How long.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Nova still won't eat. It's been...a week.? Almost two.? Now she won't even eat supers or silkworms. She didn't eat her salad today or yesterday. She's otherwise acting normal, normal poops and basks okay. She still runs around and seems active and not lethargic and is gaining. A few days ago, she was 620, which is up from a few weeks prior and just now, she's 637. How can she eat maybe two worms a day, if that and gain 15 grams.? At what point do we bring her to the vet.?

Also, we gave her that 10.0 uvb bulb and she did *not* like it. She was constantly stressed and really really streaked but if we put her basking bulb, it gets way too hot in her tank. I'm at the end of my ropes, the stress is killing me. At what point do we need to intervene.?

Attachments

• 16814120160081560452958582799678.jpg
    16814120160081560452958582799678.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nova still won't eat. It's been...a week.? Almost two.? Now she won't even eat supers or silkworms. She didn't eat her salad today or yesterday. She's otherwise acting normal, normal poops and basks okay. She still runs around and seems active and not lethargic and is gaining. A few days ago, she was 620, which is up from a few weeks prior and just now, she's 637. How can she eat maybe two worms a day, if that and gain 15 grams.? At what point do we bring her to the vet.?

Also, we gave her that 10.0 uvb bulb and she did *not* like it. She was constantly stressed and really really streaked but if we put her basking bulb, it gets way too hot in her tank. I'm at the end of my ropes, the stress is killing me. At what point do we need to intervene.?
Is she gravid? Gaining weight and not eating does not make any sense --- what 10.0 bulb are you talking about a Reptisun UVB? What are you using for bulbs in the tank --- Lets go over all of them-- she has no bulbs at all now?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that she's gravid like Karrie said. Other than that, they can continue gaining weight when they are on that trajectory even if they slow way down on their eating.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
It's possible that she's gravid like Karrie said. Other than that, they can continue gaining weight when they are on that trajectory even if they slow way down on their eating.
I've been checking and I haven't felt any eggs. She's not lethargic, but she's never been super active to begin with. We gave her a dig box about two weeks ago and she spends a lot of time in it.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Is she gravid? Gaining weight and not eating does not make any sense --- what 10.0 bulb are you talking about a Reptisun UVB? What are you using for bulbs in the tank --- Lets go over all of them-- she has no bulbs at all now?
I don't remember the uvb brand, but it's a 10.0 t5 12% uvb tube light and a 50watt thrive basking bulb. We got her a new tank from dubia and stacked toothless' tank on top of hers so we had to hang her lights in her tank (until we get the spacer) and as a result, her two lights make the floor and her hide way way too hot. Even with just the uvb bulb on and the basking bulb off, it's a good 90° in her tank and the hide is like 97, which is right around where she likes it. I'm hoping once we get the spacer, we can create more distance between her and her lights and that temp problem will sort out. But her not eating goes beyond this.

But if we put the tube light back in, she gets really dark and streaked out and just constantly stays that way and I don't know why.

We feed her kale, collard, mustard, turnip and bok choy, hornworms, supers, silks, mealworms, dubias and roaches and turns them all away except for the hornworms, and maybe the silkworms. She will eat hornworms and was eating superworms but she's refusing those now. She will eat nothing else and I know it's not a "I refuse to eat until I get a hornworm" thing because she didn't get them often enough. Her weight is without her tail, the scale was too small so she's probably closer to 650 or so. I don't feel any eggs in her belly and it's still nice and soft. I don't understand why she's gaining but not eating, especially enough to match how much she's gaining.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't remember the uvb brand, but it's a 10.0 t5 12% uvb tube light and a 50watt thrive basking bulb. We got her a new tank from dubia and stacked toothless' tank on top of hers so we had to hang her lights in her tank (until we get the spacer) and as a result, her two lights make the floor and her hide way way too hot. Even with just the uvb bulb on and the basking bulb off, it's a good 90° in her tank and the hide is like 97, which is right around where she likes it. I'm hoping once we get the spacer, we can create more distance between her and her lights and that temp problem will sort out. But her not eating goes beyond this.

But if we put the tube light back in, she gets really dark and streaked out and just constantly stays that way and I don't know why.

We feed her kale, collard, mustard, turnip and bok choy, hornworms, supers, silks, mealworms, dubias and roaches and turns them all away except for the hornworms, and maybe the silkworms. She will eat hornworms and was eating superworms but she's refusing those now. She will eat nothing else and I know it's not a "I refuse to eat until I get a hornworm" thing because she didn't get them often enough. Her weight is without her tail, the scale was too small so she's probably closer to 650 or so. I don't feel any eggs in her belly and it's still nice and soft. I don't understand why she's gaining but not eating, especially enough to match how much she's gaining.
It sound like your using a Arcadia uvb which is a good bulb-- distance for the uvb should be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches- if it's any closer the rays are probably too strong that would be a good reason for the behavior - also how close is the basking bulb - it should be no closer than 6"- if it is not that close it sounds like their is a ventilation issue

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
It sound like your using a Arcadia uvb which is a good bulb-- distance for the uvb should be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches- if it's any closer the rays are probably too strong that would be a good reason for the behavior - also how close is the basking bulb - it should be no closer than 6"- if it is not that close it sounds like their is a ventilation issue
From the floor, it's 15 inches. Her spot, it's about 10 but it isn't directly over her. The light supports have it only hitting the edge of her basking spot, but it hits it enough to still get her, if she's sitting on it but she lays on her floor alot. Her heat bulb is the same from the floor and about 8 inches from her basking spot.

I don't think it's ventilation because she had perfect airflow in her other tank, and that's when this started but I don't know what else is causing the behavior. We gave in and made a vet appointment for Sunday to have them look at her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
From the floor, it's 15 inches. Her spot, it's about 10 but it isn't directly over her. The light supports have it only hitting the edge of her basking spot, but it hits it enough to still get her, if she's sitting on it but she lays on her floor alot. Her heat bulb is the same from the floor and about 8 inches from her basking spot.

I don't think it's ventilation because she had perfect airflow in her other tank, and that's when this started but I don't know what else is causing the behavior. We gave in and made a vet appointment for Sunday to have them look at her.
What is she doing in the dig box?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
What is she doing in the dig box?
Digging and laying. She'll get in it, sit for awhile then just start digging and then stop and sit some more. But I think she just sits in it more than anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413_183007_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_183007_Photos.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 39

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
From what I understand it's really hard to feel infertile eggs.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If she hasn't been with Toothless they will be infertile, if there's a chance they got together you should incubate or freeze them immediately once laid. I haven't seen it personally but supposedly you can candlelight the eggs and see a red ring/dot if they are viable. @AHBD or @Claudiusx would probably be able to tell you more about that. If you are going to incubate mark the tops and always keep them facing the same direction. The embryo can become detached and die if they are turned over.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
If she hasn't been with Toothless they will be infertile, if there's a chance they got together you should incubate or freeze them immediately once laid. I haven't seen it personally but supposedly you can candlelight the eggs and see a red ring/dot if they are viable. @AHBD or @Claudiusx would probably be able to tell you more about that. If you are going to incubate mark the tops and always keep them facing the same direction. The embryo can become detached and die if they are turned over.
Well, she hasn't been with Toothless. We've been super careful at keeping them separated. She won't even eat her silkworms, she'll only eat hornworms and even then it's not with great interest... I'm getting so worried about her..

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tkidd102085
Top Bottom