Hypercalcemia vs. MBD

Beardie name(s)
Franklin
I know that this may seem to be an odd question, but I have noticed my bearded dragon being a bit more lethargic lately. She just went to the vet and underwent parasite treatment. I've noticed her spending more time in her hide and laying down. After her parasite treatment she seemed to be a lot happier. She was eating better and exploring more. However, just yesterday I noticed minute twitching.
She had previous signs of metabolic bone disease leading to an underbite. For this reason I have been giving her calcium with D3 every day. I was worried that her twitching was a result of MBD, but after reading a few things it seems that her lethargy could also be a symptom of hypercalcemia.
I wasn't sure how you can tell the difference? She originally had a coil UvB bulb, but recently I got her the Reptisun 10.0 25W strip bulb.

Side note: She is also currently shedding. I am not sure if the lethargy could be related to shedding. It just seems a bit odd because she has not always acted like this during a shed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The calcium issues are always hard to figure out, that is for sure.
How long did she have the compact/coil UVB lightDid you have a UVB light source previously when she developed the underbite? How close is the
Reptisun 10 tube bulb to her & is it on top of or underneath of the screen top?
Can she walk & climb without any trouble?
For now, go ahead & decrease the D3 to a coup;e of times weekly & the rest of the time you can use just
plain calcium.

Tracie

franklinsbiggestfan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Franklin
Hello,

The calcium issues are always hard to figure out, that is for sure.
How long did she have the compact/coil UVB lightDid you have a UVB light source previously when she developed the underbite? How close is the
Reptisun 10 tube bulb to her & is it on top of or underneath of the screen top?
Can she walk & climb without any trouble?
For now, go ahead & decrease the D3 to a coup;e of times weekly & the rest of the time you can use just
plain calcium.

Tracie
She had the underbite before I adopted her. I'm not sure what conditions she lived in before I got her. I imagine not great because she had been treated for mouth rot and she had coccidia and pin worms when I got her. I'm not sure what bulb they used either.
She had the compact bulb for about a month. The Reptisun bulb is about 12 inches from her on top of the screen. She can walk and climb just fine. She is especially mobile in the morning, just tends to get a bit lazy in the later afternoons.
Okay thank you. I skipped the D3 supplement today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, bless her. The short amount of time that you used the compact/coil bulb shouldn't really have
contributed to the underbite. She may have already had low calcium when you adopted her so all
you can do now is just help her maintain her health & calcium levels.
That's great she doesn't seem to have any mobility issues then, that is important!
Hopefully her cocicidia & pinworm levels are more normal now than when you got her.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

franklinsbiggestfan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Franklin
Hello,

Ok, bless her. The short amount of time that you used the compact/coil bulb shouldn't really have
contributed to the underbite. She may have already had low calcium when you adopted her so all
you can do now is just help her maintain her health & calcium levels.
That's great she doesn't seem to have any mobility issues then, that is important!
Hopefully her cocicidia & pinworm levels are more normal now than when you got her.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Thank you so much for your help!
I have not noticed twitching over the past week or so. She has been much more active and seems a lot happier. I think she is finally recovering from the parasites and the D3 every other day has helped a lot. I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom