How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitlynp

Hello! I rescued a beardie about a month ago and he is my first one. He’s still in the terrarium from his original owner until I can buy a new one, but he has T5 UV light, a basking spot, and a ceramic bulb for at night and when needed during the day. I give him collards every day, and mix in different varieties of kale, carrots, berries, and squash each day. He typically eats most of what I give him throughout the day. He is fed some type of worm every other day, which I add calcium and D3 to, and he immediately gobbles those down. Because he is so small and malnourished, I feel bad limiting his food intake but I also don’t want to over feed him. Any advice on this?

I added a picture of him basking. Don’t mind his black beard, he’s had a lot of changes and is currently shedding so I’m hoping that’s why it’s there. He’s got a vet appointment in about a month to do blood work and a stool sample.

Attachments

• 5AC9239E-E9D3-447A-9B59-F3E33ADE2EE4.jpeg
    5AC9239E-E9D3-447A-9B59-F3E33ADE2EE4.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 105
  • E3783F13-6C5D-4ADA-B323-D70E3050EDD6.jpeg
    E3783F13-6C5D-4ADA-B323-D70E3050EDD6.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 75
Hello! I rescued a beardie about a month ago and he is my first one. He’s still in the terrarium from his original owner until I can buy a new one, but he has T5 UV light, a basking spot, and a ceramic bulb for at night and when needed during the day. I give him collards every day, and mix in different varieties of kale, carrots, berries, and squash each day. He typically eats most of what I give him throughout the day. He is fed some type of worm every other day, which I add calcium and D3 to, and he immediately gobbles those down. Because he is so small and malnourished, I feel bad limiting his food intake but I also don’t want to over feed him. Any advice on this?

I added a picture of him basking. Don’t mind his black beard, he’s had a lot of changes and is currently shedding so I’m hoping that’s why it’s there. He’s got a vet appointment in about a month to do blood work and a stool sample.
How many times a day do you feed ? I heard most older beardies can usually stop when they get full, yet I am new so don’t rely on me, would continue doing what you do for now.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
do you know how old he is and how much he weighs? it is awesome he eats salads so well. the bugs kind of depend on age. as they grow older they need less protein. you mentioned calcium, are you giving any vitamins?

for reference: our guy is almost 2 and weighs about 475 grams. he has salads daily, which he either eats or he doesn't. up to him. those get fed to the roaches at the end of the day if he doesn't finish them. he gets roaches 3 times a week, as many as he feels like eating. they are large so he eats between 3-5 on those days. worms he gets on occasion because they are more of a treat than a staple feeder. he refuses to eat anything dusted, so he gets liquid calcium 3x a week and liquid vitamins 1x a week.

when he was a baby though he would eat between 60-100 bugs a day and we just let him eat until he stopped, 2x a day. SPENDY! but definitely worth it as we took him in as an emaciated 11 grams at 6 months old rescue.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

He needs a staple feeder -- crickets -- dubia roaches-- BSFL -- or silkworms-- did I help you get your UVB set up? I would add some different greens to his diet like collards turnip greens or mustard - when you get your staple feeder please start dusting those - I would feed him 2-3 times per week of the insects --
www.dubiaroaches.com great place for roaches --horn worms -- they have super worms but I like the ones from here better Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms they will come in a tube so you will need to get the meal worm food and you will need a container w/ a lid w/ holes -- supers meal horn worms are all treat worms and should be fed every other day or couple--
Nutrition Content
kale is a great staple feeder

kaitlynp

Original Poster
do you know how old he is and how much he weighs? it is awesome he eats salads so well. the bugs kind of depend on age. as they grow older they need less protein. you mentioned calcium, are you giving any vitamins?

for reference: our guy is almost 2 and weighs about 475 grams. he has salads daily, which he either eats or he doesn't. up to him. those get fed to the roaches at the end of the day if he doesn't finish them. he gets roaches 3 times a week, as many as he feels like eating. they are large so he eats between 3-5 on those days. worms he gets on occasion because they are more of a treat than a staple feeder. he refuses to eat anything dusted, so he gets liquid calcium 3x a week and liquid vitamins 1x a week.

when he was a baby though he would eat between 60-100 bugs a day and we just let him eat until he stopped, 2x a day. SPENDY! but definitely worth it as we took him in as an emaciated 11 grams at 6 months old rescue.
according to the old owners he’s about 13 years old. I’m not sure how much he weights and don’t have any way to weigh him at the moment. Very skinny though.

I haven’t been able to find roaches and honestly they give me the creeps. Crickets sell out at our local pet store so quickly that I have only been able to get those twice.

What kind of vitamins should he be taking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok please get him on a staple feeder you can order on line they are cheaper anyway
these people are really good for sending out most everything I have never ordered live insects tho - pet stores are terribly unreliable for live food -- especially in the winter --
I was like you and the roaches -- yuck--- now I would not change for anything -- I went w / the crickets and got so tired of them dying and the stink was terrible also the chirping--- not to mention escape artist -- I keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food and dubia crystals along w/ food I feed the dragons-
he should be on calcium D3 regular calcium and vitamins w/ beta carotene - since he is so skinny etc I would like AHBD to advise you on this-------also NO enemas at the vet -- please take one in w/ you and they like them w/ in 24 hrs
@AHBD

kaitlynp

Original Poster
He needs a staple feeder -- crickets -- dubia roaches-- BSFL -- or silkworms-- did I help you get your UVB set up? I would add some different greens to his diet like collards turnip greens or mustard - when you get your staple feeder please start dusting those - I would feed him 2-3 times per week of the insects --
www.dubiaroaches.com great place for roaches --horn worms -- they have super worms but I like the ones from here better Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms they will come in a tube so you will need to get the meal worm food and you will need a container w/ a lid w/ holes -- supers meal horn worms are all treat worms and should be fed every other day or couple--
Nutrition Content
kale is a great staple feeder
He’s had calci worms, silk worms, wax worms, and horn worms. I’ve been using that link to feed him! I make sure he gets more of the items in green and use the stuff in black to just add some variety to his mix of food for the day. For example: I’ll give him a bowl in the morning with mostly collards and a few other veggies. On days where he gets live things, I’ll add a few silkworms and one or two wax worms on top of the bowl. Then I’ll sprinkle some calcium and D3 powders on top.

As for the lighting, I believe so. I put the UVB across the cage width wise and then have the basking lamp in the corner. At night I take both of those off and turn on the ceramic bulb to make sure the heat doesn’t drop too low. Keep in mind this is just until I move (currently renting and space is limited) and can get him that larger set up. Then I’ll be able to hang his lights properly.

OH. I also got him some of the shelf lining flooring you suggested and am loving it. Super easy to clean.

He seems happier and is way more active than from my last post.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, if he's 13 yrs. old he is a very senior beardie ! He must have had very good care by his previous owner. Can you post pics of him , just his head showing there so no way to see his body condition. It sounds like you're doing a good job so far though. :)

kaitlynp

Original Poster
Ok please get him on a staple feeder you can order on line they are cheaper anyway
these people are really good for sending out most everything I have never ordered live insects tho - pet stores are terribly unreliable for live food -- especially in the winter --
I was like you and the roaches -- yuck--- now I would not change for anything -- I went w / the crickets and got so tired of them dying and the stink was terrible also the chirping--- not to mention escape artist -- I keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food and dubia crystals along w/ food I feed the dragons-
he should be on calcium D3 regular calcium and vitamins w/ beta carotene - since he is so skinny etc I would like AHBD to advise you on this-------also NO enemas at the vet -- please take one in w/ you and they like them w/ in 24 hrs
@AHBD
@AHBD
Okay, thanks. I will try the roaches. Once I get his new tank I can put them in this one. I’ll also order him some vitamins.

The stool sample shouldn’t be an issue. Because he eats so much and poops every day, I feel like he may have a parasite. It’s hard to tell though bc there’s only been positive changes since I’ve had him. I just want this vet to check for it all. I’m having to drive like 2 hours just to take him because I live in the middle of no where.

kaitlynp

Original Poster
Wow, if he's 13 yrs. old he is a very senior beardie ! He must have had very good care by his previous owner. Can you post pics of him , just his head showing there so no way to see his body condition. It sounds like you're doing a good job so far though. :)
They weren’t taking good care of him at all, I have no clue how he’s made it 13 years. He had no lighting except a regular lamp bulb for the past few years, the carpet he had was matted with feces and a dry mix of bearded dragon food which was his main source of nutrition.

Here’s a picture of him next to a 2oz container of calcium dust and one from the side.

Attachments

• C5832C5F-182C-4373-9DFF-068BAA092A66.jpeg
    C5832C5F-182C-4373-9DFF-068BAA092A66.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 957BD393-E570-4918-B8C9-96E4879D4E0C.jpeg
    957BD393-E570-4918-B8C9-96E4879D4E0C.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 82

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, that sounds terrible but all in all he looks just slightly too thin there so he's doing pretty well now. They might not have known his exact age but if he's 13 he looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom