you have everything on par w/ the temps and your UVB -- you can use those bars to hang the UVB -- I have bars attached to my screen I will post a pic so you can see it

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 63

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Ok thats a good idea --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so hes eating will be off but its going to be very helpful that you have everything on par w/ the temps and your UVB -- you can use those bars to hang the UVB -- I have bars attached to my screen I will post a pic so you can
Ok I will try and get those bars attached and if not I will figure something else out. Have your dragons ever tried to bite the wires/probes? I'll be getting a baby and im scared that it will pull them down. I'm having to use tape because some of the suction cups are bent and im worried that it will pull them down and get caught in the tape.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I will try and get those bars attached and if not I will figure something else out. Have your dragons ever tried to bite the wires/probes? I'll be getting a baby and im scared that it will pull them down. I'm having to use tape because some of the suction cups are bent and im worried that it will pull them down and get caught in the tape.
No they dont bite the wires -- get some two sided tape - its a long strip like tape but it has a sticky back w/ a velcro type front that you attach or stick to the thermometer or what ever your trying to hang - something like this Gorilla 1 in. x 1.67 yds. Tough and Clear Mounting Tape 6065003 - The Home Depot I dont leave my probes on the spot for basking but hang on the thermometer in the tank on the side of the tank --

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
thank you very much for all your help when all my stuff comes in I will let you know how it's going

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Ok let me know if you need more help
i am struggling to put the hammock up because its getting very close to the uvb and overall causing problems. how far away from the heat lamp would you recommend the basking spot be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i am struggling to put the hammock up because its getting very close to the uvb and overall causing problems. how far away from the heat lamp would you recommend the basking spot be?
It needs to be at least 6 inches above him

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom