How long do you keep your beardie out (in the house)?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I've been looking for this post but couldn't find it- how long can you/do you/would you recommend keep your beardie out in your home? If the temperature is warm in your home and the beardie is playing- should there be a time limit? I watch Rocky's belly, no stress markings- she jumps, climbs and runs around her playpen for hours. When she gets a treat, I put her back under the light immediately, but she isn't happy (I don't care, we will not risk impaction). I later let her back out. Once Rocky is tired, she will scratch and lay down in the playpen. I get her and put her back and she's in for the night...when her official bedtime comes, she resumes her routine.

Rocky is still 4 months- no concerns.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The biggest concern about having them out for extended periods is that they aren't getting uvb. Thats provided your house isn't to cool. You can aways setup a small basking arae outside the habitat if you want to let them out longer. It doesn't have to be fancy, just setup with proper temps and distances

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thank you everyone. I just bought a stand so I can do the set up mentioned above. All of this advice was so helpful.

Fudge

Thank you everyone. I just bought a stand so I can do the set up mentioned above. All of this advice was so helpful.
Hi, I'm a bit late to the party but, Fudge will be 3 in October and spends more time running around the house than in his viv. He free roams the downstairs level and has a set of steps to his viv (not that he ever heads in there till bedtime) he also has a set of steps to the windowsill where he watches the world go by endlessly, suspended above him is an arcadia d3 UV basking lamp he also has just a heat lamp down on the floor if he wants to chill down there ( did I mention that he's one spoilt beardie? ) At the moment we've had some sunny warm weather so his chicken wire cage is hooked to the back door so he can get some natural light, until a plane goes over...then it's a 100mph dash to behind the sofa, ach! It's a good bit of exercise for him. So, I think it's up to the beardie and the owner as to how much freedom is allowed, as long as it's safe, secure and adequate UV and heat supplied and that the beardie is happy and relaxed things are all good, but it does depend on the beardie just like people they all have their own personalities. Mine is like a toddler...all yellow and stripy when he has his own way and then tan and brown while huffing under his hide giving me the side eye as he knows I'm going out, cos the door wasn't slid open first thing and boy..does he hold on to a grudge. Anyways that's my tuppence on Freedom and I'll say nae Mair cos am scottish

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi, I'm a bit late to the party but, Fudge will be 3 in October and spends more time running around the house than in his viv. He free roams the downstairs level and has a set of steps to his viv (not that he ever heads in there till bedtime) he also has a set of steps to the windowsill where he watches the world go by endlessly, suspended above him is an arcadia d3 UV basking lamp he also has just a heat lamp down on the floor if he wants to chill down there ( did I mention that he's one spoilt beardie? ) At the moment we've had some sunny warm weather so his chicken wire cage is hooked to the back door so he can get some natural light, until a plane goes over...then it's a 100mph dash to behind the sofa, ach! It's a good bit of exercise for him. So, I think it's up to the beardie and the owner as to how much freedom is allowed, as long as it's safe, secure and adequate UV and heat supplied and that the beardie is happy and relaxed things are all good, but it does depend on the beardie just like people they all have their own personalities. Mine is like a toddler...all yellow and stripy when he has his own way and then tan and brown while huffing under his hide giving me the side eye as he knows I'm going out, cos the door wasn't slid open first thing and boy..does he hold on to a grudge. Anyways that's my tuppence on Freedom and I'll say nae Mair cos am scottish
OMG GOALS....this is what I dream of....I am no where near this but I picture Rocky going in and out on her own but having the ability to sit in natural light in the window sill but having lights sporadically placed. Rocky will find the appropriate light to go to and sit under it. Now I know this is possible, I am so excited!!!! You may be late to the party but you brought all of the good food with you, Fudge and all!!!! Thanks so much!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I wish i could do that with mine, but i have a dog and a girlfriend (i would be more worried about her stepping on one of them than the dog) and also we have recliners they are the bane of all small animals. There was a tragic post on here a few weeks ago about a beardie that got into a recliner. I was already paranoid so now watch them and her like a hawk.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I wish i could do that with mine, but i have a dog and a girlfriend (i would be more worried about her stepping on one of them than the dog) and also we have recliners they are the bane of all small animals. There was a tragic post on here a few weeks ago about a beardie that got into a recliner. I was already paranoid so now watch them and her like a hawk.
I can't read the death stories....I read one and it simply said RIP- that's the most I can do. My heart can't take it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Same here. Im borderline obsessed with my beardies and beardies in general. I get upset evertime something happens to anyone's dragon.

Fudge

Fudge and I are delighted that Rocky is getting out to play, just keep doing what you're doing as Fudge was a similar age when I started with his routine and boy once they learn where everything is...they don't forget, they will head to the light that they need when they need it or go chill in a cool corner when they want, my biggest concern was wires! can he bite through them can he get tangled? Simple solution was cord protectors (the spiral kind) easily slipped over any cables and can be cut to size. Next problem I encountered was under the sofa's I was always worried he'd shoot out and someone would step on him, cheap solution was cardboard rolled in a tube and squished just under the base, isn't seen but is effective. As for pooping, well Fudge will climb down from the windowsill and head for his favourite spot on the kitchen floor and perform.... (Hard floor so easily wiped up and and disinfected) and then heads back to his favourite spot I can honestly say I didn't toilet train him (he did this all on his own) but, it's much appreciated. So we both wish you well with your goals for Rocky and know that you'll succeed, as he's already enjoying playtime, so is a confident little beardie. I'm well aware that free roaming isn't possible for everyone or for all beardies, it was a personal choice I made when I got him and saw how much he loved company and running around and when he does that little head twist and looks straight at you with his orange chin...well my heart just melts a little....that little booger has me wrapped round his little scaly finger. Rocky is in for a treat!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Fudge and I are delighted that Rocky is getting out to play, just keep doing what you're doing as Fudge was a similar age when I started with his routine and boy once they learn where everything is...they don't forget, they will head to the light that they need when they need it or go chill in a cool corner when they want, my biggest concern was wires! can he bite through them can he get tangled? Simple solution was cord protectors (the spiral kind) easily slipped over any cables and can be cut to size. Next problem I encountered was under the sofa's I was always worried he'd shoot out and someone would step on him, cheap solution was cardboard rolled in a tube and squished just under the base, isn't seen but is effective. As for pooping, well Fudge will climb down from the windowsill and head for his favourite spot on the kitchen floor and perform.... (Hard floor so easily wiped up and and disinfected) and then heads back to his favourite spot I can honestly say I didn't toilet train him (he did this all on his own) but, it's much appreciated. So we both wish you well with your goals for Rocky and know that you'll succeed, as he's already enjoying playtime, so is a confident little beardie. I'm well aware that free roaming isn't possible for everyone or for all beardies, it was a personal choice I made when I got him and saw how much he loved company and running around and when he does that little head twist and looks straight at you with his orange chin...well my heart just melts a little....that little booger has me wrapped round his little scaly finger. Rocky is in for a treat!
Thank you so much! This information is beyond helpful. Now that I have my front door enclosure, I think I will leave it open as part of the training. When Rocky feels comfortable, she will be able to enter and exit as she pleases.
There's another benefit to the playpen because when I visit my parent's house, I will take it with us and she will feel somewhat at home. I had her sleep in it as well so it wont be too much.

Again, I thank you for this because the cardboard tip is something I would never have thought of!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
a pool noodle might work for the cardboard under the couch too. our house is ancient and there is a huge gap under the doors in my office. sir henry figured out he could do a mad dash and fit right under them. (cause the living room and kitchen must be amazing if he's not allowed out there, right???!!!) took a noodle and split it length wise on one side and have it wrapped around the bottom of each door. problem solved!
IMG_20220704_104920848.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The image in my head of Sir Henry sliding under the door is cracking me up!! :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it was absolutely freaking hilarious! like the hero in an action movie sliding under the door coming down just in time as it closes. wish i had a video of it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom