how many insects should I get

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I'm going to buy a baby bearded dragon today and wondering how many crickets and dubias i should get with it? I know they eat quite alot and though pinhead crickets arent an option but 1/2" and 3/4" are. not sure about exact size of dubias but they come small.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm going to buy a baby bearded dragon today and wondering how many crickets and dubias i should get with it? I know they eat quite alot and though pinhead crickets arent an option but 1/2" and 3/4" are. not sure about exact size of dubias but they come small.
Babies need small please post a pic of the dragon and the tank and lighting--- where are you getting the dragon from and are you buying a "kit" ? We can better help you w/ the insects if we can see the dragon

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Babies need small please post a pic of the dragon and the tank and lighting--- where are you getting the dragon from and are you buying a "kit" ? We can better help you w/ the insects if we can see the dragon
I have no pictures and I wont be home again until after I have the dragon. I'm using a t8 36" uvb tube bulb in the tank 6or 7 inches away from the basking spot. im using a 150 watt zoo med bulb for basking and the temps are around 108-110 im also using a 100 watt bulb to help heat the rest of the cage. the cool side is around 80 and the warm is high 80s but im working to get it into the 90s. that tank is 4x2x2 from dubia.com. ive got some hides and wood to climb on and a hammock for basking with a paper towel substrate. I will be getting the dragon from a local pet store and will not be buying a kit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have no pictures and I wont be home again until after I have the dragon. I'm using a t8 36" uvb tube bulb in the tank 6or 7 inches away from the basking spot. im using a 150 watt zoo med bulb for basking and the temps are around 108-110 im also using a 100 watt bulb to help heat the rest of the cage. the cool side is around 80 and the warm is high 80s but im working to get it into the 90s. that tank is 4x2x2 from dubia.com. ive got some hides and wood to climb on and a hammock for basking with a paper towel substrate. I will be getting the dragon from a local pet store and will not be buying a kit.
the distance is good for 6-8 inches-- for a 4x2x2 tank I recommend upgrading that T 8 to a T 5 -- you will need to buy a whole new fixture and it too will need to be inside the tank the distance is going to be different - I would look at getting a 24" tho - easier to work w/ when having to go inside the tank -- the tank size for your baby is too big for now - I would partition it off in like 1/3rds if possible - how are you getting the surface basking temps? You want two digital probe thermometers -- you can look at the Zen Habitat black mats for substrate or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
the distance is good for 6-8 inches-- for a 4x2x2 tank I recommend upgrading that T 8 to a T 5 -- you will need to buy a whole new fixture and it too will need to be inside the tank the distance is going to be different - I would look at getting a 24" tho - easier to work w/ when having to go inside the tank -- the tank size for your baby is too big for now - I would partition it off in like 1/3rds if possible - how are you getting the surface basking temps? You want two digital probe thermometers -- you can look at the Zen Habitat black mats for substrate or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -
I've never heard of a tank being to big even for a baby? what problems will the large tank cause with a baby?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I've never heard of a tank being to big even for a baby? what problems will the large tank cause with a baby?
They do better w/ smaller areas when young - its easier for you to take care of them as well -- I know AHBD always recommends smaller areas - she can better answer that question for you
@AHBD

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
They do better w/ smaller areas when young - its easier for you to take care of them as well -- I know AHBD always recommends smaller areas - she can better answer that question for you
@AHBD
if I'm buying 1/2" crickets for a small bearded dragon would 100 be enough or would you recommend more? the only day we wouldnt be able to purchase crickets would be on sundays

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
if I'm buying 1/2" crickets for a small bearded dragon would 100 be enough or would you recommend more? the only day we wouldnt be able to purchase crickets would be on sundays
That should be enough- its keeping them alive is going to be tough ---- please do not leave any crickets in the tank over night you will need to get them out crickets tend to bite the dragon and they can cause infection -- I would recommend getting his some BSFL and start him on dubia roaches - better insect nutritionally wise -- I would start getting your feeders on line its going to be cheaper in the long run -- Pet Stores are not reliable for feeders as well -- I would recommend feeding him 2 or 3 crickets at a time so you can keep count --- another reason for smaller tank size ---- hes going to go thru relocation stress so his appetite will be off --- he may eat alot the first day and the next day maybe nothing - but you want him eating --- at least something -- NO meal worms please they can cause impaction in babies -- the exoskeleton is too harsh on their stomachs

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
That should be enough- its keeping them alive is going to be tough ---- please do not leave any crickets in the tank over night you will need to get them out crickets tend to bite the dragon and they can cause infection -- I would recommend getting his some BSFL and start him on dubia roaches - better insect nutritionally wise -- I would start getting your feeders on line its going to be cheaper in the long run -- Pet Stores are not reliable for feeders as well -- I would recommend feeding him 2 or 3 crickets at a time so you can keep count --- another reason for smaller tank size ---- hes going to go thru relocation stress so his appetite will be off --- he may eat alot the first day and the next day maybe nothing - but you want him eating --- at least something -- NO meal worms please they can cause impaction in babies -- the exoskeleton is too harsh on their stomachs
thank you i will be buying crickets and dubias and im starting my own dubia colony and considering the same with crickets. can you explain what you mean by pet stores arent reliable for feeders?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
thank you i will be buying crickets and dubias and im starting my own dubia colony and considering the same with crickets. can you explain what you mean by pet stores arent reliable for feeders?
Two winters ago people were having a hard time getting feeders from the pet stores - they couldnt keep them in stock and they werent getting the shipments in - its best to go w/ a reliable source plus they are less expensive -- we can post websites for you to get them from -- its best to buy in quantity -

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Two winters ago people were having a hard time getting feeders from the pet stores - they couldnt keep them in stock and they werent getting the shipments in - its best to go w/ a reliable source plus they are less expensive -- we can post websites for you to get them from -- its best to buy in quantity -
thank you very much i will definitley keep this in mind

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
i use The #1 Source for Live Pet Food | Dubia.com they sell adult females and males for you to start your colony, just remember nothing bigger than whats between there eyes, and maybe sure to give your beardie a varietyy

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom