Hugs and Tugs! (leopard geckos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Awww man!! So sorry to here!! You tried and I'm sure Tugs felt the love you were giving. RIP Tugs!

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
R.I.P Tugs i know what it feels like to lose a pet i lost my bearded dragon Deb in December 2013. and it really was so sad.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. It was pretty heartbreaking to lose him, he died in my hands. I tried my best.

Poor Hugs seem to be mourning over her lost friend so my mum brought home another leopard gecko lastnight. We named him Titan. Him and Hugs get along so well and they love snuggling together like Hugs used to do with Tugs. They are both so sweet and Hugs is actually starting to hunt her own crickets and worms now.

This is Hugs and Titan. (Hugs is the one missing her tail)

This is the handsome Titan :) He's a bit thin but I'll make sure to fatten him up!

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Titan is adorable! I'm glad they're getting along so well.

I have to say you're really making me want some geckos with these great pics. :)

Do they like to be handled?

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I find they like being handled to certain extent, not as much as a bearded dragon though.

They don't mind the handling so much but I find they really don't like to be pet like a bearded dragon. Hugs loves climbing up sweater sleeves and hiding in hoods and poking her little head out. It' so cute.

Titan is still nervous so I haven't handled him too much but the one time I did pick him up he opened his mouth really really wide like "i'm a big mean gecko" and then when he realized I wasn't going to hurt him he started the climbing and adventuring.

There eyes are very very sensitive so they don't need the UV or the basking spot, you'll need to get lots of D3 in them through supplements. (just dusting there crickets with the calcium+D3 powder) and only using UTH and moonlight bulbs for heat :)

They're much less work then a bearded dragon but definitely a great pet to have :)

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
Aww Titan is soooooooooo cute i cry just thinking about you loosing Tugs and my sister has three leopard geckos Pokey, Cupcake and Muffin. (shes 6 by the way) I am so glad that someone really cares about these animals as much as i do.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Great info, I'll be reading up on them a lot before getting one if I do get any. I'm a research before you jump kind of person. :)

One of the problems, if you want to call it a problem, with Dewey is that just feeding him I couldn't keep up with my dubia colony. I had to give several batches away. It would be nice to have other mouths to feed to keep my numbers down. Plus I'd have the supplements on hand already. :)

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes you should definitely look into it :) I research all the little guys I have nonstop. I never stop learning about them! They're so interesting and great to have. The geckos are nocturnal so they spend most of there time adventuring in the evening and into the night. If you're a night owl like me they're fun to watch! I have them on one of the shelves above my television in the living room, it's nice when I'm watching tv at night and just see them start coming out and running around :)

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
I watch my sisters leopard geckos eat at night and run around till like 12-2 AM and i have a crested gecko here he is. :D

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
What size enclosure do you have your pair in? I have an empty 40 gallon breeder, but nowhere to put it. I could probably squeeze a 20 gallon in somewhere.

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
I am not quite sure we got a 50 gallon tank and turned it over and divided it here what it looks like

the middle is empty right now the male lives in it but the female is on the bottom but there both together i think 20 gallon maybe good. here's my site if you want to check it out. :D

Some87

Leopard geckos are great pets but I would say they don't like to be handled much but each one has it's own personality. You can use a 10 gallon but it would be better to have a 20L. Too much room will stress them out and they might not even go to the hot side. All you need for heating is a under tank heater that covers 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank but heat mats are normally sold by tank size anyways. For substright the best thing to use is tile but if you want to cut prices you can just use paper towels. You can use reptile carpet but when they are smaller there nails and teeth get stuck in it and NEVER use lose substright like sand or any kind of wood shavings. As for feeders they can normally eat what ever you give to a bearded dragon other than super worms. The problem with supers is they bite but if you want to use them just squeeze the head first so they can't bite. Oh and ground temps should be 90 to 92°f. And they need a moist hide to help with shedding.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry to hear about Tugs.
I'm glad that Hugs and Titan are getting along well together.
I noticed that older leopard geckos like to be handled way more than babies. Babies are very wild and take a lot of work. Two of my three leos were purchased as babies (Nissa and Ava who are pictured in my signature). Ava was a scary cat and Nissa screamed and screamed and screamed. Nothing is creepier than hearing a leopard gecko scream at you. But now all three of mine like to come out and explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom