I’m just lost…

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshaheen

I got a baby beardie from a breeder four days ago and ever since then he’s only ate about 3 mealworms and 4 crickets. His uvb light broke last night so I immediately got another one and it’s coming in the mail tomorrow. His temperatures are 105 in the basking spot, 90 in the warm area, and 85 in the cool. He has a basking hammock and other areas go climb. He hasn’t been eating much at all and I’m stuck and don’t know what to do. Any help?

adamshaheen

Original Poster
any chance of a bit more info on your baby beardie and the set up. Photo's of him and the set up (including lights).
Yes sure I will attatch pictures now. I’ve ordered some more wood and leaves to give him better areas to climb. I also ordered some new light fixtures so that the uvb can spread throughout the whole enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 87

adamshaheen

Original Poster
Here’s all the stuff I ordered I didn’t order a tube but I got it a separate fixture and I’ll place it in the middle of the enclosure so the uvb isn’t only at one side
thats good what UVB tube have you ordered and is it T5 or T8?

Attachments

• B31EE8E5-FDA5-476A-AD89-670B826C55F9.jpg
    B31EE8E5-FDA5-476A-AD89-670B826C55F9.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 98

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here’s all the stuff I ordered I didn’t order a tube but I got it a separate fixture and I’ll place it in the middle of the enclosure so the uvb isn’t only at one side
The coil is no good please return it--- they are inadequate- you want a long tube fixture like a 24" zoo med w/ a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the 10.0 - or this one a 24" Arcadia pro T 5 / a 12% bulb you can find these on www.pangeareptiles.com - please get 2 zoo med digital probe thermometers- correct basking temps you want surface basking temps 105-110 -- the basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR bright white bulb like a Exo Terra intense or a Zoo Med repti basking bulb-- the IR gun is good but it will not read off a hammock- you need the probe thermometer-- please No more meal worms the can cause impaction on babies the exo skeleton is too harsh on babies stomachs- he needs to be started on salads now I can post a website for that but please get the probes and the uvb asap- he won't eat w/ out proper lighting and temps-- when you get the uvb please post on here I will help you get it set up distance and placement is crucial your screen will determine where it goes

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Those coil UVB lights are totally useless and wont provide your Beardie with the UV he needs. Return it to Amazon and order an Arcadia Pro T5 12% UVB light tube

UV light is incredibly important as it is needed to help your dragon process calcium amongst other things.

If you continue to use a coil his appetite will probably decline further and other health issues will arise

adamshaheen

Original Poster
Those coil UVB lights are totally useless and wont provide your Beardie with the UV he needs. Return it to Amazon and order an Arcadia Pro T5 12% UVB light tube

UV light is incredibly important as it is needed to help your dragon process calcium amongst other things.

If you continue to use a coil his appetite will probably decline further and other health issues will arise
The coil is no good please return it--- they are inadequate- you want a long tube fixture like a 24" zoo med w/ a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the 10.0 - or this one a 24" Arcadia pro T 5 / a 12% bulb you can find these on www.pangeareptiles.com - please get 2 zoo med digital probe thermometers- correct basking temps you want surface basking temps 105-110 -- the basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR bright white bulb like a Exo Terra intense or a Zoo Med repti basking bulb-- the IR gun is good but it will not read off a hammock- you need the probe thermometer-- please No more meal worms the can cause impaction on babies the exo skeleton is too harsh on babies stomachs- he needs to be started on salads now I can post a website for that but please get the probes and the uvb asap- he won't eat w/ out proper lighting and temps-- when you get the uvb please post on here I will help you get it set up distance and placement is crucial your screen will determine where it goes
Thank you both very much. I do have an issue tho. If I were to order the tube light it wont arrive for a couple days and his current uvb bulb has been broken. Should I still cancel the delivery order for the ones I bought or use them until the tube comes? I also have a 40 gallon enclosure for him as he’s a baby but I’ll definitely upgrade in about 9-12 months when he’s older to a 75 or 110 gallon. I have these gauges but I decided not to use them would they work better than the govee one I have now ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you both very much. I do have an issue tho. If I were to order the tube light it wont arrive for a couple days and his current uvb bulb has been broken. Should I still cancel the delivery order for the ones I bought or use them until the tube comes? I also have a 40 gallon enclosure for him as he’s a baby but I’ll definitely upgrade in about 9-12 months when he’s older to a 75 or 110 gallon. I have these gauges but I decided not to use them would they work better than the govee one I have now ?
No on the gauges they give ambient temps only - please don't use the uvb coil return it--- get the long tube fixture ordered ASAP - you can call your reptile stores and see if they carry in store what was posted-- ask them exactly what they have do not let them sell you something else-

adamshaheen

Original Poster
No on the gauges they give ambient temps only - please don't use the uvb coil return it--- get the long tube fixture ordered ASAP - you can call your reptile stores and see if they carry in store what was posted-- ask them exactly what they have do not let them sell you something else-
Thank you I’m about to bike to my pet store and see if they have it. what do you recommend for food? I’ve been giving him crickets since he came but he rarely ate them. I feed him a salad every morning thst he rarely touches that includes collard greens, bell peppers, and butternut squash.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
You can try young locusts (hoppers) or Dubia Roaches. Either are a good alternative to crickets (and a lot quieter).

Waxworms should only ever be given as a rare treat - the last thing you need is a dragon that only wants to eat waxworms

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you I’m about to bike to my pet store and see if they have it. what do you recommend for food? I’ve been giving him crickets since he came but he rarely ate them. I feed him a salad every morning thst he rarely touches that includes collard greens, bell peppers, and butternut squash.
The diet your feeding is good but will not eat or eat very little w/ out proper basking temps and uvb that is what controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon - once that is corrected everything else will fall into place

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The diet your feeding is good but will not eat or eat very little w/ out proper basking temps and uvb that is what controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon - once that is corrected everything else will fall into place
Let me know what you find at the store

adamshaheen

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your help. It really does mean the world to me. I found two online that are at the store a mile away from me. Give me the go and I’ll get it tonight. I attached the pics for them here.
Here are the links
Let me know what you find at the store

Attachments

• 5C7DC653-208B-4498-93B9-7EC513B3A902.jpg
    5C7DC653-208B-4498-93B9-7EC513B3A902.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 35CB6FD8-BC55-4526-A8D2-C561108A7C32.jpg
    35CB6FD8-BC55-4526-A8D2-C561108A7C32.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 87

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for all your help. It really does mean the world to me. I found two online that are at the store a mile away from me. Give me the go and I’ll get it tonight. I attached the pics for them here.
Here are the links
That is a yes get them as soon as you can ---- I will help you get it placed for your tank please show me the screen on the tank and make sure you get those digital thermometers as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom