How often do you Replace UVB Bulbs? I hear Conflicting Answ

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
How often do you Replace UVB Bulbs?

I hear Conflicting Answers.

A Few Told Me Every 6 Months.

But after Installing a New Zoo Med Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB Bulb I noticed a Box and Next to the Box it said to Date the Bulb and Replace it One Year after You Start Using it.

So is it 6 Months, 1 Year, another Time Frame?

I wish everyone could just agree on stuff like this as it would make it a lot easier.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The information is always conflicting it seems.
While it is true that the UVB output will last for one year, but will diminish slowly. You could invest in a UVB meter to test the readings. You can also move the light a litter closer after the 6 month time frame too but not too close for safety.
We normally recommend changing the light out after 6 or so months to ensure the strength of the bulb.

Tracie

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Without taking actual solarmeter readings of your bulbs output there's no way to know for sure when to replace your bulb.

But to err on the safe side most will recommend changing a T8 bulb every 6 months and a T5 bulb every year.

You'll find it difficult to get EVERYONE to agree on ANYTHING when it comes to the complex nature of these creatures.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it's difficult to say for sure without taking solarmeter readings. The consensus is that they do lose output over time. This may happen at different rates with different bulbs. 6mo for the T8 and 12mo for the T5 or MVB is a good rule of thumb that errs on the cautious side. I figure it's better to replace it too early than too late. After taking solarmeter readings from a T8 reptisun 10.0 and a T5 arcadia I highly recommend using a T5. There is a huge difference in output from what I've seen so far. The T8 I measured was much weaker than I expected (after about a month of service).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Very good info Cooper and I totally agree. One thing that I wanted to add is that the UVB output is affected by the fixture that is used too as the cheap fixtures don't allow the bulb to put out as much UVB as a real good fixture would. That's why I usually don't suggest using a Walmart type fixture.

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":26w5sib5 said:
I agree that it's difficult to say for sure without taking solarmeter readings. The consensus is that they do lose output over time. This may happen at different rates with different bulbs. 6mo for the T8 and 12mo for the T5 or MVB is a good rule of thumb that errs on the cautious side. I figure it's better to replace it too early than too late. After taking solarmeter readings from a T8 reptisun 10.0 and a T5 arcadia I highly recommend using a T5. There is a huge difference in output from what I've seen so far. The T8 I measured was much weaker than I expected (after about a month of service).

Has anybody Tried the Zoo Med Repti-Sun T5 HO Bulb?

I wanted to get that Fixture but since it was new and I saw no Reviews on it I was worried so I got a T8 Fixture.

Now I am Regretting it.

How much more UVB Does the T5 HO put out vs. the T8 Bulbs that we are used too?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The T5 is double to triple the output of the T8 - personally I live the T5 and recommend them over the T8 for most situations. They are also visually brighter. My T5 without reflector has a UVI of 6 at the basking area. My T8 had a UVI of about 2.

I think this is the thread that discussed it recently, if not I'm sure cooperdragon and/or wolfeden have some reading comparisons somewhere. :) : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=210635

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":3qhvq3hg said:
The T5 is double to triple the output of the T8 - personally I live the T5 and recommend them over the T8 for most situations. They are also visually brighter. My T5 without reflector has a UVI of 6 at the basking area. My T8 had a UVI of about 2.

I think this is the thread that discussed it recently, if not I'm sure cooperdragon and/or wolfeden have some reading comparisons somewhere. :) : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=210635

So

Brighter
More UVB

Do you agree with the Others that the Bulbs last 1 Year instead of Six Months? This would also save you Money.

Seems to be a "No Brainer"

But what do you mean by saying T5 is better in Most situations?

If all this is true I would think T5 is the best way to go hands down.

How long have you guys all been using the T5's?

Do you just use One Bulb or do you use more than One Bulb?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've been using the T5 since... July I think - I can't speak personally to its longevity yet. Another user has seen his last well past 12 months - but you need a meter to determine when it's no longer useful.

The T5 are much stronger so it's a strength and a weakness - with the reptisun hood you want to keep a safe distance of 10-12". For shorter cages this won't work - I don't have that kind of space to my basking rock so I don't use a reflector. You can adjust a few things, by using a 5.0/6% bulb or by not using a reflector - but otherwise a 10.0/12% would be hazardous if used too close. Wild dragons can see very high (UVI 14+) but not all day. We need to balance the "dose" by considering duration of exposure and intensity. Since the intensity is greater you want to be more mindful about providing light and shade - that's more challenging in smaller tanks - but it's also easy to use a shorter bulb. T5 should be 1/3-1/2 the tank long - T8 can span the whole tank.

My setup is a 4x2x2 - I have four bulbs
1 36" T8 5500k for light and small UVA (whole tank)
1 22" T5 6000k for light and small UVA (cool side)
1 22" T5 for UVB and some UVA (warm side)
1 halogen for heat and some UVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom