Hurt arm

Bearded0607

Beardie name(s)
Sandy
My lady, Sandy, has a hurt arm and can barely move it. No movement on the elbow and the hand looks swollen.
Any help will be really appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My lady, Sandy, has a hurt arm and can barely move it. No movement on the elbow and the hand looks swollen.
Any help will be really appreciated.
Please post pics and go over your uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - how old is the dragon? Are you using a hammock in the tank?

Bearded0607

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Please post pics and go over your uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - how old is the dragon? Are you using a hammock in the tank?
Digital thermometer and I try to keep it around 27-29 C. She has a hammock and she’s three years old.
Look at the light set up on the pictures. I’m going to need to buy a long tube to keep her warm.
Can you tell what is wrong with the arm?

Attachments

• 4DD0227E-871E-4C7B-A464-3A5A61137D6A.jpeg
    4DD0227E-871E-4C7B-A464-3A5A61137D6A.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 58
  • 0D6BB5C4-536D-4DA3-9641-950170E8B27C.jpeg
    0D6BB5C4-536D-4DA3-9641-950170E8B27C.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 58
  • 3EE33013-4ECD-4E57-ADE0-208A3E94F06C.jpeg
    3EE33013-4ECD-4E57-ADE0-208A3E94F06C.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ECDBA33A-8776-4277-95EB-4441357738BE.jpeg
    ECDBA33A-8776-4277-95EB-4441357738BE.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Digital thermometer and I try to keep it around 27-29 C. She has a hammock and she’s three years old.
Look at the light set up on the pictures. I’m going to need to buy a long tube to keep her warm.
Can you tell what is wrong with the arm?
Ok I am not sure what's going w/ the arm but I would recommend replacing the hammock I thought maybe she might of gotten her foot/ nail stuck in it but I am not sure so I am going to have our vet tech mod on here take a look and advise- what are you using for a uvb? Long tube ? I recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter for heat at night- temps should be 65-75 F at night- surface basking temps should be 95-100F taken w a digital probe thermometer- a long tube fixture like a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- these things I am posting are extremely important for the health of your dragon-
@Drache613

Bearded0607

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Ok I am not sure what's going w/ the arm but I would recommend replacing the hammock I thought maybe she might of gotten her foot/ nail stuck in it but I am not sure so I am going to have our vet tech mod on here take a look and advise- what are you using for a uvb? Long tube ? I recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter for heat at night- temps should be 65-75 F at night- surface basking temps should be 95-100F taken w a digital probe thermometer- a long tube fixture like a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- these things I am posting are extremely important for the health of your dragon-
@Drache613
Thank you very much for your help. I’m already looking into the ceramic heat emitter and Arcadia light.
Hopefully the tech can give some advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you very much for your help. I’m already looking into the ceramic heat emitter and Arcadia light.
Hopefully the tech can give some advice.
Yes she should be able to advise on what to put on it- the new uvb- will also help w/ the healing as well-- when you get it post back on here so I can help you get it placed for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where the uvb goes

Bearded0607

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Yes she should be able to advise on what to put on it- the new uvb- will also help w/ the healing as well-- when you get it post back on here so I can help you get it placed for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where the uvb goes
I don’t have a screen on top of the container. It is high so she doesn’t have a chance to climb out.
The uvb light- Is it 24 watts ?
Heat emitter- 60 watts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don’t have a screen on top of the container. It is high so she doesn’t have a chance to climb out.
The uvb light- Is it 24 watts ?
Heat emitter- 60 watts?
The UVB you want 24 watts / 12% bulb - the heat emitter wattage is hard to say - I use a 100 watt on a 120 gallon tank it keeps my tanks around 73 or so on sub zero nites - tracie didnt respond as of yet I am going to flag another person on here
@AHBD

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
I’m not currently a vet tech 25 years ago I was and not for reptiles. Given those abrasions on the arm I am not positive but I’m thinking that she MIGHT have gotten it stuck in one of the holes in the hammock maybe… for sprains such as these I don’t know what to tell you to put on there. Hopefully the vet tech will see this before to long.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, most of the time, those types of hammocks tend to cause injuries due to them getting
the caught in them & yanking the arm free.
You can make or buy a cloth one to help avoid injuries.
Are you putting anything on the area right now, like antibiotic ointment or silver gel?
Which UVB are you using right now?
Try to lower the basking area for awhile to help her so she doesn't have to climb in case she
has some pain.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Bearded0607

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Hello,

I agree, most of the time, those types of hammocks tend to cause injuries due to them getting
the caught in them & yanking the arm free.
You can make or buy a cloth one to help avoid injuries.
Are you putting anything on the area right now, like antibiotic ointment or silver gel?
Which UVB are you using right now?
Try to lower the basking area for awhile to help her so she doesn't have to climb in case she
has some pain.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Hi there,
I’m in the process of getting desert t5 light 24 w and ceramic heater.
The hammock is out for now until we get a safe one.
What kind of antibiotic cream?
What is silver gel?
Thanks

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Polysporin or original (NO pain relief) Neosporin are good topical antibiotics. It's very important to never use pain relief or itch relief formulas - only the antibiotic

Not sure what she meant by silver gel. There is an antibiotic called silver sulfadiazine cream which is also useful for burns. In the US you need a prescription to get it. There are other silver products safe for bearded dragons, medically made silver products are effective in treating infections

Polysporin is easy to get at any pharmacy so at least get something that you can get today

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom