I know this is for beardies but does anyone have fat tail gecko experience?

Austinnnnn23

Beardie name(s)
Leatherback Beardie: Rico 5 y/o Tangerine AFT: Toothless 1 y/o
Hello everyone i just recently got a fat tail gecko on November 13th so it’s now been a little over 2 weeks and he still won’t eat i would say it’s probably about 6 months range for age but i’m just starting to get concerned that his tail isn’t going to be able to supply him for ever so if anyone has any helpful advice please share thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of it and your current set up ? I've had a fat tail in the past and have a leo now. Where did you get your geck and what do you feed him ? Do you have food in a bowl or drop the bugs in front of him ?

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Can you post pics of it and your current set up ? I've had a fat tail in the past and have a leo now. Where did you get your geck and what do you feed him ? Do you have food in a bowl or drop the bugs in front of him ?
I got mine from a local pet store that isn’t a big chain store they actually take really great care of all of their animals, i’ve tried feeding mealworms and dubias and i’ve just left them in the bowl and he just doesn’t touch it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 74

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
the tank is a 40 gallon long 3 hides inside the tank one is humid and the other to are cool, i always have food in the dish and i spray down the tank every morning when i wake up and night before i go to bed and i have a humidity reader and outside the humid hut it says that humidity is around 50% and ground temp is 83 so everything is like perfect so i’m just confused

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Post a few pics of her to show size, BTW what's her name ? You can add some children's play sand to the coco fiber, it's more naturalistic. Maybe get the warmest side closer to 90. Then just give it time for her to settle in.

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
When I got it the employee said that he thinks its a boy just cause at this size its hard to actually know but I named it Toothless from how to train your dragon. I have a heat mat that is right at 90 and i have an overhead heat lamp and thats mainly what the thermometer is picking up. I would add sand but I cant find any round sand around me to add and I also dont really want to disturb the tank all that much. And I forgot to mention but in the coco fiber I added in sphagnum moss to help keep up that humidity and left a small chunk in the humid hide. He’s also at just about 5.5 inches so that’s why I'm thinking age is around 6 months. But I try and tong feed dubias every night because they can crawl out of the dish but I leave small mealworms in the dish all the time. Last night when I got home around 9:45 pm he was out and about walking around the tank so I dont really think it has anything to do with burmation because he would never be out and about. Hope Im giving enough information to get some answers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 74

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, you don't want it to be too humid though but the humid hide is necessary. Have you checked Walmart, Home Depot + Lowe's for play sand ? If not some plain topsoil with nothing added is another option.
So anyway, Toothless is really cute ! He's probably adjusting to everything being new and he may have been eating crickets at the store. He might not really see his food in the bowl right now. Try putting a sheet of white paper or a paper plate and with him sitting on it drop a dubia in front of him. If he sees it moving he may go for it.

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
O.K, you don't want it to be too humid though but the humid hide is necessary. Have you checked Walmart, Home Depot + Lowe's for play sand ? If not some plain topsoil with nothing added is another option.
So anyway, Toothless is really cute ! He's probably adjusting to everything being new and he may have been eating crickets at the store. He might not really see his food in the bowl right now. Try putting a sheet of white paper or a paper plate and with him sitting on it drop a dubia in front of him. If he sees it moving he may go for it.
ok i will definitely try that but i have a couple friends that work at the pet store that i shop at and they said that they were feeding crickets but would feed dubias every so often so i went and got some and am trying to start a colony so i don’t have to spend so much but thank you for all the advice

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
O.K, let me know what happens, if he starts to eat. :)
Went and got him some crickets and he just ate one. I am super happy and have so much less stress and anxiety now. I got him 5 small crickets so I put the other 4 in his tank so he can do some natural hunting tonight. Thank you for your advice you dont know how much I appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, you're welcome ! One thing though, if he doesn't catch the other ones they may actually do some biting on your lizard. Crickets are known for that if left in the tank. See how he looks tomorrow, be on the watch for possible tiny marks [ bites] or if you can catch them .

Austinnnnn23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh, you're welcome ! One thing though, if he doesn't catch the other ones they may actually do some biting on your lizard. Crickets are known for that if left in the tank. See how he looks tomorrow, be on the watch for possible tiny marks [ bites] or if you can catch them .
Yea Know that is a possibility so thats why im just going to leave them in for tonight and whatever he doesnt eat ill probably just feed to my beardie

Hatchi

Beardie name(s)
Alfred AKA The UlanBaby
Hello everyone i just recently got a fat tail gecko on November 13th so it’s now been a little over 2 weeks and he still won’t eat i would say it’s probably about 6 months range for age but i’m just starting to get concerned that his tail isn’t going to be able to supply him for ever so if anyone has any helpful advice please share thanks
Maybe you are not feeding him what he wants. Geckos may be picky. Try to switch it up a bit. Also, post this in the "GECKOS" forums. You might have more luck there. This is an off-lizard-topic "BREAK ROOM".

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom