Hypotrans black eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
If a hypotrans baby doesn't have completely black eyes, will the eyes get black or would they get even less black by adulthood?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
mudskipper":3e0fo1m0 said:
If a hypotrans baby doesn't have completely black eyes, will the eyes get black or would they get even less black by adulthood?

Trans babies eyes gradually turn solid black over time and they usually will turn solid black by the age of 6 months. We have some that have been solid much sooner, and a few that have taken longer. If their eyes never turn 100% solid black, then they are considered a partial trans, and it has been explained to me that partial translucent dragons have a missing gene, or incomplete trans genes, and are therefore inferior stock and not of strong enough genetics to breed.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
mudskipper":27apfp3a said:
How about their scales? Can they turn more or less translucent?

In my personal experience, babies are born extremely translucent and you can often see their organs through their belly skin. Over time the translucency diminishes. I have thought about this myself and I believe as they gain belly fat it 'pads' their bellies and hides the organs. But that is just my speculation and I've never talked with anyone about that thought.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I had a clutch of hypos and hypo trans babies last year with magic genes. Half of the hypos turn completely trans within a week when they were 3 to 4 months old, eyes turn black and all. Never would have believed it if it didn't keep happening.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
RioReptiles":3t8vch9b said:
I had a clutch of hypos and hypo trans babies last year with magic genes. Half of the hypos turn completely trans within a week when they were 3 to 4 months old, eyes turn black and all. Never would have believed it if it didn't keep happening.

Dragon genetics is super interesting! People don't fully realize how complex it really is. I probably don't fully realize how complex it really is....! :lol:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
RioReptiles":3gjfqyds said:

Wow that's crazy! Do you have before and after pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom