How many crickets to feed by Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke007

My bearded dragon Duke is about 6 months old, 10 inches long and I have been feeding him 2-3 crickets every day and 5-7 on the weekends. A friend of ours to only feed them a few crickets during the week and put in mainly vegetables so they learn to eat them. They also said to feed them lots of crickets over the weekend. Is this the right thing to be doing because my lizard seems happy and is very energetic. Their beardies are also very large and fat so pls tell me if I am doing something write or wrong. :)

Duke007

Original Poster
My bearded dragon Duke is about 6 months old, 10 inches long and I have been feeding him 2-3 crickets every day and 5-7 on the weekends. A friend of ours to only feed them a few crickets during the week and put in mainly vegetables so they learn to eat them. They also said to feed them lots of crickets over the weekend. Is this the right thing to be doing because my lizard seems happy and is very energetic. Their beardies are also very large and fat so pls tell me if I am doing something write or wrong. :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He needs to be fed 2x to 3x a day for as much as he'll eat in 15 mins. So he can easily eat 50+ crickets a day. Babies grow very fast and needs alot of protein to keep their energy up. Their diet babies is 80% protein 20% salad. Adult is 80% salad and 20% protein.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a dragon still growing,

You should offer as many live feeders as it can eat in a 10-15 minute time span, twice a day.

This can easily = up and over 50 appropriately sized feeder insects PER DAY!

I would say you are greatly underfeeding protein wise.

At 6 months, your dragon should be quite a bit bigger than 10 inches.

-Brandon

Duke007

Original Poster
My lizard seems to be perfectly happy with what he is eating. He is not skinny at all and quite energetic I cant see him eating 50+ crickets. How can he even that many when 10 make him look like he's about to burst? Do you mean pinhead crickets or the large ones because he is receiving large crickets.

Duke007

Original Poster
I also left him alone for 3 days and left 20 crickets in his cage for him to chase around and eat but when we got home, there were still about 8 left

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Don't leave crickes in the tank when they are done eating. Crickets will bite your beardie while they sleep.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You've asked this questions twice now, how many crickets should you be feeding your dragon. At 6 mo old your dragon should be about 14" long, if not longer, so you are starving him by not giving him the crickets he needs. He needs to be fed crickets that the body is the length between his eyes and Brandon & Destiny are both right, you should be feeding him at least twice a day, medium sized crickets, as many as he'll eat on each feeding. One feeding, 5x/wk need to be dusted with calcium and twice a week one feeding dusted with vit/min. He should also be given a 20 min warm bath at least 4x/wk to make sure he's hydrated.

So even more important than the food is the lighting. what type of UVB are you using and what type of basking light & what temps is the basking spot. They need UVB all day long (if a tube should be a Reptisun 10.0) and they need at least 103F temp on the basking spot, as they need the neat to digest. Your dragon is not digesting properly if he's only eating those few crickets a day, and if they're large crickets, they're probably too large for him at that age.

You need to look at all of these things to have a healthy dragon. I have a lot of experience with dragons from 3 mo old to 10 1/2 yrs old. I've been rescuing dragons for over 7 years and have 6 healthy male dragons right now. I have a lot of friends who have dragons that I've helped get the right husbandry and their dragons are doing well and are much larger than yours.

You asked a question and it was answered twice, and you're now saying that your dragon is fine when it's not. It's better, if you're asking people who have raised dragons to be very healthy, to listen to us & make sure your dragon has all it needs.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You came to ask a question, and now you don't believe the people telling you? What was the point of asking the question then?

You are feeding him wrong, the advice you got was wrong, and the advice your friend gave you was wrong. Fact.

My dragons reach 10 inchs at like 3 months old. And that is not abnormal. It's because they are fed proper and healthy.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Duke007":yv022me9 said:
Do you mean pinhead crickets or the large ones because he is receiving large crickets.
I mean exactly what I said, appropriately sized feeders. At 10 inches long, I can hardly see large crickets as appropriately sized. They would be much too big for a 10 inch dragon. Feed a size that is no bigger than the space between your dragons eyes.

-Brandon

Duke007

Original Poster
My lizards lighting is 150w zoo med and the basking spot is 115F. I don't know the UVB bulb because it came with the kit we bought. The lizard is not going to eat 50 crickets per day. I give him warm baths frequently as suggested. I will try to feed him the # of crickets as he is long.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
115 is too hot for a basking spot. It should never go above 110. And this is assuming you are measuring with either a digital thermometer with probe end, or a temp gun. If you are using a dial thermometer, they have been proven to be close to 40 degrees off in certain cases.

Remember when I said lighting and heat have a huge effect on appetite? Well I can almost guarantee you that your lighting setup currently, isn't up to par, and is effecting your dragons appetite.

Your dragon CAN eat that much and more, just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean your dragon can't, or doesn't need to.

I highly suggest reading the care sheet on this site:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/
Please pay close attention to the lighting and heating section. It honestly will take 2 minutes to read.

-Brandon

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Duke007":ew873dzi said:
My lizards lighting is 150w zoo med and the basking spot is 115F. I don't know the UVB bulb because it came with the kit we bought. The lizard is not going to eat 50 crickets per day. I give him warm baths frequently as suggested. I will try to feed him the # of crickets as he is long.

The UVB light that you get in a "kit" isn't appropriate for him. How do you know that the lizard isn't going to eat 50 crickets per day? You do not feed crickets based on the number of inches he is. You need to be feeding appropriately sized crickets (smaller than the length between his eyes) to your dragon. That means that he needs to eat 2-3 times per day as many as he will eat in 10-15minutes per time.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He's been told a few times the same thing, Brandi, and he won't listen. I feel sorry for his beardie, as 10" at 6 mo old means he's not getting what he needs and his lights aren't right, plus his basking spot is way too hot. So I hope this member's dragon lives, because at the rate this owner is going, his dragon is going to get very sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom