How to install fixtures in custom enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Any advice? I haven't done this before.

Here are some images so you can see what I'm dealing with here. I bought a custom enclosure, but the fixtures weren't installed.

The enclosure.
4vqZOTe.jpg

Heat fixture with the wires that it came with.
Kht57bR.jpg

cps7XoD.jpg

sGDF8kL.jpg

UVB fixture and the wires/clamps that it came with.
Nf93n6Q.jpg

The guy told me just to connect the wire ends as seen in the image and then simply drill the fixture into the enclosure wherever I want them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For the socket I would maybe mount that to a block and run the wires out the side of the block. Then mount the block to the ceiling off to one side. Then run the wires along the top of the tank and out the back.

Is the UVB fixture a T5 or a T8? I would use a T5 in that tank (and use a reflector as well). Those are pretty easy as you can drill the clips into the top (or use blocks to mount it if the top is too thin to hold screws) and then clip the fixture in. Run the wires out the hole in the back that you drilled for the other fixture. You could mount it at an angle so more of the bulb is closer to the basking site. A lot of this is personal preference and aesthetics though.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I went to Home Depot and bought a different fixture with a ceiling pan. Here is a picture testing it, hopefully this is safe?

AauAL2m.jpg

6iJTipP.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think it will be very wise to call in a local sparkie to do an electrical / fire safety inspection on the fitting and the wiring , especially if you are NOT a licenced electrician yourself. The fee will be worth it as it can very likely save your life (avoid a house fire or electrocution).

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Those fixtures are very simple to wire and install. As long as you get the "hot" wire in the right and there are no wires touching each other or exposed, you are 100% fine. You will need to read the directions for placement of the hot wire. I wired my own, and have done it several times in the past for other projects.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
black wire is hot, white is neutral, green is ground. i wouldn't use any fixtures with out a grounding plane and id also recommend using some type of reflective coating on any wood you screw the lights to, A. the thermal energy will be reflected into the tank to keep things warmer and B it will aid in preventing the wood from getting hot and drying out/starting on fire. i recessed the lights into the top of my tank because i covered the walls with carpet so my beardie could climb around at will and she would get too close to the lights otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom