how old does a beardie have to be in order to breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbus

As someone sitting back and reading this thread - there's been a misunderstanding here, and hopefully I can help clarify?

No one said that beardies should be bred at 6 months. Here's what the original poster asked:

I just want to know because I have two beardies but do not plan on having any young beardies.
mine are almost a year old now.
And subsequent post...
thanks I have no intent on breeding

The poster does not plan on breeding, but is asking how old they might be to start breeding. Sounds to me like they may have opposite sex beardies in one enclosure (they were unsure of the sexes), and are concerned they might start going at it. WestCoast correctly pointed out that it could happen as young as 6 months. Yes, there are health risks associated with breeding at that age, and the beardies could try at that early age - putting your beardies at risk.

Take home message: If you have beardies that are under a year old, and you don't want them to breed - separate them into different enclosures (good idea whether they are opposite sex or same sex, anyways). They could potentially breed at that age - don't put your beardies at risk.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
At no point did WC say they should be bred at 6 months. He did state they can breed at 6 months. Which is true. Males start going hormonal at that point. I took all WC's posts as informational.

Now to go out on a limb here, if the OP has dragons housed together getting closer to 6 months of age they now know time has run out and its time for separate enclosures.

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I completly understand what you were both saying but stop arguing please.
I just wanted to know so that my female wouldn't be seriously injured, and I wouldn'thave so many mouths to feed

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's too bad this this thread ended up in arguments and ridicule. Unfortunately, I'll bet this OP will think twice about asking questions again. This forum is here to inform and answer members questions. There is a wealth of information here and we don't want anyone to be too scared to ask questions. I suggest the deep discussion of the age of 6 mo be dropped. We've all heard enough. This OP asked a few other questions that were not covered. If anyone would like to help and can do it in a polite manner, please continue. Here are the unanswered questions that need addressing and the OP deserves a nice response.
dragonjim":2pehkoa8 said:
In addition I want to know what season or how often will they breed

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there!

Seasons don't really matter too much from what I've seen with my dragons. However, if your dragons go into brumation, once they wake they will be very hormonal and will want to breed.

How often they breed- the females only once per season, but the males can impregnate quite a few females.
EDIT: Just some clarification on the above, while females most likely will only mate once in the season, they are capable of having multiple clutches from just one breeding session.

-Brandon

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for that response Brandon, I'm sure the OP will be appreciative.

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2pprq4lm said:
Hi there!

Seasons don't really matter too much from what I've seen with my dragons. However, if your dragons go into brumation, once they wake they will be very hormonal and will want to breed.

How often they breed- the females only once per season, but the males can impregnate quite a few females.
EDIT: Just some clarification on the above, while females most likely will only mate once in the season, they are capable of having multiple clutches from just one breeding session.

-Brandon

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom