How soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessP

How soon after the male mounts the female will I be able to tell if she is gravid or not. Does it take long for her to start showing that she has eggs?

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
I've had 2 gravid females, one 4 yrs ago & one who's laying her 3rd clutch as we speak. With Bo, the 1st, I cud tell she was gravid about a week to 10 days b4 laying. With Miss Fatty, who's laying now, I didn't no at all until she started digging which was a few days b4 she started laying. They carry the eggs roughly for a month from mating to laying. With both of my dragons it was more like 5 weeks. Start looking & feeling 4 lumps in the belly about 2 weeks after mating -- u may or may not c signs then or it cud take another week or 2.

princessP

Original Poster
Ok thank you. Reason I'm asking is. I put my male in her cage. And the next day her attach was fat and thick and very round.. so I didn't know if it was to soon to tell.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Haha! Don't u just luv that automatic spell checker thing that substitutes the wrong word if uve misspelled sumthing! Lol But not sure if u mean u put the male in for one day, or did u put him in & leave him in for awhile w/ her. From the way it sounds, he was in w/ her one day & the very next day she looked to b possibly gravid. If that's what u mean, there's no way she'd b "showing" in just one day after mating! Both Bo & Fatty dint look gravid until almost time to lay, & even then I wasn't sure until they started their digging behavior. How old r ur dragons?

princessP

Original Poster
They are 18 monthes. And I've been putting my male in with the female for 24 hr on and 24 hours off for two week. And I just have noticed her beening thicker and fuller.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Oh yes! I remember u now! Sorry...I answer so many sumtimes I get a brain fart & can't remember who I've talked to! U were asking earlier about them mating & I recommended waiting till they were 2 yrs old. So uve still been trying? Have they actually accomplished the deed or is he still just kinda playing around & not consummated things yet? Did u actually see them mate? Reason I'm asking is so u'll no whether to actually expect eggs or not. If mating wasn't accomplished, she may not b gravid. U sed she was getting thicker & heavier which r definite signs so they may have. If u DID witness it, do u no the date so u can tell when she'll b ready to lay? It's approx a month from mating to laying, altho w/ both Bo 4 yrs ago & Fatty with all 3 clutches it was 5 weeks not 4. Poor Fatty is on her 3rd clutch now. She's lay between 1-3 eggs EVERY DAY since July 4 and this is her 9TH DAY OF CONTINUOUS LAYING!! I had no idea it cud go on that long but Lord-a-mighty! This is ridiculous! I'm calling her Twiggy now cuz she's not eaten in days (except crickets) & her skull, tail bone & spine r all sticking out. She's really emaciated & I'm worried sick about her. If she'd just stop laying!! Anyway, if u have mated ur female and she is only 18 months, u need to make sure while she's gravid she eats all she wants & give her multi-vitamins & supplents to help her along the way. It's not unheard of for them to lay at that age but is just recommended u wait till they're 2. I'm NOT comin down on u or fussing or anything -- don't get me wrong!! I just wanna help u out as much as possible if I can to get thru an already stressful time! Good luck w/ her. Keep watching her. If he's been going in her cage 4 up to 2 weeks, she cud possibly b up to 2 weeks gravid (they lay about 4-5 weeks after mating) so just keep a close eye to c if she continues to grow & lumps start to appear. If u determine she is DEFINITELY gravid, stop putting the male in with her. Sumtimes they want their privacy & don't appreciate males bein around! Kinda like us girls -- when I was pregnant the last thing I wanted to c was my husband hovering over me!!! Keep us/me informed & I'll try to help u thru it as much as I can! Good luck!!

princessP

Original Poster
Lol.. thank you so much.. what should I do to get her bury box ready what should I use and what are the steps you take? Do I put it in her 75 gal tank with her. And if so what side of the tank?

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
The way I've always dun it is this: u need to make a "nest box" where she can lay her eggs. U won't need it until she starts glass-dancing, running around frantically, constantly digging & just acting crazy In general. When all these things happen, at the same time, u no its time to fix her nest & she's about ready to lay. I make my nest box out of another glass aquarium I have, I think it's a 20-gal, but u can use anything that's big enuff 4 her to stay in hours at the time. Don't make a small nest & put it in the side of her cage b/c she will keep running in & out of it & throwing the dirt in the nest into her cage substrate, and even possibly laying her eggs outside of the nest in the cage so u don't want that. If u don't have another glass aquarium, u can find or make a box out of something as long as its sturdy enuff for her to stay in for awhile. Buy a bag of plain potting soil which is really just soft dirt, and a bag of vermiculite from Lowes or a nursery (flower center). Ur gonna mix some of the potting soil and vermiculite together to put in her next box. Whatever size box u have wl determine how much u use, but u want about 3 parts potting soil and 1 part vermiculite. Also add water to the mix. U want it just moist enuff that it'll stick together & not fall apart, but u don't want it wet. If u can hold it together in ur hand & make a ball of it & uve got water running out of it or if u squeeze it & water drips out, it's too wet so add sum more potting soil to soak up the excess water. Mix enuff together that u have the nesting box filled to about 8" minimum. It needs to b deep enuff for them to dig down in & make a hole that they'll lay those eggs in. In my 20-gal aquarium for instance I had it filled about 3/4 or so to the top. Yes she threw dirt everywhere but that's just what they do. If ur fortunate enuff to have a much larger box, u still want it deep enuff for her to satisfy those digging behaviors b/c that's all she'll do for days is dig, dig, dig & dig sum more. They usually won't eat during this time so u hafta make sure she stays hydrated -- give her warm baths so she can drink & still feed her -- I no both my dragons refused their greens but wud still eat crickets so just make sure she's got plenty of them, dusting them too so she'll still b getting her vitamins. After what u will think is an eternity of digging (mine dug for 6-1/2 days straight!), they'll finally be satisfied with what they've dug out & get down to the business of laying their eggs. Since its ur girls first time and she is very young, she may lay several eggs that r infertile, and some that r fertile. She may just lay one clutch, or several. Miss fatty, who I'm now calling Twiggy cuz she's so skinny after 11 straight days of laying, has lay 3 clutches of eggs that came 5 weeks apart. So u have ur eggs and in 3-4 weeks she starts digging & goin crazy again, u no she's gonna lay another clutch so u gotta make her another nest site. But my other female, Bo, only lay one clutch & never did lay any more so it just depends on the individual dragon on how many they're gonna lay. From what uve sed b4, u still have plenty of time. If they've only been together for a max of 2 weeks, it'll b at least 2 more weeks, maybe 3-4, b4 u need to worry about a nest. Just watch her & when she goes crazy digging, etc, it's time to get started. I'd recommend reading the CARE SHEETS on this website (and other good ones as well -- u can google it & find tons of info on it), but read up on it and also the incubation of the eggs. If u don't have a store-bought incubator, u can make one. I've got a homemade one but they're not that expensive (around $40-50 for a decent one) & I think it wud b well worth it to have. If u make one u can't control the temp & humidity as well & it's easier to get ur eggs all the way thru w/ a proper incubator rather than a homemade one. It can b done of course, but it's just easier if u buy one. Next time I'm definitely investing in one as we've had temps up to 107F here for 2 weeks & is hard to keep eggs in the mid 80's when it's that hot outside. I've had a hard time w/ it & have lost sum eggs as a result so if u can buy one, do. Good luck & let me know if there's anything else I can help u with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom