How to Gently Correct Bad Husbandry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I’m a fourth grade teacher, and recently added a leopard gecko to my classroom, donated by a good breeder. Soon after, a teacher friend followed my lead - only she got a young beardie.

I adore my friend. And she means very well, and she does love the little guy - but her husbandry is not great, and I don’t know what to do. She’s got the little guy, about 8-9” long, in a mostly bare 20L. Substrate is paper towels, which is ok. Her UV is a coil mounted on top of the screen. I’ve spoken to her about the right bulb to get, and about the right size tank… at first I hinted (“I’d have LOVED to bring my dragon into school, but WHERE would I fit a four foot long hab?”) and sent her links to online feeder suppliers and good care sheets. I recently got her to upgrade her daughter’s adult beardie to a 40BR, after they commented on how much bigger and brighter my boy is in his Zen… but for some reason, she’s relying on an outdated book for care advice in the classroom.

I’m most worried about the UV. Her feeding is okay, though I don’t know if she’s supplementing the crickets and mealworms. I’ve spoken to her about MBD, and Arcadia bulbs… and she keeps SAYING that she’ll get it. But she doesn’t.

Any suggestions on how I can get her on the right path without destroying our friendship?

What subject does she teach? If science is a part of her curriculum you could suggest making it a research project for her students--but it should include digital citizenship and good research practices so she doesn't solely rely on the outdated book. She might learn something as her students do, or they might even begin to suggest things to her as well. That sounds a little best-scenario though, so maybe instead you could find a bearded dragon rescue story online and show it to her, then tut and shake your head and say things like "Can you believe they were keeping it under their bed with barely any lighting? That poor thing! I'm so glad it's in better hands now." But don't mention her care practices at all, just lament with her about what this other person was doing with their beardie. Sometimes it's easier to see what others are doing wrong, you know? That's about all I can think of, but I wish you luck!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What subject does she teach? If science is a part of her curriculum you could suggest making it a research project for her students--but it should include digital citizenship and good research practices so she doesn't solely rely on the outdated book. She might learn something as her students do, or they might even begin to suggest things to her as well. That sounds a little best-scenario though, so maybe instead you could find a bearded dragon rescue story online and show it to her, then tut and shake your head and say things like "Can you believe they were keeping it under their bed with barely any lighting? That poor thing! I'm so glad it's in better hands now." But don't mention her care practices at all, just lament with her about what this other person was doing with their beardie. Sometimes it's easier to see what others are doing wrong, you know? That's about all I can think of, but I wish you luck!
She teaches our gifted & talented program… I’ll definitely suggest the research project, maybe sharing the book I WANT A BEARDED DRAGON, which was written by a third grader with adult assistant. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom