I can’t sleep

It’s currently 5:00AM and I was woken up to Mr prickles scratching the glass and walking around his enclosure, I had a heart attack for 5 seconds and then realized I was not in danger.. Maybe it was because it’s too warm so I cooled but is there a way to change your beardies sleep pattern? Because right now we both think each other are weird after I flashed my flashlight at him.

SPandS

Juvie Member
What is his light schedule? It's odd for a beardie to be awake when the lights are off but if he goes to sleep too early it's possible it'll make him wake up early too.

What are his over night temps and how are you warming the tank at night? There shouldn't be any light on at night and he doesn't need any added heat unless it's colder than 65.

DragonKeeper4787

Original Poster
His light schedule is normal, starting at 7:00Am and ending at 10:00Pm Tonight was kind of warm and the only "night" light we had in that house is red light.

SPandS

Juvie Member
That is probably what disturbed his sleep. They have a third eye on the top of their heads that is why if you need extra heat a ceramic heat emitter or deep heat projector is recommended. But again extra heat is only necessary if temps go below 65.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His light schedule is normal, starting at 7:00Am and ending at 10:00Pm Tonight was kind of warm and the only "night" light we had in that house is red light.
Please shut the red light off --- it can cause long term eye damage and like SPandS stated it disrupts the sleep --- what are you using for basking bulb and a UVB? coil or a tube fixture -

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok, I will change the red light, and I will change it to a reptisun light, thank you!
Basking bulb that is a solid clear bright white bulb that keeps temps for adult 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- example zoo med repti basking or a Exo Terra intense basking bulb-- please no daytime bulbs off white or yellowish bulbs

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
If your going to have a light on after 10 I recommend covering the cage. Once the lights go out on ours since we’re still sitting in the living room with lights on both cages are covered with a blackout curtain. And they’re uncovered when the lights come back on in the morning. This way their sleep isn’t being interrupted by the lights.

DragonKeeper4787

Original Poster
Yes thank you, I will use your advise. And I'm frankly surprised there was no lol comments, cuz if my I saw myself bamboozled in the night thinking the Russians are invading, I'd be laughing for an hour straight 😂

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Yes thank you, I will use your advise. And I'm frankly surprised there was no lol comments, cuz if my I saw myself bamboozled in the night thinking the Russians are invading, I'd be laughing for an hour straight 😂
Lol I did for a sec but I can understand hearing a strange noise out of nowhere. Here is a pic of one my terrariums I have wrapped up. I leave the top open so it can stay vented and air can get in.

Attachments

• BA2E3323-F817-465C-9ED5-05CE14F6B41F.jpeg
    BA2E3323-F817-465C-9ED5-05CE14F6B41F.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 78

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Lol I did for a sec but I can understand hearing a strange noise out of nowhere. Here is a pic of one my terrariums I have wrapped up. I leave the top open so it can stay vented and air can get in.
If you wanna make it easier, get a curtain rod and some side mount rod holders, or some type of hook you can make protrude from the side. You can put the blackout curtain on an actual rod, and just open and close as needed. I did that for a minute till I moved Thor out of my bedroom and into the very rarely used living room

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
If you wanna make it easier, get a curtain rod and some side mount rod holders, or some type of hook you can make protrude from the side. You can put the blackout curtain on an actual rod, and just open and close as needed. I did that for a minute till I moved Thor out of my bedroom and into the very rarely used living room
Didn’t think about that but most of the side mounts require screws so how did you mount yours or what kind did you use?

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Didn’t think about that but most of the side mounts require screws so how did you mount yours or what kind did you use?
Well, Thor's house was built by me, and it's wood on the side, so I just used some shirt metal screws and drilled small holes. I used sheet metal screws because the threads are coarser than wood screws, and would hold up better with differing amounts of tension on them, from opening and closing the curtain.

If you have a glass enclosure, use a hot glue gun and glue the supports to the side.

NoahPayne95

Well, Thor's house was built by me, and it's wood on the side, so I just used some shirt metal screws and drilled small holes. I used sheet metal screws because the threads are coarser than wood screws, and would hold up better with differing amounts of tension on them, from opening and closing the curtain.

If you have a glass enclosure, use a hot glue gun and glue the supports to the side.
Agree

NoahPayne95

The concerns about DCA side effects arise with chronic use of DCA. Since this concern can affect a person's life and career, caution is recommended as it has been shown that studies into the use of DCA in humans will be conducted.

DCA has been studied since at least 1960, but was never approved for sale in the European Union because of insufficient evidence to show it was safe or effective. This means that until these questions are answered, DCA cannot be sold in Europe for human consumption.

The following toxins can cause hyperglycemia, which can lead to certain DCA side effects:

Not all DCA side effects include the above mentioned ones, and it is unwise to assume that all the listed side effects are caused by a particular substance unless you have been personally affected by it. Unfortunately this means you should take caution when using substances that might cause a chemical imbalance.

Source: DCA dosage and usage (Long guide) | DCA Guide

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom