How long is too long for Brumation

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
No he doesn't drink from a bowl I just drop it on his nose and he drinks it that way he drinks loads as well. His weight is 485g so perfect for his age. They can brumate for 4-6 months I have done all the research and I am part of alot of groups for bearded dragons 😀 he is doing just fine :) I was getting worried when he was in brumation for 4 weeks lol and I was really concerned but then I was reassured that all is normal and

They should not brumate longer than 3 months-- does he drink from a bowl? Keep an eye on the weight please

They should not brumate longer than 3 months-- does he drink from a bowl? Keep an eye on the weight please

Mt boy has only been in and out sleep for 7 weeks now. He doesn't drink out a bowl I drip it on his nose and he drinks it that way. He drinks enough cause when he has had enough he will move his head away. He is 485g so his weigh is perfect he has lost 10g that's all so he is doing just fine.

He has o

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
He has only been sleeping on and off for 7 weeks he started slowing down before that. He does wake up for heat and then goes back to sleep again. Will attach a picture so you can see him :)

Attachments

• 20221120_120210.jpg
    20221120_120210.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221120_120224.jpg
    20221120_120224.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 44

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He has only been sleeping on and off for 7 weeks he started slowing down before that. He does wake up for heat and then goes back to sleep again. Will attach a picture so you can see him :)
Hes doing the semi brumation -- which is fine -- he looks good

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes they can brumate longer than 3 months. I wake mine up after 3 though, it's easier to make sure they are not getting sick rather than wait half a year. And they don't need water every 2 days in brumation, their body shuts down and their metabolism is very slow so they can go the entire time without water but it's probably better to offer water at least once a month or every 2 weeks at the most to be sure they don't become dehydrated.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
How do you wake them up? Ragnar has been sleeping for 7 weeks but he started slowing down end of July. I will keep that in mind about the water thank you :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I just put al their lights on as if it's summer, about 13 hours a day [ some people do 14 even ] I offer water by dripping it on their nose if they look partly awake but I don't let it pool under them or you can move them slightly from the spot to mop up excess water.

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
I still have his lights on they are on 10 hours just now. Yeah I drop it on his nose as well when he is abit more awake I also put a towel under his head so his floor doesn't get wet and cause humidity in his viv.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your dragon? They can brumate 3-4 months but much longer than that, you definitely
have to start monitoring & looking into what is going on. Has he maintained his weight the best
you can tell? How do his fat pads look?

Tracie

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
Hey yeah he is maintaining his weight his fat pads looks good as well. He is looking just the same before he went into brumation just abit more lazy and sleepy. He is 17 months 21inch long and he is 485g in weight. He sleeps for a week gets up gets some heat for a couple of days gets a drink of water then back to sleep again for another week some times week and abit.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom