How long to grow a baby roach into a adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've have had a colony for since Xmas, keep it in a 20 gallon tank, with egg cartons on one side & food (dog food & oranges/apples/carrots) on the other. I've never heated the tank because I have a gecko & my living room is always over 73F. They roaches never seem to mind, I have tons of babies. The only problem I have is one of my dragons (I have 5) love dubia adults & will eat one daily. He won't eat any other feeder even though the other 4 will only eat supers. So I have a friend I gave most of the original colony to (it was too big, so I thought) and he's been giving me his excess adults to keep my 1 dragon happy.

My questions is how long does it take a baby to grow into an adult?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the info, didn't realize it took them so long but have enough adults to last Didi for quite awhile. And I have tons of babies & just bigger so they're at least growing. What do you feed your roaches? I feed them dog food & apples or oranges but was told they also like carrots. I also hear about water crystals alot. What are they & how do they help? I'm new to roaches, have never given them anything else than apples & oranges. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
I have a couple of things that make of my roach chow. Mine love carrots, they'll drag them off the veggie plate into the egg flats. The water crystals allow for a more pure form of water than veggies if the roaches want. It also helps to keep the humidity level up.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks for that info. I put a bunch of carrot pieces into the tank, I'll see how they like them. I'll see about the water crystals, too. It's really humid where I live, would that matter?

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
They like stawberries a lot, too... Carrots and strawberries are the 2 things that my colony will drag over into the egg cartons and devour.

They also REALLY like Cheerios, I've found. :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
cheerios, that's an idea. I'll have to check out the strawberries, too. I've been putting apples but they rot so quickly & so do the applies in the summer heat, maybe a few strawberries will be better. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I think so, I was just told they're dubia. The females grow quite large, the males are smaller & have wings. I have tons of babies that are growing quite well. I wasn't told what type of dubia, so I'm lost there. I've been told by quite a few that will take 6 mo for a baby to grow to adulthood, and that's mainly what I wanted to know. Also if dog food & apples, oranges, carrots were enough for them to have sufficient nutrients and water to grow. Someone mentioned water crystals, so I'm looking into that. Otherwise I have a decent colony growing in a layers of 4 egg containers. I have only one beardie who likes to eat an adult female on most days, so that's why I wanted to know how long it took for a dubia roach to grow to adulthood. Just to make sure I have enough to keep him supplied. I have 5 dragons, only 1 eats roaches. I even have a gecko that prefers crickets. When I put small dubia into a cup in his tank, he lets them loose & herds them into his hide & won't eat them. It's strange, but that's Rocco for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom