How much to feed

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello! I just wanted some advice on how much and how often to feed my little man, and how much, so at the moment I feed him salads daily and 40-45 3/4 inch dubia roaches, i believe he’s about 9-10 months old I know I’ve been say that for like 2 months on here but I’m just so confused I got him from a petsmart so I kind of have to guess, I believe he was about 4 inches maybe 5 when I first got him, and he’s now 18.5 inches, and I got him back in august so 7 months ago, but every thing I see on google is 25-50 half inch at 3-9 months old then it will say will say only 4-5 1 inch dubias a day or a couple times a week 9+ months old, and that would be in my little mans age range but I feel like he would rip my head off if I only gave him that little, so what do you guys think I should do, I will be getting in 1 inch dubias from now on tho, because I realized that would be the right size for him, also hers some pictures of him today for size reference

Attachments

• D83EEB3F-5D66-4D9B-880D-7AB532122BA9.jpeg
    D83EEB3F-5D66-4D9B-880D-7AB532122BA9.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 790700B8-8086-4AAF-8364-D636171830E1.jpeg
    790700B8-8086-4AAF-8364-D636171830E1.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I just wanted some advice on how much and how often to feed my little man, and how much, so at the moment I feed him salads daily and 40-45 3/4 inch dubia roaches, i believe he’s about 9-10 months old I know I’ve been say that for like 2 months on here but I’m just so confused I got him from a petsmart so I kind of have to guess, I believe he was about 4 inches maybe 5 when I first got him, and he’s now 18.5 inches, and I got him back in august so 7 months ago, but every thing I see on google is 25-50 half inch at 3-9 months old then it will say will say only 4-5 1 inch dubias a day or a couple times a week 9+ months old, and that would be in my little mans age range but I feel like he would rip my head off if I only gave him that little, so what do you guys think I should do, I will be getting in 1 inch dubias from now on tho, because I realized that would be the right size for him, also hers some pictures of him today for size reference
I would say to start feeding large dubias - he should eat around 5-6 of those maybe -- feed him one at a time and see how many he will eat --- fresh salads everyday -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated Nutrition Content are you dusting the insect w/ calcium D3? and a vitamin w/ beta carotene?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He still has a little growing to do, keep giving him protein until he stop putting on size and starts filling out. He can only reach his full potential size if he has a good diet. Once he starts filling out you can cut back the protein.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I would say to start feeding large dubias - he should eat around 5-6 of those maybe -- feed him one at a time and see how many he will eat --- fresh salads everyday -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated Nutrition Content are you dusting the insect w/ calcium D3? and a vitamin w/ beta carotene?
I’ve been feeding calcium with d3 three days out of the week sometimes on his bugs and sometimes on his salads, and I give him bee pollen on most of his salads since he really likes it, what other supplements and stuff should I give him, if you don’t mind giving me the names of the ones you use and how often and how I should be giving them?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve been feeding calcium with d3 three days out of the week sometimes on his bugs and sometimes on his salads, and I give him bee pollen on most of his salads since he really likes it, what other supplements and stuff should I give him, if you don’t mind giving me the names of the ones you use and how often and how I should be giving them?
He needs the D3 5 x per week one time per feeding / day lightly coated on the insects -- I use Repti calcium w/ D3 and Rep Cal calcium w/ no D3 no phosph and Jurasivite vitamins w/ beta carotene - does your dragon eat salads good? Feed the vitamins 2 x per week one time per feeding / day lightly coated-- He needs the vitamins and D3 up till hes a year old then that will change - what kind of UVB are you using- this is going to determine the frequency of the calcium

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He needs the D3 5 x per week one time per feeding / day lightly coated on the insects -- I use Repti calcium w/ D3 and Rep Cal calcium w/ no D3 no phosph and Jurasivite vitamins w/ beta carotene - does your dragon eat salads good? Feed the vitamins 2 x per week one time per feeding / day lightly coated-- He needs the vitamins and D3 up till hes a year old then that will change - what kind of UVB are you using- this is going to determine the frequency of the calcium
He’s very good at eating salads he either eats them right away or finishes them throughout the day and this is the uvb I have

Attachments

• 1EEA03A6-2365-4B3D-A8BF-24F3B4A984A6.jpg
    1EEA03A6-2365-4B3D-A8BF-24F3B4A984A6.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 39

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 you will need to feed the D 3 more often- they are not as strong on uvb rays as the T 5 - 3-4 times per week- the bulb needs to be changed out every 5 months - is the uvb in the tank?

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The T 8 you will need to feed the D 3 more often- they are not as strong on uvb rays as the T 5 - 3-4 times per week- the bulb needs to be changed out every 5 months - is the uvb in the tank?
No it’s on the top and it’s a metal grate and I know it’s better to have inside but I plan on doing that when I have a bigger cage but from what I read the metal won’t absorb the uvb rays and the grate is quite spaced out so hopefully it doesn’t make to much of a difference.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
No it’s on the top and it’s a metal grate and I know it’s better to have inside but I plan on doing that when I have a bigger cage but from what I read the metal won’t absorb the uvb rays and the grate is quite spaced out so hopefully it doesn’t make to much of a difference. Edit not sure why it posed this twice

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's not a matter of being absorbed, screens,grates ect actually block some percentage outright. Glass and plastic blocks it 100%.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it’s on the top and it’s a metal grate and I know it’s better to have inside but I plan on doing that when I have a bigger cage but from what I read the metal won’t absorb the uvb rays and the grate is quite spaced out so hopefully it doesn’t make to much of a difference. Edit not sure why it posed this twice
Please get it moved inside - T 8 's are not strong enough to go thru screen - the distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - your dragon is not getting enough uvb and will develop mbd and other health issues- can't stress this enough

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please get it moved inside - T 8 's are not strong enough to go thru screen - the distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - your dragon is not getting enough uvb and will develop mbd and other health issues- can't stress this enough
Ok I’ll try to get it set up like that tonight when I get home from work, it is 6 inches away so I’ll just move his setup around a bit to get him further away when it’s inside

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom