I don't think my roommate takes proper care of her reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalaen

Hello, I'm here specifically because I'm worried about the welfare of the animals in my house. I'm an animal lover and it hurts me to see animals being mistreated. Please keep in mind that these lizards do NOT belong to me or I would know a lot more about their proper care and they wouldn't be in this situation. I'm begging for any advice you have for me to help them even a little. This is going to be a long post as I want to describe the situation of the lizards in detail, as I don't know too much about lizards (or reptiles in general, I'm an amateur with snakes but have extremely little experience with any other reptiles).

My roommate has always painted herself as a reptile expert, and for several reasons it's come to light that this is extremely untrue. She has two lizards, one male maui uromastyx that she's had since childhood and one female orange phase bearded dragon that she got within the last year. If anyone knows anything about uromastyx I would love your help as well, but it's the beardie that I and others have become concerned about.

The beardie was supposedly almost a year old when my roommate got her. Since then, she has barely grown at all and she is absolutely tiny compared to beardies I've seen on the internet and TV. I just measured her with a sewing tape and she's only 6" from nose to tail with an additional 10" of tail length. The widest part of her back/belly is a scant three inches across (when she's slightly 'puffed out') and she used to be noticably thinner with almost no roundness at all to the sides of her belly. A friend pointed out that her hipbones are visible. Her claws are in some cases curling over, which when I asked about it and offered to trim/file them my roommate told me was normal because bearded dragons climb. I have 4+ years of experience working at kennels and dog groomers and it doesn't seem normal to me for any animal's claws to be curling over.

Lately, the beardie who I've seen before to be a pretty bright orange has turned a very dark brown. She's recently shed her back so it isn't discolored dead skin. A friend with some knowledge of lizards (though not beardies) pointed out that she's starting to get two very small kinks in her tail which he heard can indicate illness in beardies.

Her behaviour has always been somewhat strange but has gotten worse. She's very sluggish and at times seems like she can't even keep her eyes open. She has a weird habit of pushing herself up to sit vertically against things (usually the wall of the tank) by putting her front feet on it and pressing up against it to make her body a sort of 'L' shape. Recently she's begun pressing herself up against the glass more, making herself completely vertical with only her tail and her back feet on the ground. She rests like this for long periods of time, I'd even say the majority of the time.

Her diet was for a very long time almost exclusively crickets fed weekly or more often biweekly. Finally my roommate purchased a type of beardie kibble and feeding her this seems to have increased her appetite. I have no idea if this kibble has any nutritional value (I know a great many dog kibbles don't) but it now makes up her entire diet. It's called repti-cal adult bearded dragon food with fruit. She's only ever really gotten vegetables when I fed them to her while feeding my boyfriend's pet rabbit.

The living situation is... the uromastyx and beardie are in the same tank. I know that's probably terrible. They're living on orange 'calcium sand' which I've heard is a huge no no. My boyfriend has said he's seen both lizards eat the sand. The tank is one of the ones with the sliding doors. I haven't measured it but it seems a pretty adequate size, it's quite big. There is nothing to measure temperature or humidity. I wish I could tell you those things, but unfortunately I can't. On the hot end of the tank there's a heat lamp resting on the mesh with a huge desert bulb in it which (my roommate says) is the kind of bulb the uromastyx needs. I think it's too hot for a beardie because she's always all the way on the other end of the tank pressed up against the glass. There's a log propped up so the lizards can climb right up and sit directly under the light, close enough that I wonder if they can get burned. The waste is never cleaned out of the tank (I've only seen it done maybe 3 times and I've lived with this girl for two years). There are hides provided but I've never seen the beardie use them.

Please ask me any questions you need. I'd love to tell you more about the uromastyx's condition or get any pictures you need. My roommate also owns a turtle, if anyone wants to talk about proper turtle care. I'm really concerned about all of her pets and I want to help them. Thank you so much for your time.

David

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi David. The uromastyx and beardie should definitely not be housed together as they both need different environments to thrive properly. If you want there are 2 articles on the right under new/updated called Newbies guide on what to buy and Newbies guide on lighting help. Maybe you can get her to read those before it's to late for both of them. Your a good person for noticing that there is a problem and want to help. :D

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Besides housing the two lizards together, poor enclosure hygiene, improper diet and likely not having proper temps for the BD one big problem I see (or don't see) is no mention of UVB light.

The lack of UVB can cause MBD, a bone disease caused by the inability to process calcium and produce the D3 vitamin. This could be the cause of the leaning you're seeing with the dragon.

It's good that the dragon is eating the prepared food, that's not bad, but it should also have fresh greens, fruits and insect protein daily.

I think the bottom line is whether or not your roommate is willing to be educated and then make the necessary changes required to provide a happy and healthy life for that beardie...and the other animals.
I'd see if you could tactfully show this site to your roommate, specifically the care sheets, and see if she is receptive to swallowing her pride and doing what's right by her animals.

If not you're likely fighting a losing battle...unfortunately.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom