i need chicken help

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
i just got a baby chick from my grandma. its 5 days old. the problem is that it has no eyes. my granny heard a commotion and saw the other chicks pecking at its eyes. this happened like 2 days ago. my granny thinks that it never had eyes at all. its pretty scarred over. its barely eaten and drank. i got it to drink some sugar water and a little bit of food mush. it was more water than food but it was something. i got it set up in a tank with some food and water and im messing around with a heat lamp trying to find the best place so that the temp is good. do you guys have any advice on how to care for it? or any sort of chicken or vet site/forum i can visit? im using some chick food that my granny gave me and just adding a sprinkle of sugar into some water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i just got a baby chick from my grandma. its 5 days old. the problem is that it has no eyes. my granny heard a commotion and saw the other chicks pecking at its eyes. this happened like 2 days ago. my granny thinks that it never had eyes at all. its pretty scarred over. its barely eaten and drank. i got it to drink some sugar water and a little bit of food mush. it was more water than food but it was something. i got it set up in a tank with some food and water and im messing around with a heat lamp trying to find the best place so that the temp is good. do you guys have any advice on how to care for it? or any sort of chicken or vet site/forum i can visit? im using some chick food that my granny gave me and just adding a sprinkle of sugar into some water.
I would feed the chicken food mixed w/ water and make it mushy -by syringe-- feed slowly as if your feeding a baby dragon-- try looking up heat temps on google--for baby chicks start there-- then I would call a veterinarian that deals w/ farm animals - and ask them how to care for it

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I would feed the chicken food mixed w/ water and make it mushy -by syringe-- feed slowly as if your feeding a baby dragon-- try looking up heat temps on google--for baby chicks start there-- then I would call a veterinarian that deals w/ farm animals - and ask them how to care for it
Thank you I didn't even think about calling a vets office! I will have to wait until Tuesday due to memorial day so I hope the little guy pulls through until then

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you I didn't even think about calling a vets office! I will have to wait until Tuesday due to memorial day so I hope the little guy pulls through until then
Me too just see if you can get some info on chicks for temps--

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I raise a few chickens and have had gotten a lot of good information from backyardchickens.com

I've never dealt with a chicken without eyes, so I'm not sure what the best way to deal with that is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I raise a few chickens and have had gotten a lot of good information from backyardchickens.com

I've never dealt with a chicken without eyes, so I'm not sure what the best way to deal with that is.
It's gonna haft to be hand fed for now and I am not sure about the care from here on out- it's best to consult a vet and maybe a farmer can take it

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
It's gonna haft to be hand fed for now and I am not sure about the care from here on out- it's best to consult a vet and maybe a farmer can take it
My granny has a pen for sick chickens which is where it will live if it survives. I'm keeping it until it gets big enough to eat and drink on its own. From what I read blind chickens can live good lives with a little extra care. Also me and my friend decided on the name blink lol

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Update
He pulled through the night! He also pooped today which I'm very happy about. It was more liquid than anything but it was something. I'm gonna be getting some saline to flush the eye and assess the damage a little better

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update
He pulled through the night! He also pooped today which I'm very happy about. It was more liquid than anything but it was something. I'm gonna be getting some saline to flush the eye and assess the damage a little better
Ok good did you get the temps good in the cage for him? Keep us posted on him please

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Ok good did you get the temps good in the cage for him? Keep us posted on him please
I'm still working on finding the best spot but I'm getting close. I think the spot it's in right now will work I just need to wait a bit to make sure it doesn't go up to high

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom