Hydration Tips?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What kind of scale issues? He doesn’t poop in his enclosure, only in the bath. So I have to bath him every 3-5 days or he gets impacted. I’m not sure how to get him to poop in his enclosure again. I’ll try the eye dropper for sure! I’ve tried dropping the water on his snout, but he just sits there. It doesn’t seem to bother him enough to lick it off. He will just let it dry up.
To many baths dry out their skin, but the bigger issue is them not completely drying out between baths. If they don't get completely dry, mold, bacteria, or fungus can start to grow in their scales.

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
It’s fine then, just dry him and let him bask afterwards. Some beardies are like that. Can we get a picture of him btw? Like how dehydrated is he? If he eats his greens well there shouldn’t be a problem with hydration.
Here’s an image of him climbing and playing last night, where I think the wrinkles are most prevalent. He’s about to undergo a big shed I think, I assume this could be a contributing factor?

Attachments

• 0DEDA777-45A2-4318-9E24-8985D9F6AB48.jpeg
    0DEDA777-45A2-4318-9E24-8985D9F6AB48.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 76

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
To many baths dry out their skin, but the bigger issue is them not completely drying out between baths. If they don't get completely dry, mold, bacteria, or fungus can start to grow in their scales.
He’s always dried completely and then put back in his basking spot. His scales don’t look infected, but we have a vet appointment Monday so I will be sure to ask. Maybe he’s wrinkly from the baths?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He is a good looking dragon 🙂

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Bee pollen doesnt work for my beadie buttt my beardie LOVESS kale, she will pick the kale out of her salads and eat everything else, since she loves kale and will go to the salad when i put it down, i spray the salad with a spray bottle with water so when she eats it shell eat the water too

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Bee pollen doesnt work for my beadie buttt my beardie LOVESS kale, she will pick the kale out of her salads and eat everything else, since she loves kale and will go to the salad when i put it down, i spray the salad with a spray bottle with water so when she eats it shell eat the water too
He’s pretty indifferent toward kale. However, someone else told me to avoid too much kale because it binds the calcium. This was another question I’m going to ask the vet when I see him.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
He's a beauty. I will be the one to tell you- you are like me and loving on your dragon very hard. Take this comment with love...you will probably have to ease up just a little bit and observe him and let him tell you what he needs.

Please see my posts, I come to you with love and as a new beardie parent who is obsessed but trust us....the beardies sometimes know better than us.
From what I know, we can easily mess things up. As you saw previously what too many baths can do-
There are some areas that are trial and error such as the safe food (reference the food lists).
Going to the vet is a good idea but it's going to be something else tomorrow.

There are many experts here (like real experts/vets too) that will give you great advice...think of us as the support you need as we want to see your beardie survive!

Trust me this journey is hard, I wanted to cry yesterday but I also want you to be okay too. :) There is absolutely no doubt that we want the best for your beardie!

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
He's a beauty. I will be the one to tell you- you are like me and loving on your dragon very hard. Take this comment with love...you will probably have to ease up just a little bit and observe him and let him tell you what he needs.

Please see my posts, I come to you with love and as a new beardie parent who is obsessed but trust us....the beardies sometimes know better than us.
From what I know, we can easily mess things up. As you saw previously what too many baths can do-
There are some areas that are trial and error such as the safe food (reference the food lists).
Going to the vet is a good idea but it's going to be something else tomorrow.

There are many experts here (like real experts/vets too) that will give you great advice...think of us as the support you need as we want to see your beardie survive!

Trust me this journey is hard, I wanted to cry yesterday but I also want you to be okay too. :) There is absolutely no doubt that we want the best for your beardie!
Thank you so much. I’m always stressed he has a new form of illness, you are very much correct. It’s so hard to tell with these little guys! He’s my baby so I want him to live as long as possible. I will take him to the scheduled appointment, get a verdict, and generally ease up on him! I think he’s starting to get sick of my hovering too. 😂 He is still fairly active, so he’s not dehydrated to the point of lethargy. I just don’t understand these wrinkles!!!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
He’s pretty indifferent toward kale. However, someone else told me to avoid too much kale because it binds the calcium. This was another question I’m going to ask the vet when I see him.
that's outdated information. they have studied kale further and it is a great staple green. here's a good site for food reference. Nutrition Content (kale hasn't been updated on it yet)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Wrinkkes are normal, the way you tell is by pinching (gently) the skin into a tent shape, if it rebounds fairly quickly he is ok, if it remains tented up he is dehydrated. But wrinkles in and of themselves are not a problem.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom