I am confused..... again

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Rocky started digging today. He moved around the enclosure and began digging. Of course, I run and prepare a dig box and this time he used it (it was small so I transferred it to a bigger one)- he then continued to dig. I couldn't remember if I was supposed to cover it since it's not for laying eggs but as Rocky was also trying to go under his hide, I elected to provide a hide.
Rocky continued to dig for about another 20 minutes, then come out and scratch the tile. Afterwards, he came out and headed for the window -

What in the world?

Is he preparing ME?

I must say, I was more concerned about his needs that I didnt freak out as bad as I thought I would.

Temps are roughly the same. Rocky has been eating regularly, pooping regularly- he ate, pooped then started this behavior.
He is not being aggressive and still allows me to interact with him.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I recently increased his basking temp....I am going to lower it. I will see if this helps. There is a 5 degree change - (I could delete this post but it may be beneficial to someone else). I will update this post to let you know if it works.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He may just be curious on the dig box,i dunno why he started trying to dig, but once you gave him a place to do it, he may just be playing in it, I've seen mine do that.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
No update yet as he opted for natural sunlight, took a bath and is now sleeping. I put the other bulb back and we will see what it brings.

I will take the play over the poop like last time. I cleaned the area and will see how tomorrow goes.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Could just be shenanigans after a poop. Mine absolutely aims to demolish his enclosure after pooping, whether the smell drives him crazy or just a way to get my attention I’d never know. I’ve seen cats do the same thing? Scratching and running around after pooping.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Sometimes I have remember that I have a lot of FIRSTS that I still have to experience. We've been through so much it feels like forever, but it's practically been since Juneo_O

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Time goes by quickly for sure, i got Snicker Doodles in April but it seems like last week.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Guess what....Rocky is in brumation. I have been crying all day. I am so sad! I took out the dig box because he didn't use it but today felt different. He stayed in the window until he was flattening out - I took him down and put him in the enclosure, he ran right back to the window. I got on the floor and played with him and began crying because I knew it- I just knew it (the dramatics right!)- I got up so he didn't see me (leave me alone) and I came back and played and he ran to the corner. I put him in the enclosure. He didn't know what to do. Silly me, I cut the lights off and shut the blinds...he headed to bed so I opened them up and he started scratching. I haven't seen him since 12:15pm. It's been the worst day. I peeked but I didn't touch. I pulled the food that he didn't eat....oh yeah, when he wasn't interested in bugs, I also knew.
I left the water and lights as is. I will keep the basking light off and keep the uvb on daily. I will continue to cry each and every day. Rocky let me gets lots of hugs in beforehand but I am so devastated. I think he saw the stupid trees changing...and thought oh yeah it's that time (just kidding).

I am telling myself everything will be okay but whew this is tough. Out of all of the research that I did, how did I miss this part?!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I just heard him scratch around and move but I can no longer see his face...ugh.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I just heard him scratch around and move but I can no longer see his face...ugh.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Be sure to keep him hydrated, and try not to worry to much,although it's weird for us it's natural for them.
Look at the bright side, you can come here and read about and see pics of other beardies in the meantime. :)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I have been on here like 50 times reading and scrolling. I can't always reply through the tears but I am here lol. He had a bath on Sunday...I plan to still bathe him weekly but give him the drip off his head down his nose every couple of days. May I should do that today since it's day 2.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He shouldn't need as much water while brumating, his systems will be really slowed down, and temps will be lower, just use your best judgement. You got this :)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am grateful that Rocky took what he needed, some bugs, limited greens but some- he has calcium and his last bath was on Wednesday so he should be fine. The clock begins again.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You know what they say, ( who the heck is "they" anyways lol)
"A watched clock never moves"
In other words, find something to keep you occupied while Rock sleeps 💤 😴 it will help ya from going crazy 😜

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom