I have made a discovery

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
So I went to a local breeder today to talk about buying new basking bulbs and when I said "I'm here to replace my infareds for Arcadia Halogens" They told me why? So I went on to tell them everything I've heard and they gave me a sheet. Bearded dragons cannot see red which means that infared globes should not have any effect on beardies at all seeming that they can't see it. I'm really confused still because I'm being told by one that beardies are ok with red and others saying that white lights are the best option.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Haha what they said almost made me laugh..

So if by their logic beardies can’t see “red”, then they wouldn’t even see the light coming from those infrared bulbs. The whole purpose of basking bulbs is to simulate the heat and light coming from the sun. If your beardie can’t see the light they can get really confused. So it doesn’t even make sense.

Also it’s just a huge misconception that they can’t see the color red. Even if it’s not in the human sense of “red”, they do have great color vision. I believe The specific term to describe that is “tetrachromatic”, which means beardies have 4 color receptors (humans have 3). That also helps them sense UV lights.

I have absolutely no idea why the breeder even tried to stop you from getting your own basking bulb. You can probably throw their sheet away or If you’re unsure about anything else on it just ask in this thread.

That was a lengthy reply! Mostly kinda angry at the irresponsible breeder. But just to share a fun anecdote about red and beardies, I just gave red bell pepper to Draco today, mixed the pieces up with romaine lettuce. And he patiently picked out all of the greens and left me half a plate of red bell pepper! He did it without hesitation too. They definitely see what’s going on.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
(finds this discussion interesting)- For the record, I don't think Rocky can see white- he runs head first into white walls. :oops: I definitely will watch this thread as this is an interesting conversation. I am tagging @KarrieRee because you want to follow up quickly regarding the basking as it's needed for digestion (and other things). It's almost breakfast time, lol however, since you said blubS, I think you have some back up bulbs!

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
(finds this discussion interesting)- For the record, I don't think Rocky can see white- he runs head first into white walls. :oops: I definitely will watch this thread as this is an interesting conversation. I am tagging @KarrieRee because you want to follow up quickly regarding the basking as it's needed for digestion (and other things). It's almost breakfast time, lol however, since you said blubS, I think you have some back up bulbs!
Rocky is such a dork, I adore him :D Draco usually runs toward the wall and starts scratching, any kind of boundaries seems too small for him lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I went to a local breeder today to talk about buying new basking bulbs and when I said "I'm here to replace my infareds for Arcadia Halogens" They told me why? So I went on to tell them everything I've heard and they gave me a sheet. Bearded dragons cannot see red which means that infared globes should not have any effect on beardies at all seeming that they can't see it. I'm really confused still because I'm being told by one that beardies are ok with red and others saying that white lights are the best option.
You want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- dragons can see better than we can and the colored bulbs damage the 3 rd eye on the top of their heads - that is a eye used to spot predators --- please do not use any colored bulbs at all -- you want to mimic the sun and I dont think our sun is purple red green or any other color --- you want two good bulbs in the tank --- a good UVB NO coils please and a good basking bulb as mentioned -- if you need more help please ask -- and please do not listen to the person you were getting the info about colored bulbs -- he has been misinformed as well ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They also see spectrums of light we don't. If you want to test that, go open a window (to let unfiltered sunlight in) and walk around with your beardie for a minute, then go walk into the sunlight. Watch how quickly your beardie gives you a panicked side eye. I bet it raises up to full height on its front legs to. We look different to them in sunlight and they don't recognize use. It takes them a little while to get used to it.

Echoing

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Echo
They also see spectrums of light we don't. If you want to test that, go open a window (to let unfiltered sunlight in) and walk around with your beardie for a minute, then go walk into the sunlight. Watch how quickly your beardie gives you a panicked side eye. I bet it raises up to full height on its front legs to. We look different to them in sunlight and they don't recognize use. It takes them a little while to get used to it.
You want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- dragons can see better than we can and the colored bulbs damage the 3 rd eye on the top of their heads - that is a eye used to spot predators --- please do not use any colored bulbs at all -- you want to mimic the sun and I dont think our sun is purple red green or any other color --- you want two good bulbs in the tank --- a good UVB NO coils please and a good basking bulb as mentioned -- if you need more help please ask -- and please do not listen to the person you were getting the info about colored bulbs -- he has been misinformed as well ---
Rocky is such a dork, I adore him :D Draco usually runs toward the wall and starts scratching, any kind of boundaries seems too small for him lol
Haha what they said almost made me laugh..

So if by their logic beardies can’t see “red”, then they wouldn’t even see the light coming from those infrared bulbs. The whole purpose of basking bulbs is to simulate the heat and light coming from the sun. If your beardie can’t see the light they can get really confused. So it doesn’t even make sense.

Also it’s just a huge misconception that they can’t see the color red. Even if it’s not in the human sense of “red”, they do have great color vision. I believe The specific term to describe that is “tetrachromatic”, which means beardies have 4 color receptors (humans have 3). That also helps them sense UV lights.

I have absolutely no idea why the breeder even tried to stop you from getting your own basking bulb. You can probably throw their sheet away or If you’re unsure about anything else on it just ask in this thread.

That was a lengthy reply! Mostly kinda angry at the irresponsible breeder. But just to share a fun anecdote about red and beardies, I just gave red bell pepper to Draco today, mixed the pieces up with romaine lettuce. And he patiently picked out all of the greens and left me half a plate of red bell pepper! He did it without hesitation too. They definitely see what’s going on.
Well thanks for the replies all these thoughts about lighting have made me start pulling my hair out because I sit there and think 1 question that turns to 2 and then I have 1000 questions. This is honestly so confusing but I think after 5 threads I'm started to get the hang of it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bearded dragons cannot see red
Completely false.

Bearded dragons have an extra cone in their eyes when compared to human eyes. (dragons have 4 cones, humans have 3) This means they can see more of the lighting spectrum than humans can, and more colors than humans can... Where humans can see only what we've deemed "visible light" on the spectrum, dragons can visibly see light outside of these wavelengths.

This means that if you can see something, a dragon can see it too, and most likely in a much more vivid manner. If you can see red, your dragon can see red... remember... they can see more colors than we can..

Do yourself a favor, stop getting advice from those people. Maybe print them out your own little sheet to explain the biology behind a bearded dragons eyes.

-Brandon

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am soooo trying this....and I will return crying.
New Post: Rocky didn't recognize me in natural light and I am heartbroken.

Yeah, I should probably wait awhile for this!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Well the apple doesn't fall far...oh wait, he's not my child but close enough:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nature vs Nurture

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom