How not to overfeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Hi! I have a bearded dragon who is 3 month old (13 weeks) and he eats around 9 roaches and 15 crickets a day. I just got him and I was thinking how am I not meant to overfeed him and how am I meant to know how much is enough for him? And I live in Adelaide Australia and I try to buy him feeder insects online like hornworms and phoenix worms but they are really hard to find specially ones that ship to Australia?!

Salad!
He doesn’t really eat much salads and he only ate blueberry juice once and that’s it and I’m trying to not feed it fruit much because of the sugar that it contains! So I was thinking of putting worms in his salad but I currently don’t have any, I do have mealworms but I’m not risking it!

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
so with my beardie she has maintained perfect weight her whole life which i was quite shocked on but i fed her 5 crickets and 6 waxworms a day and yes ik waxworms are basically twinkies for them but it worked out nicely so i would say to do 5 crickets in the morning and 6 waxworms at 2-3 ish O'clock can i see a picture of him to see how big or small he is?

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so with my beardie she has maintained perfect weight her whole life which i was quite shocked on but i fed her 5 crickets and 6 waxworms a day and yes ik waxworms are basically twinkies for them but it worked out nicely so i would say to do 5 crickets in the morning and 6 waxworms at 2-3 ish O'clock can i see a picture of him to see how big or small he is?
Yea sure he is eating around 15 crickets and 9 roaches and some salad a day and I did order him some Phoenix worms

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 107

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
he looks normal for a baby does he eat salad? also try to gradually take food away especially if you think hes getting fat but honestly to me he looks perfect

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He doesn’t really eat salad much and I have ordered some worms to try and get him to eat his salad. I’m kind trying to get his weigh up to 30-40 grams at the moment he is about 26 grams

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I fed my dragons (when hey were 1 month to 7 months old) all the bugs they could eat in a 10 minute period and the grew big and strong. Charlie ate 40 to 50 nymph dubia roaches a day till he was 6 months old. He also ate his greens during this time as well. I was beginning to think that he had a tape worm, lol!!!

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Remember that juvenile beardies eat 3-4 times more protein than salad. They grow so much their first six months that it's really hard to overfeed them, IMO. Once they are a year old or so, they should eat 3-4 times more salad than protein. I think that's usually when you see beardies with weight problems. As long as your beardie's behavior is fine and he poops regularly, whatever that is for him, he is fine with eating whatever you give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom