How old do you think he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
I have had Harry for a little over a month now and the people I got him from told me he was 18 months old, but I think he may be older. He is 1 ft. 5 inches long. Here is his pic or 2.
0704121057.jpg

DSC03481.jpg

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here are the pics you asked for. I want to add a platform for him for a bedroom and I was told the light was a good one, but that was by the people that gave him to me.
DSC03657.jpg

DSC03655.jpg

DSC03656.jpg

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Yea see they gave u a good basking bulb but u need a UVB so u need a reptisun 10.0 flourscent tube and it will have to be mounted inside also sand as substrate is a no no paper towel newspaper repticarpet tile are better u should also be giving fresh veggies u can check out beautifuldragons.com for good veggies and u should be dusting his bugs once a day 5x a week with calcium d3 and 2x with vitamins

imp1979

The solar glo bulb he has emits uvb rays. And playsand from home depot is fine for beardies as long as you don't feed him/her on it.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't listen to imp u can ask 90% of the people On here And they will say what I just said then u got newbies like imp who think they know everything

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Agreed that you need a separate UVB light, you can buy a Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube at petmountain.com and get a fixture for it at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc :D

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
WOWOWOWOW WOW! your dragons is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im in awe ... what a healthy gorgeous looking beardie!!!!
sounds like he about 17 inches? I think that is perfectly healthy and good length for an adult beardie, some of course get longer, an some stay a bit shorter.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
K ya what I said up there about him being only 12.5 inchs and small no he's normal size At 17 inchs I though u meant 1ft and .5 inchs and ya he's probably a year but what I told u about the UVB and substrate that is right and those need to be fixed

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
about the substrate ...
i would switch to tile ... but thats just me as well ... i'm a firm believer in solid substrate, that way you can just whisk SO many worries out the window (impaction, respiratory problems, sanitary reasons, no grains of sands in the eyes, infection, etc)
tile, it looks amazing and is SOOOOO easy to clean!!! just wipe down an your done.
sand will soak in the poop water an urate waters that come out in a poop, and it tends to keep it trapped down in the grains and is a haven for harboring icky bacteria.
I got my tile cut at Lowes a long time ago, they are really easy to work with, and the tile will last you forever! not trying to push it on you, but its a lifesaver for me and many other people.
check this out:
my beardie had sand in her viv for the first 3 months of her life. that was over a year ago. when i made the switch over, i emptied as much sand as i could, then vacuumed that rest. to this day i STILL have large amounts of sand in my vaccuum filter when i clean it out. CRAZY! so it DEF sticks around.
people do have different opinions on play sand versus calci-sand or dessert-sand ... supposedly play sand is much safer, and some people have one small area, like a a box of play sand in their beardies viv in case they want to dig or play in it.
some people do house adult beardies on a viv full of play sand so im not trying to make you feel like you are the only one! what it comes down to is matter of knowledge and judgement and how you view the pros and cons. Its your call, and Harry is your BEAUTIFUL beardie!!!
totally up to you, just something to think about, the benefits to solid substrate are endless!!! :)
~Emily

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Here are the links for the UVB bulbs mentioned above, that you would want to go with -

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/
more specifically this one - http://lightyourreptiles.com/ard3rela18fa.html
that is a standard 18 inch, you can go up in inches from there (24, 36, 48)
this is the Arcadia bulb that is finally availble in the USA, and the one i am currently using, im very happy with it! LOVE IT!

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...42-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html
that is a direct link to the ReptiSun 10.0 another great bulb that is highly recommend, like others have posted you should use one here. again they start at 18 inches and go up (24, 36, 48)

I used to use the Repti-Sun 10.0 ... and i like it, but when Arcadia became available i thought well why not try it?! and i really like it :)
They are both wonderful bulbs. I think i might stick with Arcadia, but would never ever hesitate to use a ReptiSun ever! have used them before, and i have one as back up, ready for use in case my Arcadia goes out. ha! always be prepare :)
~Emily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom