I am soooo angry!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerLvr

So today I went to petsmart to pick up a rock, some crickets, and my daughter wanted a new Beta fish. As always when I go, I hopped on over to look at the baby beardies. They have 2 spots, one for fancy, and one for regular. As I look at the regular, I notice a foot sticking out from under the heavy rock they have in there and the tip was black. I was like omggg the rock is on the babies foot! I quickly run to the counter and tell someone about this. 5 minutes later.. yes.. 5!!!! a lady walks over and asks what the problem is. I point and say the rock is on the babies foot and i'm pretty sure its broken. She then takes her sweet time trying to open the enclosure, explaining how its remote control and doesn't work most of the time... meanwhile I'm about to have a heartattack tryin to get to this baby.

She finally gets in the tank, and I quickly remove the rock to her anger. "I was working on it" she says.. I reply well not quick enough! The baby tries to scurry away dragging its back leg. Theres a vet within that FINALLY got a rep vet on staff who is awesome. I ask the lady to take the baby to the vet to look at it.. she then tries to explain to me, which wasn't flyin btw, that she had to get permission from her store manager to do that, and that the store manager was out on maternity leave! Omggg my blood was about boiling. I tell her take it to the vet or I will purchase the baby to get it there immediately. She then tells me she cannot sell me that beardie because its injured (umm Duh!). So I try to explain to her the cruelty she is doing by not walking the entire 50 feet to get the beardie looked at. FINALLY this ***** decides to go over to the vets.

My 14 year old daughter was already over at the vets by this point asking for the Doc, whom we know. She came out and as my daughter was explaining the situtuation, the petsmart chic walks over with the beardie (finally) with me in tow. Vet immediately takes the lil guy and has a vet tech get a tank and light set up (baby was very cold, which made me wonder how long it had been this way since it was entirely black at this point). So now I sit here, 3 hours later, waiting for the vet to give me an update on the lil guy. I sure hope he's ok. The vet tech who works there has a beardie herself and has offered to give it a home during its healing (I offered to help get her a tank if needed, she had a 40 gal breeder tank thats an extra anyway so yayyy).

Had to share because none of my friends understood my hysterics and crying today when I tried to talk to them about the baby.. they all think i'm nuts apparantly. I wish if people were gonna sell these wonderful companions that they would actually make sure they were safe and cared for! Thank you for letting me rant, just really upset me to see this today.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Good job you were there to notice it. That was appauling of that woman- anyone in their right mind would not have bothered/thought about getting permission- honestly thats just rediculous. I hope the beardie is ok :(

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
That really makes me mad. People just don't get the fact that animals have emotions and feel pain. That is why I did not get my beardie at a chain store. They should not be allowed to sell animals.

grendel9

Juvie Member
Thank you so much for doing what you did for that baby. You are awesome! :)
Whenever I see animals in pet stores (not injured like that one, but looking sickly or something), I always want to rescue them, but then I feel like I'm just supporting the cycle, you know? And then I also feel like once I start, I won't stop. I worked at a humane society briefly, and I couldn't take it. I'm sure if I worked at Petsmart or Petco, I'd end up buying every single beardie that came in.
I hope that little guy makes it.

Livey

Extreme Poster
I hate pet shops, there terrible for stuff like that,
I once went into a pet shop, to find a viv with the door wide open,
We stood there for like an hour to see what was going on..
There were actually crested geckos in there, on the roof lol
But we said to her` whats going on, why have you left the door open`
and her reply was ` there new`???
What the hell thats know excuse to leave the doors open!

boxers

Hatchling Member
I work at a Petsmart and can tell you that I've gotten in trouble with management for taking animals to the vet. They are cheap and don't want to pay for it, you see. But that employee was either trying to shrug responsibility or didn't know the rules, because ANY manager can okay a vet trip, not just the store manager. And I'm sure there was an acting replacement for their store manager anyway. Now, the actual paying of the vet needs a specific manager, but that can wait several days after they've seen the animal because, duh, you can't run away from them, you work in the same frikken building.

You'd be surprised how many lizards lose tails or toes due to careless employees setting heavy items on top of them. Maybe if their cages weren't so tiny, there'd be room to maneuver, and be less aggression and food hogging, but I'm just some kind of crazy PETA person if I have any opinion on animal rights :roll:

Kalec

I'd get the name of the employee and the store number and report it to Corporate. Might not do any good, but at least someone will have spoken out. You're lucky they had a herp vet at Banfield, my store is terrible with seeing reptiles. I'm fairly obsessive about the care though, and am quick to put any that are getting picked on in a separate tank in the quiet room. The one we have out back now is fat and has a very quirky personality. :D

Hey Boxerlvr

Good job on just standing up and saying something and sticking out what you did was very cool and we all know Petsmart and the others all suc at the little animals department. Thats all I wanted to say thank you for getting pissy :)

boxerLvr

Original Poster
Love your name boxer :)

The baby is doing good. I've called and checked on him bunches of times. Taking the school dragon in there next week so will be able to check a little closer, I trust the herp vet there, heck I use her now myself.

DC5Los

wow I would have been angry as well, you did a great and awesome job. as for your friends..... they don't know the love we get and give to from our beardies. that's why i love my shop, they are a big shop but they are one on one and love their guys.

Good job making her listen to you, and demanding that baby be seen! (And I know it must have helped that you knew the vet!) It amazes me that people are so careless and nonchalant about things like that, and you can bet your bottom dollar if it were a kitten or a dog limping around with a broken foot that some stupid employee broke by being careless they would NOT take their sweet time. Because people would jump all over them because it's a "cute" animal. :evil:

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
FrancoisBeans":1katyo0p said:
Good job making her listen to you, and demanding that baby be seen! (And I know it must have helped that you knew the vet!) It amazes me that people are so careless and nonchalant about things like that, and you can bet your bottom dollar if it were a kitten or a dog limping around with a broken foot that some stupid employee broke by being careless they would NOT take their sweet time. Because people would jump all over them because it's a "cute" animal. :evil:

Exactly my point too, these double standards pi*s me off majorly!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

boxerLvr

Original Poster
Stopped in to check on the baby today. He's doing wonderful. I wanted to talk to the store manager about him (couldn't see him as he was in their isolation room) but the manager wasnt there until tomorrow.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Im glad he`s doing better!
And good job on trying to get to speak to the manager! :mrgreen:

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
WOW. that's just rubbish. I hate looking at the poor babies in the display cases. It makes me sick.

Good for you for being proactive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom