Hurt bearded dragon ?

Hello hopefully I can get some help. I recently took my beardie to a vet to remove his clogged femoral pores the day after it seemed like he developed a limp on one of his back legs and is a bit swollen. He hasn’t want to eat and As of recently as well I noticed he doesn’t seem to be able to poop normally maybe Constipation? But I also took out some white stuff stuck in him I don’t know if this is all a reaction to him getting his femoral pores out or if it’s a more serious matter

Attachments

• 4EBDBCD0-EEBC-41AF-B98C-A6C396048B5F.jpeg
    4EBDBCD0-EEBC-41AF-B98C-A6C396048B5F.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 243

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That looks like a sperm plug, i hope your were very gentle when you pulled it out. It can be very painful at best and can injure them if your rough. Is he black bearding or showing other signs of discomfort?
As for constipation you can try some baby food for hydration apple sauce,prune, sweet potato ect.
What are his basking temps and type of bulbs, uvb and basking?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh i forgot to mention, if you have to remove those plugs try soaking in a warm bath for a bit to soften them up some first. But above all else be careful you can really hurt him if your noy gentle

Cheeto2021

Original Poster
His leg that’s limping looks a bit red and swollen still and his beard is black and I was very gentle removing the plugs I just removed another one but his basking temperature is Between 85°F-100°F i will try and get him some apple sauce or is apple slices okay as well?

Attachments

• CFADE929-6232-4EF3-9694-6FFBBD336B27.jpeg
    CFADE929-6232-4EF3-9694-6FFBBD336B27.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 30E402C3-FAF6-4986-B25F-6F92411A538B.jpeg
    30E402C3-FAF6-4986-B25F-6F92411A538B.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 127

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I would use unsweetened apple sauce or some of the others I mentioned.you can also mix a little none citrus fruit punch in water and use an eye dropper to get him to drink.
The poor little guy does look like he has some irritation. There is a few vet techs here. Im not sure how to tag them but they can better tell you how to help him with the irritation. Karrieree or Tracy (i forget her handle) can probably help you more

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His leg that’s limping looks a bit red and swollen still and his beard is black and I was very gentle removing the plugs I just removed another one but his basking temperature is Between 85°F-100°F i will try and get him some apple sauce or is apple slices okay as well?
I see one that is red and a little irritated - let's have ahbd take a look
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the plugs seem to be bothering him at all? For now, they look of normal size to me & really
don't need to be removed. In the wild, they wear the waxy buildup down with rubbing their legs on
rocks, or the ground, etc. Unless they get really long & protrude where they need to be removed, I
wouldn't worry about them.
The one that is red & irritated, you can use some raw honey or antibiotic ointment on it to help ward
off any infection.

Tracie

SPandS

Juvie Member
Did you remove the femoral pore or did a vet? First you said you took him to a vet to remove them then you said you removed it. Either way, as Tracie said, I wouldn't worry about them except that one that is now irritated. It has clearly hurt him and now it's an open wound that is letting bacteria enter.

Cheeto2021

Original Poster
What I removed was a sperm plug that was having trouble to come out on its own so that I removed gently but the femoral pores were removed by a vet which due to that, bacteria did get in and infected him which sadly to say has caused him to pass away today:( I know asking this won’t bring him back but this vet removed the femoral pores by squeezing them out like a pimple some of them were harder to get out and they used a needle to poke it out and some of them did bleed a bit but what would’ve been the proper after care during that situation Because I was given none specific just to soak him everyday for a few days for like 10ish minutes I’m just devastated I thought I did the right thing to help get the clogged femoral pores removed :(

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
What I removed was a sperm plug that was having trouble to come out on its own so that I removed gently but the femoral pores were removed by a vet which due to that, bacteria did get in and infected him which sadly to say has caused him to pass away today:( I know asking this won’t bring him back but this vet removed the femoral pores by squeezing them out like a pimple some of them were harder to get out and they used a needle to poke it out and some of them did bleed a bit but what would’ve been the proper after care during that situation Because I was given none specific just to soak him everyday for a few days for like 10ish minutes I’m just devastated I thought I did the right thing to help get the clogged femoral pores removed :(
Sorry for your lips.

Cheeto2021

Original Poster
I took him to get the femoral pores removed because they got extremely long

SPandS

Juvie Member
I am sorry for your loss. How long ago was he at the vet? I would call the vet and let them know what happened, it won't bring him back but maybe it will stop the vet from doing the same thing to another beardie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, that is absolutely horrible! Honestly, the vet should never have done anything like that.
There was nothing wrong with those femoral pores if they looked like that. It could have been
managed at home by putting a couple of slate tiles or a textured rock for him to have been able
to rub them down some. If they were too long, but not inflammed, they would have eventually
gotten better.
I am so sorry for your loss, that is so very sad. :cry: My heart breaks for you & for him.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Omg im so sorry to hear about your loss. It's horrible when the people who are supposed to be experts let us down. Our poor babies pays the price. It's tragic and my heart goes out to you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom