Huge poop :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bare with me! This will be a long thread, but it’ll tell you everything you need to know. Recently Delta has been acting odd. He poops about every 3 or 4 days, which is very unlike him. He used to go every day. Furthermore, he doesn’t go out and bask like he normally does. He stays in his log most of the time, and even falls asleep rarely.

Despite all of these factors, he’s still pretty active. He sits on his log only occasionally, but he still hunts his crickets and gets excited when I put more salad in. The base of his tail is very firm at the top, but soft on the bottom (I think that’s normal?). I feed him squash, bokchoy, zucchini, bell pepper, and of course crickets (all of which have calcium on them.) Delta is 9 months old, which brings up another question- is he small for his age? I’ll post pics of him, his poop, and his tank setup.
96772-6779916319.jpg
  • 96772-9380171890.jpg
I only use the 100w “Basking Spot Lamp”, not the one beside it. I have an exact version of the uvb, but smaller.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks good for his age, no problem with his size. As they get a little
older, they usually don't go to the bathroom quite as often as when they
were younger.
So, you are using the Reptisun 10 compact/coil UVB light for him? Which
basking light do you have, a regular 100 watt bright white light, such as
a halogen?
How is his appetite?

Tracie

Madburchell

Original Poster
Thanks for answering, read the bottom because something else has occurred and I’m very scared. his appetite is great and yes, I’m using the 10 UVB you were talkin about. I’m also using the 100w repti basking heat lamp pictured in the first post.

Here’s what I’m worried about now. I just got home from my soccer game, and I see an all black poop that doesn’t look good at all. It’s sort of pasty and squishy. I’m planning on calling the vet tomorrow, here’s a pic. He was also asleep in his log when I got home.
96772-2398482706.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like maybe an upset stomach. There are many factors that can cause this and sometimes even just a meal of crickets will do it. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it doesn't continue to look messy like that for more than a couple of weeks. Similar messy poops have happened before and I'm guessing they cleared up? I also want to verify that you aren't using the UVB light that came in the box from the photo.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
they can do humungous poos as adults , especially if they've a habit of saving it up for a week or two …. 30g to 40 g poos are possible ….

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":tvwuki8g said:
That looks like maybe an upset stomach. There are many factors that can cause this and sometimes even just a meal of crickets will do it. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it doesn't continue to look messy like that for more than a couple of weeks. Similar messy poops have happened before and I'm guessing they cleared up? I also want to verify that you aren't using the UVB light that came in the box from the photo.

The consistency of his poo is due to being fed "bites" …. ie it's dietary …. more live insects and fresh greens will sort this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom