I believe that I'm about to lose my second baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virus

Hatchling Member
If anyone remembers my baby Grudge who passed away on new years from negligence from the pet store...well the past is rearing its head again.

One of the other babies that I had got from the pet store began to show the same symptoms as he had. She began to lose the use of her rear legs, and her spine began to curve.

I am home on a day off from training with the unit. I hear she has been shaking her head randomly, and have now witnessed it. My fears are worse now. While basking, I noticed that she started to shake her head again, though now blood is in her mouth. I don't believe the bleeding is from her mouth.

I am truly at a loss...

Forgive me, this is brief, but I have to comfort my dear.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh no I am sorry :(
What UVB do you have your little one under and also what type of calcium are you using?Is this beardie from the same pet store?It is possible that they both did not have the ability to properly breakdown calcium normally.I would do my best to get to a vet ASAP as a calcium injection may help and if you cant to that then get some liquid calcium to dose although as serious as it sounds I really think you need a calcium injestion ASAP!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is sad, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with another one now.
What morph is he? Is he a trans or hypo, or do you know if the parents were inbred?
It sounds like you need medical intervention quickly. It could be a calcium absorption or something else. How old is he?

Tracie

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, Envy is from the same store as Grudge. As is another named Grief. Grief is not growing quickly by any means, and seems to have a respiratory infection. I have another two, Malice and Mercy. I got both of them from different breeders, and they are in great health.

All my beardies are under megarays, one of which I believe is a bad egg, and need to contact the company for. Also, their dubia are covered in calcium powder (with D3), and they get other snacks here and there such as silk worms, horn worms, pheonix worms, wax worms, and butterworms. Of course they get their daily salad of mixed greens.

Envy has been to the vet a couple weeks ago when she began to show signs of losing her mobility. I was away so the girlfriend was who took her. I had them administer a calcium shot, and any test possible, though I don't recall any bad news. all of my beardies were treated for parasites back when Grudge was found with a few. The only thing we didn't do, is get an xray. My girlfriend chose not to get one as they are admittedly pricey. She is upset with herself over the decision now, but there was no way of knowing.

About the bloodline, I do not know her heritage. The pet store didn't know anything other than they came from a breeder in California. She is mostly normal tan/grey, but is coming in with a nice amount of orange on her face and front legs.

Right now she is asleep, but as of before going to bed, there was no more blood incidents.

Edit: On age, she is roughly 5-6 months of age as a guess, and roughly 14".

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Wow i dont know what to say. Incidently with megaray you need calcium without D3. They are strong enough to stimulate the beardies to make their own.

Is she going poop regularly, are you giving her baths to keep her hydrated?? i dont know what else to suggest.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, unfortunately I am not able to be with my beardies everyday. I was able to drive home and see them because of the superbowl, but it will be up to three weeks before I can see them again.

She has been pooping, and they look big enough to be normal, and she does get baths. I gave her a nice long one yesterday evening. When she's in the warm water, she kicks her feet again. It makes me cry to see her that way, especially after I've seen it before. Though it makes me happy as well to see her be able to move again, even a little during her baths.

Awhile back I ordered calcium dust without d3 and liquid calcium from one of these online sites...though I never received it. On megaray making it unnecessary to have d3, I have heard arguments on both sides, and it makes me hesitate on switching over.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I am going on what is both recommended by the companies and by people who have used them for a very long time, I do know that too much D3 is harmful, as any micro-nutrient is.

Perhaps it was an issue of inbreeding if both babies have been effected.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It could be that. Also the store didn't have anything close to sufficient lighting or other enclosure requirements. Though at the time, I wasn't aware of everything. Fortunately, once I came home with them I did all the research I could and overhauled their environment.

Today Envy is pretty alert. I hear she tried swimming in her bath today, and has been climbing all day. So right now, things are relatively alright. Though tomorrow could always be a different story.

remi1

Juvie Member
Did you ever figure out why the first one died?

I'm soo glad to hear that Envy is doing better :blob5:

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
In the case of Grudge, it started with a suspected impaction. I got him to work through it, but he never regained the use of his hind legs. He had multiple parasites, and I picked up treatment for all my beardies for those. Meanwhile, Grudge's back never got better, in fact, it progressively grew worse.

He had a bad case of scoliosis along with multiple breaks in his back. He survived about 5 weeks from this problem, but on new years eve, he succumbed to his ailments.

Oh, Envy has a puffy black beard, but it looks like she just pooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom