How many Dubai Roaches do I feed a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleD22

Hello everyone I am new here and was just blessed with a beautiful juvi red bearded dragon I named Caesar. I want him to be very healthy and I was told he only needed 5-7 dubai roaches a day, but in my research it seems like people are feeding them a lot more than that. The pet store owners told me it is actually better for the red bearded dragon to grow up not fat for their health. What is everyone else's take on this I would really appreciate how many bugs I should be feeding Caesar a day, thank you very much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off dont listen to the pet store people --- they usually give bad advice --- he needs to eat as many roaches in a 10-15 minute time span - it also depends on how big the roach is - you dont want to feed him something to big for him to eat - the size needs to be no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise ---- he also needs to be eating salads every morning -- along w/ some worms for treats like super butter meal and horn worms -- the dragon is how old you said juvie ? Roaches are a lot more filling than crickets so the amount between those two will vary --- what are you using for a UVB? Did you get the set up from the pet store people? Please NO coils NO colored bulbs NO heat mats or rocks -- if you have more questions please ask

DoubleD22

Original Poster
I am using a T5 HO Hood from Reptisun, a 100w Ceramic Infrared heat emitter, and a100w Basking spot lamp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok good where in the tank is the T 5 ? Distance and placement is key to the UVB effects -- what are your basking temps ? And how are you taking them? NO stickons please -- you want temps in the tank anywhere between 65-75 at nite

DoubleD22

Original Poster
t5 runs along the back wall and the uvb is on the right side, the left side i let him use for cooling off. And I have two therms on both sides of the tank and keep a close eye on the temps. Im just very curious about how to properly feed him. 10-15 min eating period as many as he can eat sounds like a lot, I have heard and read you can also feed them 3 times a day etc. Or 20-30 dubai roaches a day, I am just very confused by this because there are a variety of different answers. And I will buy some worms today to try and entice him to eat some salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Standard responses on here recommend as many as he can eat in a 10-15 minute time frame - when I fed Blaze I fed him salads w/ BSFL on top in the morning - usually around 20 of them to get him to the salad bowl along w/ 1-3 medium super worms then after about a hr or so later I added 10-12 dubias to his bowl he was around 5 months old or so but I got him at 3 months I believe - I think I started him on 3/8 inch roaches -- when they are small they eat a lot more roaches as he got bigger we went to the 5/8 roach he started eating less of them -- the bigger the roach gets the less they will eat - I was feeding him 2 times per day but that didnt last long as he was eating salads and worms in the morning and by that time he was full and wasnt requiring the second feeding - I would offer sometimes he would eat a few like maybe 3-4 it just depended -- I would add the roaches to the bowl as he ate them - when he quit eating I would take out what he didnt eat -- I use a bowl that the smaller worms and insects cant get out of -- the bigger roaches you cant keep in the bowl --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depending on the screen on your tank it can sit on top but if its a fine mesh screen your gonna want it inside the tank 12-15 inches directly over his basking decor -- this will play apart in his eating -- they haft to have that UVB rays and they cannot be obstructed or if they are distance again will play apart in correct UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom