I can’t tell if he’s actually blind or if it’s something else?

Salem.boi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
So I have a rescue bearded dragon, he came to me in a 35x17x17 tank with a single heat bulb, with red sand substrate (is now in a 48x18x18 with safe substrate and proper lighting) super underweight, with a kink in his tail (like 90° angle right at the tip), and assumed blind in one eye, and only being fed insects. getting him to consistently eat greens has been a 2 year project. He still doesn’t eat on his own, I have to tong feed him but I’m okay with that!

I recently was holding him and noticed his bad eye move and react to something I did, so I’ve been doing a couple tests to see if he can see anything, and he does seem to be reactive to light, I also noticed, upon much closer inspection that it really looks like there’s just a film that’s stuck over his eye covering it, and it looks kind of like a nictitating membrane.

Is it possible that the nictitating membrane on that eye is stuck? It’s only on one eye, hence why I am unsure. He’s between 6-8 yrs old I believe.

Regardless his eye doesn’t seem to cause him any pain or discomfort from what I can tell, he just has trouble balancing and no depth perception, but otherwise it doesn’t seem to bother him.

Any guidance or suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I don’t think I’ll be able to help too much, but I’d suggest getting a picture of his eye, both the bad eye and the good eye (for comparison) and sending them here, @AHBD might be able to give you a hand.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Pictures are always helpful but with an unknown injury or problem to the eye a visit to an experienced reptile vet is a good idea. If it's nothing treatable he will still be fine, most animals adjust easily to losing sight .

Salem.boi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
Pictures are always helpful but with an unknown injury or problem to the eye a visit to an experienced reptile vet is a good idea. If it's nothing treatable he will still be fine, most animals adjust easily to losing sight .
I genuinely forgot to post the photos, and was wondering why I wasn’t getting any responses 🤣 Here are the best photos I could get.
It doesn’t seem to bother him I just want to make sure it’s not something super urgent while I try to find a proper vet and save up some funds for it.

Attachments

• AA341FB2-24AB-4CAF-868D-94D700F58042.jpeg
    AA341FB2-24AB-4CAF-868D-94D700F58042.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 89450D56-70BF-4E16-B7C2-930DBEBE569C.jpeg
    89450D56-70BF-4E16-B7C2-930DBEBE569C.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 3C94405E-8E64-4F21-A9C1-DEFA7FDD0835.jpeg
    3C94405E-8E64-4F21-A9C1-DEFA7FDD0835.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom