Hydration Tips?

Beardie name(s)
LJ
Hey all! My beardie refuses to drink water. He winds up getting fairly dehydrated and a little wrinkly, so I shoot water water into his mouth with a syringe. I try not to do this often because I don’t want to accidentally aspirate him. He gets baths every other day, sometimes daily if I think he needs to extra boost. Does anyone have any other tips on how to keep them hydrated when they hate water? He gets fruit, but if I give him too much he will refuse to eat any greens (such a diva). Thanks!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi, please be careful - 1 bathe my beardie 1x week.
Did you try bee pollen on the greens? Did you try to hand feed him the greens?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can use an eyedropper it's more precise than a syringe. You can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor, just drop it on his snout. Be sure to use a wet paper towel or wet wash cloth to wipe away any that runs down their chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in their scales.
Also like Rock2022 said to many baths can cause scale issues.

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
You can use an eyedropper it's more precise than a syringe. You can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor, just drop it on his snout. Be sure to use a wet paper towel or wet wash cloth to wipe away any that runs down their chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in their scales.
Also like Rock2022 said to many baths can cause scale issues.
What kind of scale issues? He doesn’t poop in his enclosure, only in the bath. So I have to bath him every 3-5 days or he gets impacted. I’m not sure how to get him to poop in his enclosure again. I’ll try the eye dropper for sure! I’ve tried dropping the water on his snout, but he just sits there. It doesn’t seem to bother him enough to lick it off. He will just let it dry up.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
You could also try dripping/spraying water on his snout in the afternoon/evening when he's most thirsty.
Gut-loading stuff like that man.

I'd cut down on the baths
& Stop shooting water down his throat...

These are desert Australian creatures.
They have reptilian instinct to survive & they do live longer in captivity if cared for properly.

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe bearded dragons get most of their moisture from greens. If anything, you could try spritzing the greens with water? That would mean he gets his water with his food.
Right @Alinannyms If the beardie eats greens, which are spritz/rinsed first, you are satisfying the water (hydration) and feeding the beardie. You've got it!
It still seems like the greens don’t hydrate him enough, unfortunately. I think he may need actual water, his greens are always washed and sprayed. I’m not sure why he still is dehydrated.

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
You could also try dripping/spraying water on his snout in the afternoon/evening when he's most thirsty.
Gut-loading stuff like that man.

I'd cut down on the baths
& Stop shooting water down his throat...

These are desert Australian creatures.
They have reptilian instinct to survive & they do live longer in captivity if cared for properly.
He doesn’t poop unless he is given a bath. Do you have any tips on how to get him to poop in his enclosure again?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
If that's how he poops that's fine.
Don't give him too many baths.

Give him some unsweetened applesauce W/ 100% pure pumpkin.
It should help him pass stool.
Natural laxatives.

I've also heard psyllium husk can help them pass stool.

We all do it differently here.

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
If that's how he poops that's fine.
Don't give him too many baths.

Give him some unsweetened applesauce W/ 100% pure pumpkin.
It should help him pass stool.
Natural laxatives.

I've also heard psyllium husk can help them pass stool.

We all do it differently here.
He doesn’t have trouble pooping, he just only does it in the bath - if that make sense. So, he has to be put in the bath every 3-5 days depending on how much eats or he will get backed up. Is this considered too many baths?

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
He doesn’t have trouble pooping, he just only does it in the bath - if that make sense. So, he has to be put in the bath every 3-5 days depending on how much eats or he will get backed up. Is this considered too many baths?
It’s fine then, just dry him and let him bask afterwards. Some beardies are like that. Can we get a picture of him btw? Like how dehydrated is he? If he eats his greens well there shouldn’t be a problem with hydration.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Aim for 3X & see if you can have him going like that.
Make sure humidity isn't too high in the home if you're bathing him like that.

What age is the bearded dragon.?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom