How much holding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I have a baby that's 6 weeks and I take him out 3 times a day and hold him for about 5 minutes. We walk outside or around the house. Well the last few times he has had stress marks and turns really dark. Should I still hold him a few more minutes while he's stressed or put him back. I baby talk and try to relax him while stroking his beard and his head.

I guess I just need to know how much is to much? I don't want him too stressed. I know he's little but I want him to be handled so he becomes a nice adult.

dasher

Hatchling Member
you can never give your beardie too much love but don't smother them while hugging if you do this you should be able to have a nice b.d. when he grows up. He's so cute

Katsmomma

Juvie Member
How long have you had your new beardie? My guess from his age is that you haven't had him very long. Much of his stress may come from relocation. I got my little boy at about the same age, and he was pretty nervous and stressed for about a week or so. I did what you did and just handled him for very short periods of time. I tried to leave him alone most of the time, so he could get used to his new surroundings. He is now almost 6 months old...and if he has stress marks...they disappear immediately when I pick him up! LOL.

Some beardies seem to get pretty nervous going outside...my old beardie did...and my new beardie still does sometimes. They don't like the birds flying by, and the sound of trees rustling, etc. You might try waiting on that a little until he is more comfortable with you holding him. Also - if you are walking around alot with him, you might try standing still for a while as well. Perhaps the movement makes him unsure. I would definitely continue to pick him up at least once a day though. Many on the forum recommend picking them up just a couple of minutes before lights go out at night. They are usually more tired and less likely to protest!

Good luck with your new beardie!

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have had him a few weeks now & I think he is more aware of his suroundings so the birds and movement could be scary at this age. He does like looking out the window in a chair we sit in so we will try that for now and see if his black beard will go away.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
1happymommy":4acf8 said:
I have a baby that's 6 weeks and I take him out 3 times a day and hold him for about 5 minutes. We walk outside or around the house. Well the last few times he has had stress marks and turns really dark. Should I still hold him a few more minutes while he's stressed or put him back. I baby talk and try to relax him while stroking his beard and his head.

I guess I just need to know how much is to much? I don't want him too stressed. I know he's little but I want him to be handled so he becomes a nice adult.

Your beardie is absolutely beautiful :love5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom