How often do your subadults eat?

Krissy_p

Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Ours is just over 12 months old. He’s been sick with parasites (being treated). We just adopted him a few weeks ago and his appetite seems to come in waves. I know some of it is due to the parasites he came home with, but now that’s he’s been on treatments for them I’m wondering if his eating habits are more or less normal.

Do your adults eat everyday? He is getting dubias (and a few superworms, but more dubias- all dusted with calcium and the weekly multivitamin) 3x a week. He’s offered greens everyday, but he does not eat them everyday. Some days he doesn’t bother with them at all. And some days he will literally just eat a few pieces. Then other days he’s munching down, especially if I hand feed.

Today is one of the “I’m not interested” in food days. But I bet if I put dubias out he would eat them 🤦🏻‍♀️😂. I guess I’m wondering if this is normal for his age? Or if he’s still perhaps recovering from having parasites.

Any insight is appreciated as I want to make sure he’s not starving.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Until they are full size they should eat every day. The meds for parasites really mess with their appetite though, it may take a little while for him to get to normal. You can try giving him some none dairy probiotic yogurt to help his gut flora to recover. Once he reaches full size and is filling out instead of putting on size you can scale the protein back.

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Until they are full size they should eat every day. The meds for parasites really mess with their appetite though, it may take a little while for him to get to normal. You can try giving him some none dairy probiotic yogurt to help his gut flora to recover. Once he reaches full size and is filling out instead of putting on size you can scale the protein back.
Thank you! He is finally free of coccidia, but he’s on a weekly dose of two different other medications for another 4 weeks 😞 I’m hoping it doesn’t last too long. If he’s uninterested in greens, do you think I should allow daily insects while he’s recovering so that he’s at least eating something?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It really depends on what size they are, some of them will slow down on the eating, it's not that just one day you change up the diet. It's fine for him to do what he's doing as long as he's a good size+ weight and the days with no bugs gives him the opportunity to learn that greens are a good thing if Mr. John McCane is hungry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At 12 months, he has probably slown down some on his eating, simply because he isn't growing
like when he was younger. Though, he will still grow in length & fill out more into his second year.
Most of the time, I recommend 40-50 insects weekly for adults, depending on their weight & activity
level since it does vary from dragon to dragon.
It is very hard getting them to eat their greens regularly, but keep trying. Offer different ones & mix
bright colored bell pepper or squash into it to see if that helps out.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom