I am at a loss here...for substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I am at a loss for what to do with substrate, right now I'm using this stuff called Habi Chip that I received from lllreptile.com when I purchased my snake (cali king) at the expo, this is what the snake was housed on. I brought it home took out the astro turf and put in this habi chip stuff put my snake in there and he seemed fine even eating his first meal.

But the problem is that I feed frozen thawed, and snakes like to throw their food on the ground which means it picks up some of the substrate and the snake ingests it, but if I feed in another container people say(and I don't doubt) that it stresses the snake out and when putting back in even if you only pick up for a second could case the snake to :puke: . I tried the astro turf but it just didn't look pleasing at all and I was very worried that my snake would try and go under and go by the heater. my king also likes to burrow under the substrate and stick his little head out on the cool side.

ugh so what do I do?

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
I feed my Kenyan Sand Boas in a tote with a hole in it right in their enclosure. That way they eat with no risk of ingesting the substrate, but can go back into their enclosure without being handled.
God Bless,
Aaron

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Oooo... tote with a hole in it. That's a good idea.

I use a large cricket keeper, put in the cage with my snake, put my snake in it and when they are done eating, gently lean it over. Although, in all fairness, they can generally get themselves out of it just fine.

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
we feed Noodle in an empty plastic tub (the exo terra plastiv viv she used to live in) outside of her tank
once she's finished we can then put the tub inside her tank and let her climb out in her own time

this week i was a bit too slow and she was part out of the tub and around my arm by the time i made it to her tank :shock: :roll: (am not sure if this was her on a mission for more food or just wanting to go find a nice dark warm place to curl up and digest)

the tote idea is a good one, i do like to be able to watch her eat tho

transfering snakes can stress them but i think that in general kings and cornsnakes tolerate this alot better than many other snakes

We've had Noodle for over 12 months now and she has never reguritated and has only ever once refused a feed (she was v close to shedding) she has always been fed outside her tank then allowed to climb out of the tub or container she was in back into her tank, i much prefer this to risking her digesting some of her aspen bedding in which she lover to burrow

Ultimately its up to you and your snake and figuring out what works best for you both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom