I am done

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, not many of you know that my baby died 2 nights ago. He was 5 months old. It's not the same anymore. I have his sister and I LOVE her more than any reptile I have owned. But now I have this empty cage and I just don't want to fill it again. Not with a bearded dragon anyway. I have come to realize bearded dragon are not for me. It may be the fact that I watched Eustace die before I could get him into a vet. It may be the fact that I myself couldn't save him. It also my be the fact I sincerely blame myself for his passing. Whatever it is that has cause my mindset to change, I'm done with bearded dragons. That's it the final straw I can't keep doing this to myself. I can afford some expensive breeders with a health garuntee. Let me tell you something I have had many bearded dragons. 2 years worth. First there was Germaine he died the day I got him 2 inches long he was. Then their was Sun 9 months later liver failure due to genetics. I couldn't afford the cost so I signed him over to the bet who gave him to a girl to "save" (she was a breeder) he was yellow with blue bars amazing and breeding quality. There liver failure stamp on him was purely because he was yellow. They said he should not be yellow. Well I now believe they lied to get their hands on him cause she said he was healthy the 3 previous times in 2 weeks I had brought him in. Then there was Mack pinworms and coccidia so many pinworms they were coming out in his feces. The meds he needed would kill his kidneys so we post him. Then there was Ri crazy dragon hurt himself and anyone who tried to touch him. Have him to Someone else where there wouldn't be a crazy 3 year old screaming and no dogs or cats. He is now happy and healthy. Then there was GG wouldn't grow wouldn't eat rescue picked him up he died shortly after. Then Miriam who is still with me and hope she will be for a long time and them there was Eustace and he's dead now too. In the 2 years I have had beardeds I have done research talked with breeders made my cages as safe and functional as possible yet I manage to find the worst off reptiles :/ so to me it's not worth it anymore. I love these reptiles but I constantly am getting rid of them or they die and there isn't a damn thing wrong with my husbandry. They are just ALWAYS sick or getting sick when I get them and its SO FRUSTRATING I JUST WANT TO BAWL. So I'm just going to accept my fate. The fact that every bearded I have ever owned has died or been crazy. So I'm closing this part of my life. I won't rid of Miriam I couldn't do that but I'm not getting any more BD's. I'm going to move on. Get different species. Uros are on my list so I think I will start there.

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
Don't blame yourself it wasn't your fault i lost a bearded dragon and it was so sad and i still cry but i still am happy i own one and can get another.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I know exactly how you feel. The first bd I had turned out to have some problems. After she could never get over a URI she had a growth in her throat. She had to be put down. Then I got another one and she was loaded wirh parasites of all kinds. Then she developed a URI too. After a long time she had to be put down. I had hand fed both of them daily for about seven mos.
Cheryl from Rio reptiles helped out with all types of meds but I still had to put them down. I wondered if it was even in the cards for me to own a bd but I decided to try one more time. I got a bd from Cheryl and he is doing great. He has a great immune system. He had some parasite but unless I had his poop tested I wouldnt know since he has never stopped eating. I would recommend one from her.
Valerie

Molson

The fact that every bearded I have ever owned has died or been crazy.

I won't rid of Miriam

You've already proven yourself wrong.

You've obviously done right by her, and the other things that happened were clearly outside of your control. If you want to take a break from dragons that's fine, but you shouldn't let the reason be because of your string of poor luck. I think whatever animal you go with will get the best care it deserves.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
If you’re offering proper husbandry and are able to sustain your surviving beardie, than you can’t put the blame on yourself! Some people just have bad luck when it comes to pets. I kind of fall into that category myself. My first boxer died of cardiomyopathy, my second boxer has anxiety, my third boxer needed surgery on his tail because it got infected (he’s otherwise healthy so far), my fourth boxer, so far, is healthy. I had Dewey put to sleep last month because he kept having seizures with no known cause. Sometimes, the pet gods just want to toy with us I think, but if you’re doing right you shouldn’t give up.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm sorry about your bad luck with the dragons you've had, but it's not your fault. Some dragons just don't thrive when they're born, and they don't show diseases very well, you tend to notice something is wrong when they're very sick and sometimes they just can't heal. I've lost 6 dragons over the last 7 years, my Titan was only 1 1/2 yrs old when I had him put down on Dec 19/13 because of Yellow Fungus. So if you feel better with a different type of reptile, then go for it. Uros are wonderful pets, too. I hope you have much better luck with your next pet.

beardy98

Hatchling Member
Maybe try an already full grown dragon that you know is healthy. If the beardies had parasites did you clean out the cages really well before you put new ones in?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a great choice ! I've owned several over the years and they are really, really hardy. If you're sure you have a pair they may present you with 3-4 sweet babies because they are live bearers ! I believe the last one I had was a female, she had a small head + chubby body and she was so funny. She would wedge herself between a log or rock and the glass from the tank and wiggle really wildly as if to scratch an itch. She would do this for a full minute at a time, it was so comical. :lol: And when she hunted , if there were 2 crickets walking by at the same time, she could grab one with one corner of her mouth, then grab another out of the other side so she would have a cricket sticking out of both sides. They are much easier than beardies + only need 5-10 crix a day. I hope you enjoy yours !

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well I just looked them up and they are so cute, smaller than a beardie & hardier from what I read. Reading the previous post, sounds like they're a lot of fun, too. Congrats on your new babies! You'll have to post some pics when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom